Upgrading brakes on budget

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
eyedrop

by eyedrop

Im running Ultegra 6800 brakes right now. They work great, but are a little on the chunky side for a weight weenie.

Are there any reasonably priced brakes out there with a similar cost to Shimano but a much lighter weight? Im not interested in the $1400 THM Fibula brakeset..... Looking for best weight savings per dollar in road rim brakes....

AJS914

by AJS914

People seem to like KCNC brakes as a budget weight weenie option but they are still 2X the price of Ultegra. I don't think you'll find any weight weenie options at that price. Check ebay for used offerings. You could probably score some Zero Gravity brakes for around $150 there.

by Weenie

Marin

by Marin

Fouriers July

Asteroid

by Asteroid

Others may hold the same opinion as me: stick with brakes that work well versus compromising stopping performance to save a few grams. Those 6800's stop with the best of them.
I rode a friend's bike outfitted with Cane Creek EE brakes for a few blocks. These work nearly as well as my DA9000's. Cost $400 more, however, to save a couple ounces. Unsure if I'm ready to go there just yet. :)
Oldbie

bilwit

by bilwit

Used DA9000 brakes are relatively cheap, you can get them for 200USD or less on ebay. I got a new/unused pair of direct mounts for 170USD shipped. 6800->9000 is only a saving of ~45g though. SRAM Red brakes can be had for the same price as DA9000 and will save you ~85g which is certainly a better $/g saving, but the braking performance will be lacking in comparison.

by Weenie

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

AJS914 wrote:People seem to like KCNC brakes as a budget weight weenie option but they are still 2X the price of Ultegra. I don't think you'll find any weight weenie options at that price. Check ebay for used offerings. You could probably score some Zero Gravity brakes for around $150 there.

KCNC brakes are weak when it comes to performance viewtopic.php?t=125349
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder