Trek Madone vs. Trek Emonda decision

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

53x12

by 53x12

^ That looks great.

Is it really a glossy clearcoat or is it a glossy black paint?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ahillock

by Ahillock

hlvd wrote:https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/performance-road/madone/madone-9-0/p/1474000-2018/

Seems a lot of bike for the money, different wheels and it's quite a bike.

Thanks, that is a great price. I was planning on going with Di2, but maybe I'd just use mechanical or take the mechanical off and put it on another bike and then install Di2 on it.

kgt wrote:+1
Emonda is obviously the "pure race machine". The 19 watts advantage calculations are only good for Trek's marketing department, not the racing team.

Figured it wouldn't be long for you to show up and clutter the thread with your agenda.

FIJIGabe wrote:Before the conversation gets derailed, I'll just chime in: unless you're doing really hilly climbs, I'd go for the Madone. That being said, here are the knocks:

The brakes are a bear to set up. I built my bike up, myself, and this took longer than routing the cables through the frame (thank God for the liners!)
It is heavy. Like, really heavy. Like, heavier than my previous Madone 5 (all the parts that could be transferred, were transferred over from that frame - so it is an apples-to-apples comparison).

Here are the positives:

It is incredibly comfortable. Much more so than my Madone 5. I haven't tried a full century on it, but metrics are a walk in the park.
It turns heads, and you'll get a lot of questions - if you're into that.
Once you know what you're doing, the maintenance work isn't all that hard. There is a steep learning curve, however (it took me 12 hours to set it up, initially, but changing cables, recently, took me no longer than my Madone 5 (faster, actually).

Thank you FIJIGabe! That was the kind of response I was hoping for. Very informative. Seems like you have a bit of experience with the current Madone. Do you also have time with the Emonda SLR?

wheelsONfire wrote:Ok OP, what are you landing? Madone or Emonda?

I would like to ask what you think speaks for either M or E?

I also wonder, when the bike is a few years old, what will you feel about working on a bike that is more complex and demanding (M), compared to the easier (E) bike?

I have noticed that what annoys me in due time, is those small things that proves more hassle than needed.

Still undecided at this moment. Still really like both of them. I plan to run Di2 on whatever one I get, so working on it will be minimal.

ergott wrote:Image

lol, that is perfect! 10/10

https://youtu.be/0DUPfQCvHXw

spdntrxi wrote:I prefer the look of the madone and the weight of the emonda... why can't I have both ?

Exactly. But the integration + tube shapes of the Madone are heavier to incorporate. Maybe one day?

Svetty wrote:I don't get this choice? If I want a road aero frame I'd choose between various models from different manufacturers, and similarly if I wanted a light-weight climbing frame. The intended use should determine the options, not a common manufacturer (unless I only had one manufacturer's frames to choose from of course).

I like what Trek has been doing. The Madone is one of the best, if not the best all around aero-road frames on the market right now. Especially if one is ok with the integration aspect. It has the top notch aero, the stiffness and the comfort. So it makes it a solid choice.

The Emonda is a great lightweight bike and when looking at the major manufacturers it is the lightest option at the moment. For the $3,000 price tag for the frame, it is very affordable compared to what something like this would have cost just a few years ago.

The intended use is a multipurpose all around use frame. Both can do that. I just want to know whether the Emonda excels in areas other than weight over the Madone. From what I have read, it sounds like stiffness and comfort are comparable and that the Madone might even be slightly more comfortable.

JBeauBikes2 wrote:I'm interested in this topic because Trek's new Emonda really appeals to me. I live in a "hilly" part of Indiana and don't see mile long climbs like many people on the forums do, but I feel like the Emonda would be a great crit bike if it's stiff, lightweight, and corners well.

I've never ridden either, which will change soon. Does anybody race the Emonda in crits or road races? I generally make it into some breaks which means I could get value out of the Madone, but how marginal would the benefit be if I'm already running Enve 4.5s? As light as the SLR is, I'm sure it accelerates well so long as the lightness doesn't bring along flex in the BB.

I personally would never race the Emonda SLR if I get one. I would get the Emonda ALR for that. If I was sponsored by a team or shop and get the SLR for free or pennies on the dolloar I would race the SLR, but since I buy all my own gear, the ALR is a much better option for what-ifs and could happens.

dantalparadiso

by dantalparadiso

Hello,

I bought an Emonda SL6 2018.

I am disappointed. The bike does feel steef and nice, corners excellently.

But the down tube is too too large. I feel it slows you down a lot.

What do you think ? have you already raced in crits with the Emonda ?

Best,

dim

by dim

watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeYEd-_dwsc

buy a 2014 Giant TCR frame, and kit it out with Dura Ace 9000, good wheels and you will save thousands and you will be quicker 8)
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand