Durable but high quality clincher

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

basilic

by basilic

Not italian but japanese: panaracer-made Grand bois tires (similar to Compass tires, but I have not ridden those).
they are very supple, ride nicely, wear well. If you tend to get sidewall cuts get the standard casing, not the extralite.
The 26mm goes to 27mm on a wider rim, so bigger than a Veloflex 25. They also make a 23mm, but I have not tried that size.

Previously I have weighed the extraléger versions in 26mm (tan sidewalls)
188, 189, 192, 192g

Add maybe 20g for the standard version

AJS914

by AJS914

Go German - Conti GP 4000S. Lots of people love them - a few seem to hate them...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

I hate them, used to flat them every month. Switched to the older michelins and then to the newer power comps, no flats in 1y.

@cranks. That bike looks killer!

C36

by C36

AJS914 wrote:Go German - Conti GP 4000S. Lots of people love them - a few seem to hate them...

They roll well but feel terrible (stiff)... Can't say for puncture / flats... Punched 3 times in 10 years (almost all in Michelin starting with hi synergy, different axials pro and about to switch to power)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Bcoxa

by Bcoxa

Been using Bontrager R4 320 this summer, best clincher I've used. But then I've only used a variety of continental before.

Vagabond

by Vagabond

SL1 wrote:Are you installing the Velflex's on carbon clincher rims by any chance ?

Any chance of a pic of the sidewall failure ?

Thanks for the replies everyone! Tires are being mounted to AL Shamals. I've thrown the tires out so no pictures. They always fail in the same place. Part of the sidewall just disintegrates. 115 psi rear, 110 front. Well within their tolerances. I don't like pinch fllats.

After reading your replies and rmany online reviews, I ordered some Vittoria Gs. I'll post here to let you all know how they compare to the Veloflex.
Colnago e Campagnolo

AJS914

by AJS914

They roll well but feel terrible (stiff)...

I've never found the Grand Prix to be terribly stiff. I've compared them with Michelin Pro4s and Vittoria EVO Corsa CX "open clinchers". The Vittoria's were definitely more supple but it wasn't a dramatic difference to me.

I did try Conti Gatorskins and they were like truck tires. I also tried the 4-Season and it was ok - kind of between the Gatorskin and the GrandPrix.

Drpoomanchu

by Drpoomanchu

I’m going Michelin Power Comps 25 this time around. If I have issues I will likely go back to the Michelin Pro4’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Another vote for Panaracaer. I've got race D evo 3, they are grippy and durable or you can try the type A evo 3. I've only got 600kms on them which for me is nothing, so time will tell how puncture resistant they are. The Conti 4 seasons are pretty tough, but have a bit of a sub par corner feel. GP 4000S2s are great, but for my conditions too weak.

sawyer

by sawyer

AJS914 wrote:
They roll well but feel terrible (stiff)...

I've never found the Grand Prix to be terribly stiff. I've compared them with Michelin Pro4s and Vittoria EVO Corsa CX "open clinchers". The Vittoria's were definitely more supple but it wasn't a dramatic difference to me.

Agreed on GP4000S/S2s. They roll well, grip well, and they are pretty comfortable. It's a clever tyre - tpi less relevant in this case. Open tubular = clincher. Vittorias are so-so tbh. Ride is pretty good yes, but QC isn't good.

You have to go to Veloflex to really get a material ride quality benefit vs GP4000/Open Corsa etc etc
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

dim

by dim

spdntrxi wrote:I've been a turbo cottons most of the summer... hitting all kinds of marbles and whatnot... Well over 1000 miles so far.. the rear is starting to square off, but less then conti's too me. The front is still looking good.

brilliant tyres ... grip like super glue and roll very fast .... I've taken mine off (for now) and have replaced them with IRC tubeless tyres for winter .... the Turbo Cottons will be used again in Spring (940km so far.... still look brand new and zero punctures) ...
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

simplemind

by simplemind

I'm going to stick my neck out and say Schwalbe Pro One tubeless in 700c-28. Why...because the lower the pressure, the less likely for a puncture (do your research). I weigh 165 and run 80 psi. I may give up some in rolling resistance, however I think I make up for it by 1) fewer flats (as in 0), 2) less fatigue because of the smoother ride. 3) better overall traction because of the contact patch size.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

simplemind wrote:I'm going to stick my neck out and say Schwalbe Pro One tubeless in 700c-28. Why...because the lower the pressure, the less likely for a puncture (do your research). I weigh 165 and run 80 psi. I may give up some in rolling resistance, however I think I make up for it by 1) fewer flats (as in 0), 2) less fatigue because of the smoother ride. 3) better overall traction because of the contact patch size.

I would never call Schwalbe Pro Ones 'durable'. They are paper thin and I punctured constantly, personally I hated them, because my sealant wouldn't seal them until the pressure dropped to 30-40psi. I wanted Orange Sealant for them but couldn't get it without waiting weeks in the post. You could call the Schwalbe G-One (30mm) durable if you can fit it.

DeLuz

by DeLuz

I liked Michelin Pro3/4 but rolling resistance is terrible.
I agree Conti GP4000 feels stiff.
I am happy with Schwable One clincher (non tubeless)
Smooth ride and better durability than GP4000

C36

by C36

DeLuz wrote:I liked Michelin Pro3/4 but rolling resistance is terrible.
I agree Conti GP4000 feels stiff.
I am happy with Schwable One clincher (non tubeless)
Smooth ride and better durability than GP4000

Give a try to the Michelin comp. Among the very best in rolling and way "flexier" /"smoother" (?) than the gp4k.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com