Campagnolo blue/red pads

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Willier

by Willier

I was wondering, what is the real difference between the two types of pads.

I know and I use blue pads with my shamals mille, and red ones with Boras, but the pads minus the colour basically look and feel the same. During last trip in the Dolomites, I saw this guy using red pads with Shamals mille and started wondering. Could someone tell more?

THx

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Willier wrote:I was wondering, what is the real difference between the two types of pads.

I know and I use blue pads with my shamals mille, and red ones with Boras, but the pads minus the colour basically look and feel the same. During last trip in the Dolomites, I saw this guy using red pads with Shamals mille and started wondering. Could someone tell more?

THx

Different composition, different hardness, different tendency to heat on braking, different heat retention ... apart from that, the same :-D

Seriously, though, yes, they are very different.

Red pads on the Milles in the wet are not good. Campagnolo tested for that. Originally it was thought that the Mille could be used with the red pads (in fact that was what it said in the launch info) but problems in the wet came to light and so the blue pad was developed.

Blue pads on carbon will cook the rim surface even braking the way that you should brake on carbon (hard and for very short periods). They generate and retain too much heat.

FWIW if you mix these pads up and you are in warranty on your wheel set, you won't be any longer ...
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

There's only one reason why you would use red pads on Shamals - when you've swapped your wheelsets but forgot to swap pads too.

Good luck back on your carbon rims with those pads full of aluminium dust, too.