Rs785 calipers with 9170 levers?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PaulH

by PaulH

Apologies if this has been asked before but I want to upgrade my r785 generic shifters to dura ace 9170. I have found a shimano chart that says they are compatible. However the r785 uses the br59 low pressure hose and the 9170 lever uses the new br 90 hose. I have bought the levers separately (without hoses and olives) there is a delay on the dura ace hoses , which standard of hoses should I use and does anyone know which olives and hose connectors are compatible with the new lever?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rapsac

by rapsac

Can not really help, but the insert (and perhaps olive as well) is different for each hose type. Perhaps you can use the proper insert + olive at each end? Not sure though..

ms6073

by ms6073

Not really an answer, but I have used both the BH59 and BH90 hydraulic hoses with the BR-R785 calipers and found that with the ST-R785 shifters, lever feel is stiffer with BH90 hydraulic hose but there is more modulation with BH59. So mechanically speaking, as long as you are using BH90 hydraulic hose set and hardware, there should not be any issues. That said, tomorrow I will be building up my wife's 2017 Scott Contessa Solace frameset using ST-R9170 shifters with the supplied BH90 hydraulic hose sets and BR-R785 calipers, so will have a definitive answer.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

PaulH

by PaulH

Thanks did you get the specific dura ace 9170 for the Scott as they are on back order , or is there an equivalent mtb one I can use ?

PaulH

by PaulH

I mean hose set sorry?

tomee

by tomee

when i was building up my bike, i had a spare insert that was for a mtb, i forgot what specific model number but it wouldn't fit in the BH59 hose as the bore diameter of the hose was smaller.
so make sure you use the correct insert and olives.

ms6073

by ms6073

PaulH wrote:Thanks did you get the specific dura ace 9170 for the Scott as they are on back order , or is there an equivalent mtb one I can use ?

Althopugh the 9170 shifter set included the BH90 hoses, here in the US I have been able to purchase SM-BH90-SS road hydraulic hose sets from Amazon, but a quick search and I see that only the single hose kit is currently available from Amazon.
Last edited by ms6073 on Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

lovemyway

by lovemyway

I needed to get the SM-BH90-JK-SSR hoses separately as well, I was told I need these specific ones (there are other SM-BH90-xxx hoses that are not working supposedly).

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Isn't it only the caliper end of BH-90 that is different? You need straight on connection and the mtb caliper hoses uses the 90 degree banjo type?
Or what else would be different?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

PaulH

by PaulH

It's the olive and retaining but which are different which go in to the lever

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I wonder if SM-BH90-SBM works with 785 shifters? The banjo will work with the XTR calipers.
Question is how it works in the shifter end?
But then again, if pistons are same size as 785R/RS, what is the benefit of the XTR calipers part from weight?
Some say XTR is less durable than XT, which 785 calipers are based on if i got that correct?

I read all Hope calipers have a different feel than all Shimano calipers. Never had any other disc brakes worth mentioning really, part from 785RS.

I wonder if the brake hose itself (from BH59 to BH90), might do a larger difference in this case, than changing calipers?

Hope could perhaps have designed a larger pistons, 2 piston caliper instead of a 4 piston version.
I wonder if that hadn't also had made a stronger braking force.

This is not easy... Buying into a placebo isn't that appealing :roll:

http://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com/2.4
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Erwin

by Erwin

Any news with this combination? R8070 (or R9170), RS785 caliper and BH59 is possible? Or should I buy BH90 hydraulic hoses like ms6073 already mentioned? I will get some parts this week, but perhaps someone can lighten me up. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Ok I think BH90-JK-SSR is mandatory for mounting: http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-ST-R9170-4079.pdf Can I combine #3 and #4 with BH59 (same outer diameter)?

ms6073

by ms6073

Not sure I understand the confusion, so lets try to simplify this. While the BH90 hose is designed to deliver better lever feel with road hydraulic, which hydraulic hose you use is not really the issue, some might even recommend Jagwire as a better option. Simply stated, unless you already have a pair of Shimano M9 Flange Connecting Bolts (Y8RD01000) which are specific to the ST-R9120/ST-R9170/ST-R8020/ST-R8070 hydraulic shifters, then you are not likely to be able to source the flange bolts individually. Shimano views flange connecting bolts, olives, and inserts as consumable items that are to be replaced each and every time you replace the hydraulic hoses, so the only readily available source is a set of SM-BH90-JK-SSR hose kits.
- Michael

Hamfist

by Hamfist

ms6073 wrote:Not sure I understand the confusion, so lets try to simplify this. While the BH90 hose is designed to deliver better lever feel with road hydraulic, which hydraulic hose you use is not really the issue, some might even recommend Jagwire as a better option. Simply stated, unless you already have a pair of Shimano M9 Flange Connecting Bolts (Y8RD01000) which are specific to the ST-R9120/ST-R9170/ST-R8020/ST-R8070 hydraulic shifters, then you are not likely to be able to source the flange bolts individually. Shimano views flange connecting bolts, olives, and inserts as consumable items that are to be replaced each and every time you replace the hydraulic hoses, so the only readily available source is a set of SM-BH90-JK-SSR hose kits.

This is very helpful, thank you. I realized this independently after having ordered hoses online that the new 9170 lever requires a different bolt than older levers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

ms6073 wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:12 pm
Not really an answer, but I have used both the BH59 and BH90 hydraulic hoses with the BR-R785 calipers and found that with the ST-R785 shifters, lever feel is stiffer with BH90 hydraulic hose but there is more modulation with BH59. So mechanically speaking, as long as you are using BH90 hydraulic hose set and hardware, there should not be any issues. That said, tomorrow I will be building up my wife's 2017 Scott Contessa Solace frameset using ST-R9170 shifters with the supplied BH90 hydraulic hose sets and BR-R785 calipers, so will have a definitive answer.
Following up on this, I am in a similar situation as the OP. My wife has two bikes with SR-R785 shifters and brakes (one mechanical shifting, the other Di2), and would like to upgrade the shifters to ST-R9120 (and ST-9170). Her bikes have post mounts for the calipers, so needs to stick with the BR-R785 calipers. Will the R785 calipers work properly with the R91x0 shifters? Do the R91x0 shifters include the proper hoses or do they need to be ordered separately? Thanks.