Would I be mad to buy EPS instead of eTap?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

karmaz

by karmaz

shamrock134 wrote: Secondly, what the hell does the magnet strap do? I put it around the seat tube where the battery is and nothing seems to happen. It still shifts and the junction box will still flash if I press the mode button.

Sounds like you're putting the magnet in the wrong place then. I use mine every time I travel with the bike, hell even when doing some maintenance, and it works a treat.

Try sliding it up/down the seat tube in small increments and see if you can't hit the right spot. Once you do, make sure to mark it.

nismosr

by nismosr

2old4this wrote:2- after so many years, EPS still doesn't have a way to shift if you are holding the bars. You have to move your hands from the bars to the hoods and back. (I live in a hilly area where I shift quite frequently...)

You can actually use your thumb to shift if you are in the drop.
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nismosr

by nismosr

karmaz wrote:
shamrock134 wrote: Secondly, what the hell does the magnet strap do? I put it around the seat tube where the battery is and nothing seems to happen. It still shifts and the junction box will still flash if I press the mode button.

Sounds like you're putting the magnet in the wrong place then. I use mine every time I travel with the bike, hell even when doing some maintenance, and it works a treat.

Try sliding it up/down the seat tube in small increments and see if you can't hit the right spot. Once you do, make sure to mark it.

sounds like it plus the V2 and V3 comes with a sticker guide where you can strap the battery.
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

shamrock134

by shamrock134

Okay I'll have another go. Thanks guys.

I didn't build the bike so I don't know exactly where in the tube the battery is and the shop didn't mark it for me. -_-

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

shamrock134 wrote:Firstly, the proprietary charging port with delicate/expensive connector. I've yet to try and plug it in yet, I'm scared of breaking the pins!

You won't break the pins - just make sure the little notch on the connector is aligned with the slot in the port. You don't need to force it - you'll feel when it's ready to be pushed home. It's really no more difficult to get right than micro USB IMHO.

shamrock134 wrote:Thirdly, I can't get the MyCampy app to pair so I can do a firmware upgrade. It initially saw the EPS and then crashed and has since never detected the groupset again.

Try this, I had a similar problem and it worked for me:

1. Close app. Unpair phone and delete EPS unit from connected devices if necessary. Turn off bluetooth.

2. Turn off EPS with the strap. Wait a ten seconds or so and then remove strap to turn back on.

3. Turn on bluetooth and pair again (be sure to include the leading zeroes in the passcode).

4. Start app and connect in 'My EPS'. Run update.

I have found that problems connecting to the app are usually solved by turning the system off and on again with the strap. Remember to press the 'mode' button as many times as necessary to prompt the EPS bluetooth connection.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

if the bike is wired for electronic shifting the advantage of e-tap goes away. the genius of e-tap is it allows sram to sell to older bike owners, that's it. shimano makes a good system
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

shamrock134

by shamrock134

Mockenrue wrote:Try this, I had a similar problem and it worked for me:

Thanks, now that I've found where to put the strap to turn EPS off I can try these steps.

I've never broken a micro-USB before but I've definitely seen multiple posts online about people breaking their EPS charging pins. :shock: