Canyon vs Giant

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Boshk

by Boshk

What would you choose?
I know in US, UK etc, there's a lot of LBS that have demo bikes but in Hong Kong, its ZERO, so 'buy the bike that feels the best when you ride it' doesn't even come into equation

Canyon CF SL 9 (US$2100 inc shipping)
Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 (US$2100) at LBS

Both are Ultegra specced.
Giant has fancier wheels I believe.

Or...stay with current bike and save up for a Pinarello Gan RS in 1-2years.....hahaha....price is pretty much double the above.

OR other opinions welcome

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Both are very stiff and slightly unforgiving in terms of ride quality. I think Canyon paint looks nicer than Giant. I think the Giant frameset and build is lighter though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

i would choose based on fit after that, the one that i liked the colors on more. i know everyone loves canyon but giant seems like a very safe choice building quality bikes.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Boshk

by Boshk

TobinHatesYou wrote:Both are very stiff and slightly unforgiving in terms of ride quality. I think Canyon paint looks nicer than Giant. I think the Giant frameset and build is lighter though.

... because they are cat as full on race bikes?

Just saw another thread on it, but his is cf slx vs giant

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=145344

wwnick

by wwnick

without a doubt I would go for the Giant, that giant is an awesome bike (apart from the shimano parts :P )
also, it is always better to buy local and support your community.

canyon sl may be getting updated soon... see viewtopic.php?f=3&t=146038
and for sure there is new Ultegra RD8000 while canyon is still peddling the old 6800 on their bikes.

Boshk

by Boshk

wwnick wrote:without a doubt I would go for the Giant, that giant is an awesome bike (apart from the shimano parts :P )
also, it is always better to buy local and support your community.

canyon sl may be getting updated soon... see viewtopic.php?f=3&t=146038
and for sure there is new Ultegra RD8000 while canyon is still peddling the old 6800 on their bikes.

Most of the 2017s are still 6800s, which I guess is why prices are going down quite a bit

stoney

by stoney

I have a Giant TCR Pro 0 which has the same frame as the Pro 1 and I love it. You can't go wrong with the Giant.

kgt

by kgt

Definitely Giant, it is a higher quality frame than the Canyon.

moonoi

by moonoi

Having had a Giant TCR Adv SL and now owning a Canyon Aeroad CF SLX, I can say that there is nothing in it in terms of quality. However if you need decent warranty backup and speedy customer service I'd go with the Giant, although I feel their current paint schemes are boring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TonyM

by TonyM

Giant are good - but boring paint.
They should have a good team Sunweb paint and then offer it as a team replica paint

sharkman

by sharkman

All depends on where the buyer lives. The Us Giant colors are often a bit different. Overall both brands make good bikes but Canyon definitely is a few steps behind in finishing quality

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TonyM wrote:Giant are good - but boring paint.
They should have a good team Sunweb paint and then offer it as a team replica paint

They do.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tcr-a ... -team-2018

They also offer the Maglio Rosa bike/frameset because Dumoulin won the Giro, and they may offer a green/polka dot TCR because of Sunweb's results at the TdF...

TonyM

by TonyM

TobinHatesYou wrote:
TonyM wrote:Giant are good - but boring paint.

They do.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tcr-a ... -team-2018

They also offer the Maglio Rosa bike/frameset because Dumoulin won the Giro, and they may offer a green/polka dot TCR because of Sunweb's results at the TdF...

I mean they should offer a good team sunweb paint. The current one is kind of average to me[emoji42][emoji42]

A green/ polka dot TCR would however be something special [emoji122][emoji106]

Boshk

by Boshk

TobinHatesYou wrote:Both are very stiff and slightly unforgiving in terms of ride quality. I think Canyon paint looks nicer than Giant. I think the Giant frameset and build is lighter though.

I know its all 'relative' but how unforgiving and stiff are these bikes? Are the Pinarello GANs/F8 even worst? 'worst' is probably the wrong word for it, stiffer?? Usually it means better transfer of power, stable...right?, but geometry wise...aggressive on wrist and back?

My current bike is a Diverge DSW, technically a cyclocross non carbon bike...running 28mm conti 4 season at 90psi.

oraclesin

by oraclesin

giant!!!! i love it !! or.. tarmac...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com