Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:41 pm

All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:51 pm
Posts: 2
I'm thinking of switching to conti gp4000 s2 28mm but since they are oversized, pumped up to 31mm I think. Both 2016 supersix evo HM and R8000 claim to take 28mm, I'm not sure if actual width of 28mm gp4000 would fit. Anybody has an experience on this?

*note: wheels are vision metron, 17mm internal, 25mm external.

Cheers :D


Top
   
Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:59 pm 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:32 pm
Posts: 34
nick312 wrote:
I'm thinking of switching to conti gp4000 s2 28mm but since they are oversized, pumped up to 31mm I think. Both 2016 supersix evo HM and R8000 claim to take 28mm, I'm not sure if actual width of 28mm gp4000 would fit. Anybody has an experience on this?

*note: wheels are vision metron, 17mm internal, 25mm external.

Cheers :D


They'll fit - I tried 28mm Pro Ones's on my HI that measured 31mm - the was plenty of room around the stays however the 6800 brake clearance was tight..




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:58 pm
Posts: 257
Location: Wet coast, Canada
One of my riding partners has a 2016 EVO HM and yes, the frame has clearance for the Conti GP4000 700x28 but if one is running Shimano brakes then the clearance to the caliper is VERY tight. To the point where if something gets stuck on the tire it will be scraping or jamming against the caliper. I have observed this a couple of times with said riding partner, using Dura-Ace 9000 calipers. He's very stubborn and continues to ride these tires but honestly, he should just run 700x25. His rims are 17mm internal.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:13 pm
Posts: 250
Bigger Gear wrote:
One of my riding partners has a 2016 EVO HM and yes, the frame has clearance for the Conti GP4000 700x28 but if one is running Shimano brakes then the clearance to the caliper is VERY tight. To the point where if something gets stuck on the tire it will be scraping or jamming against the caliper. I have observed this a couple of times with said riding partner, using Dura-Ace 9000 calipers. He's very stubborn and continues to ride these tires but honestly, he should just run 700x25. His rims are 17mm internal.


Just wondering, would there be brake option with more clearance than DA 9000?


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:40 pm
Posts: 587
stockae92 wrote:
Bigger Gear wrote:
One of my riding partners has a 2016 EVO HM and yes, the frame has clearance for the Conti GP4000 700x28 but if one is running Shimano brakes then the clearance to the caliper is VERY tight. To the point where if something gets stuck on the tire it will be scraping or jamming against the caliper. I have observed this a couple of times with said riding partner, using Dura-Ace 9000 calipers. He's very stubborn and continues to ride these tires but honestly, he should just run 700x25. His rims are 17mm internal.


Just wondering, would there be brake option with more clearance than DA 9000?


yes
DA R9100
or ultegra R8000


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:58 pm
Posts: 257
Location: Wet coast, Canada
The clearance issue is with the pivot "knuckle" that is at the lowest point. Viewing from behind, this would be the pivot to the left. When I look at the 9000 caliper versus the 9100 in pictures this does not look to be significantly different but the only way to know would be to the see a SuperSix mounted with 9100 and Conti 28s.

SRAM Red brakes seem to have oodles of clearance.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:28 pm
Posts: 1371
Problem is that the GP4000 II 700x28mm is not really a 28mm tire.
So they don't work well in many stock bikes that say a 28mm fits.
I have found them to be super tight on the Parlee Altum, Trek Emonda, etc..
Barely clearing does not equal clearing in my book-

It would be great if Conti made a size that was halfway in between their 25mm and their 28mm- maybe a 26.5?

This does not hold true on the 4 seasons tire- It is pretty true to a 28mm.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:52 am
Posts: 93
That is going to be tight around the chin stays and really tight around the caliper. Keep in mind that the casing will stretch a bit after some riding, making it even wider. Go with 25s.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:47 pm
Posts: 149
Pro teams at Paris Roubaix sometimes use DA 7900 brakes because of the clearance with 30mm tires. Cable pull ratio is compatible with today's STIs.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm
Posts: 998
Its not about brakes clearance but how high the brake bridge is and whether the fork is made for mid-reach brakes. To prove my point, my Dura Ace 9000 brakes can clear 35mm tires due to frame design. I highly doubt that Conti 28mm GP4000s will clear any modern aluminum/carbon frames. Yes, I did my research. This tire measure ~ 31mm tall and ~32mm wide. There are exception (e.g. boutique carbon frames and Trek Domane). I had to get a steel frame to clear 28mm Conti GP4000S tires.

_________________
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

:nospamhere:


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:51 pm
Posts: 2
Thanks everyone

Decided to order 28mm already, if they don't fit then I'll have to stick with 25mm. will photo update when they arrive :D


Top
   
Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:28 pm 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:37 pm
Posts: 136
They did NOT fit on my 2016 Evo HiMod 56cm. The issue was the height of the tire, it was very tight but clear in the stand but rubbed the actual frame brake bridge on bumpy roads. On my set up the Ultegra 6800 caliper clearance was about 1mm above the brake bridge so the brake itself wasn't an issue.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Supersix 2016 FORK on a Supersix 2014 FRAME

[ Go to page: 1 2 3 ]

in Road

garjo

35

4120

Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:12 pm

tarmackev View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Michelin Power Endurance 28mm

in Road

shoemakerpom2010

3

806

Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:45 pm

shoemakerpom2010 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Attachment(s) 2016/17 Cervelo S5 help please

in Road

simurs4

6

1396

Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:33 pm

cpark View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Best carbon seatpost for a 2016 Evo?

in Road

chadm

4

775

Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:31 am

chadm View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Cube litening C68 SLT 2016

in Road

Alexandrumarian

4

479

Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:19 pm

cleverleaf View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Asmith, Boshk, Google [Bot], jacobeh, ms6073, raisinberry777, Spinnekop, Yahoo [Bot] and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited