Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:20 am

All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 10:11 pm
Posts: 810
I'm looking for a frame that does it all, in other words the swiss army knife of frames/bikes: Train, race, caliper brakes, disc brakes, summer, winter, fenders, no fenders, mechanical, di2 ready.

Seems this is the only frame with all those options. I like the fact, that it has clearance for bigger tires combined with fenders, and you don't have to settle for either caliper or disc brakes.

But how is the ride? And how have you guys put it together. Anyone in here with a 4S disc?

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm
Posts: 996
I have been eyeing this frame for a while but didn't pull the trigger because of QR's. Perhaps 2018 model will get thru-axle? Value is unbeatable https://m.probikekit.com/cycling-frames ... 93792.html

_________________
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

:nospamhere:


Top
   
Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:44 am 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 10:11 pm
Posts: 810
mpulsiv wrote:

because of QR's.



Thru axle will definitely be the standard all round soon. But QR's on this frame makes really good sense to me, since I would be able ride discs during winter and change to calipers come summer. Gives a wide range of opportunities. Would even be possible to ride this bike with my carbon clinchers, that I only use for racing.

And another big advantage of this frame is, they made the geometry really aggressive with a short head tube and thus good stack/reach ratio.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:26 pm
Posts: 28
I have this frame and I cannot recommend it to anyone. Somehow that bike feels incredibly slow. I don't have a power meter on the bike so I can't check whether my feelings match the reality, but I really feel I need about 50W's more compared to my good bike (a Cervelo R3).

Not sure what is causing this slowness: it might be the (rather heavy) parts I have put on the frame (Ultegra Di2 hydraulic, Shimano RX31 wheels, metal fenders) or perhaps the tyres I am running (Conti GP4 seasons in 25mm).

Anyway, the frame is indeed versatile. Decent fender mounts, and I had no problem running Schwalbe Duranos in 28mm in combination with my full-length fenders. I even had some room to spare.
Initially they said that the frame would accept 160mm rotors back and front, but now they have adjusted their website and recommend 140mm in the back. And with good reason ... a 160mm in the back touches the inside of the frame. Good thing that the tubing is rather thick, so I only ended up with cosmetic damage.

Conclusion: good enough for slow winter rides, but that is about it.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:11 pm
Posts: 1022
-Robin- wrote:
I have this frame and I cannot recommend it to anyone. Somehow that bike feels incredibly slow. I don't have a power meter on the bike so I can't check whether my feelings match the reality, but I really feel I need about 50W's more compared to my good bike (a Cervelo R3).

Not sure what is causing this slowness: it might be the (rather heavy) parts I have put on the frame (Ultegra Di2 hydraulic, Shimano RX31 wheels, metal fenders) or perhaps the tyres I am running (Conti GP4 seasons in 25mm).

Anyway, the frame is indeed versatile. Decent fender mounts, and I had no problem running Schwalbe Duranos in 28mm in combination with my full-length fenders. I even had some room to spare.
Initially they said that the frame would accept 160mm rotors back and front, but now they have adjusted their website and recommend 140mm in the back. And with good reason ... a 160mm in the back touches the inside of the frame. Good thing that the tubing is rather thick, so I only ended up with cosmetic damage.

Conclusion: good enough for slow winter rides, but that is about it.


The fenders will slow you down, especially when you bike fast.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:26 pm
Posts: 28
There isn't much wind tunnel data about the influence of fenders to determine whether that is the only cause :roll:


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 10:11 pm
Posts: 810
Thanks for the honest review. I'm a little disappointed to hear, that it's that bad. I thought it couldn't be worse than most other alu frames, maybe except the Allez' and Caads. If you ever ride it without fenders and with carbon wheels and lighter tires, please keep us up to date if there's a difference.

I recon you ride it with rim brakes then?

Would you mind posting pictures?


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:32 am
Posts: 583
Location: Estonia
Multebear wrote:
But QR's on this frame makes really good sense to me, since I would be able ride discs during winter and change to calipers come summer. Gives a wide range of opportunities.

Some guys donĀ“t bother to change wheels on their bike (they have 3 sets) and you will change brakes :D

_________________
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"
Jamis Renegade Expert
Spark 900 RC


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 10:11 pm
Posts: 810
Ohh... I'm working on my bikes all the time. Can't help it. Changing, replacing, adjusting, upgrading, downgrading, changing back and so on. So this wouldnt be any bother at all. Probably some kind of disorder ;-)


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:26 pm
Posts: 28
Multebear wrote:
Thanks for the honest review. I'm a little disappointed to hear, that it's that bad. I thought it couldn't be worse than most other alu frames, maybe except the Allez' and Caads.

I only had a Cervelo S1 alu frame to compare it with, and that is a day-and-night difference in favor of the Cervelo. To be fair, the Cervelo had better parts on it (Dura Ace, Easton EA90 SL wheels, Conti GP4000) which would explain part of the difference.

Multebear wrote:
If you ever ride it without fenders and with carbon wheels and lighter tires, please keep us up to date if there's a difference.

Probably never going to happen. I ride it with disc brakes, and currently I do not have any carbon disc wheels. And if I would buy such wheels in the future (if I ever switch to discs on my good bike), they probably would not be QR wheels.

What I also forgot to mention is that the frame is Di2 ready, but installation is far from obvious according to my mechanic.
He had to send them an email, and if I remember correctly he had to drill some holes internally to be able to get the wires passed the bottom bracket. Also, there is no decent space for the internal battery so the battery on my bike is located inside my seatpost (at least I think it is ... I only know for sure that I have to be very careful if I want to remove the seatpost).


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:19 pm
Posts: 71
Location: Midlands, UK
It's not quite the same, but I have had a 4S as a commuter for the last 2 years and love it. Only thing I'd swap it for would be a GF Ti disc.

_________________
Weight 72kg, FTP 289W => 4.01 W/kg

Custom ti 650B Kingdom Double9 (with tubs)
Kinesis Aithein
Kinesis Racelight 4S "Rain Bike"
Ventana El Conquistador


Top
   
Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:24 pm 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 10:11 pm
Posts: 810
MikeMoore wrote:
It's not quite the same, but I have had a 4S as a commuter for the last 2 years and love it. Only thing I'd swap it for would be a GF Ti disc.


I tried to check you pics out. But they seem to bee gone:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134178


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Input on new frame (carbon, disc, bb30) - opinions welcome

in Road

ToughInTheStreets

0

117

Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:07 pm

ToughInTheStreets View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. New Kinesis Aithein Evo frame

in Road

LM7805

14

2004

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:50 pm

MayhemSWE View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Recommend me a quality headset - Kinesis Granfondo Ti V1 - UK based

in Road

Svetty

2

502

Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:42 am

kgt View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. CAAD12 Disc Fram + New Campy Disc = Compatible?

[ Go to page: 1 2 ]

in Road

NewYorkNick

19

2533

Sat May 13, 2017 8:17 pm

NewYorkNick View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Moots Vamoost RSL (non disc) vs Canyon Ultimate SLX CF DISC ?

in Road

rolfo

13

1823

Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:02 pm

rolfo View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alistaird, Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot], willmac and 37 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited