Best tires for wet, rough roads

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I'm planning to buy tires for my winter commuter / training bike. Here in northern california we had a super wet winter last year. The roads have potholes, debris from road constructions, metal plates etc.

After some reading it seems like low pressure and supple tires the way to go. I found conflicting information on tire grip in wet for almost every single brand I looked at. Looking at the pros it seems like they often use the same compound tires for roubaix/strade bianche what they normally use in dry/good conditions (but wider ones).
I'm planning to go with at least 25mm+ tires and I'm not too heavy at 132lbs (60kg). Is it a bad idea to go 28mm for me?

Any first hand experiences? Favorite brands?

RyanH

by RyanH

I think the gold standard for grip in the wet has been Continental (sprinters). I had Vittoria Paves in 28mm which lost traction on turns that I know the Contis would have been fine on. Veloflex has been better IMO too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Thanks! So I guess in clinchers that's conti gp4000s / 4 season ones. I'd avoid veloflex clinchers because of the documented fitting issues.

Anybody has any experience with challenge roubaix / strada bianca tires?

TonyM

by TonyM

I use Vittoria Pavé in 25mm and I am quite happy with them. Puncture resistance and grip/ cornering is good. In the winter I am usually around 155-157 lbs (70-71 kg),

This winter I will try the Conti 4 season 25mm (as Vittoria seems not to sell anymore the Paveés).
https://www.continental-tires.com/bicyc ... x-4-season

I may also try the Vittoria Rubino:
https://www.vittoria.com/tires/road-tir ... =all-round

And I age my tires 2-3 years before I use them ("old school").

Hexsense

by Hexsense

And there is a case of Vittoria Corsa G+ which i find their grip is a little bit too good in wet.

Too good in a sense that when wet, it literally pick up every sand, dust, glass it touch along the way. I sometime end up having to remove glass or big piece of sand from the tire along the vertical groove after the ride or big shop stop before it do any damage to the tire. My other wheel on the same bike with Continental 4000sII is noticably cleaner. But that's not too bad as i normally ride in dry and this only happen in wet so i'll still keep using the Corsa G+ as the comfort and cornering grip is just so good.

bilwit

by bilwit

Hexsense wrote:And there is a case of Vittoria Corsa G+ which i find their grip is a little bit too good in wet.

Too good in a sense that it literally pick up every sand, dust, glass it touch along the way. I sometime end up having to remove glass or big piece of sand from the tire along the vertical groove after the ride or big shop stop before it do any damage to the tire. My other wheel on the same bike with Continental 4000sII is noticably cleaner. But that's not too bad as i normally ride in dry and this only happen in wet so i'll still keep using the Corsa G+ as the comfort and cornering grip is just so good.

This was my experience as well, not to mention the first time you ride skinwall in the rain they will forever be dirty. Lots of gashes from embedded mini rocks and stuff. Replaced them with good old Conti 4000SII and got another set of Corsa G+ for the fair weather hoops.

silvalis

by silvalis

Comparing grip, I felt Conti GP4000II (25) were pretty rubbish in the wet compared to Open Pave CGs (25). Skidded far more times with the contis than the open paves.
Schwalbe Ones were somewhere in the middle, but picked up more cuts and holes than the others.
Chasse patate

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

I use Michelin Pro4 Endurance/Service Course 25c on the winter bike and have found them to be quite good. I purchased a bunch in bulk as I found them online for $28 AUD. I would use 28c if my frame allowed (they do run wider than advertised though). Never had any problems in the wet on bike paths here in Australia with wooden bridges, etc. I've also used Schwalbe Durano on the same bike and rate them highly.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

nickf

by nickf

Don't have nasty winters here in Florida but lots of rain. Bontrager AW3 tires are durable and fairly inexpensive. Also the panaracer gravel king 25s or 28s are pretty damn bomb proof and surprisingly smooth.

benzebub

by benzebub

mogwaiboi wrote:I use Michelin Pro4 Endurance/Service Course 25c on the winter bike and have found them to be quite good. I purchased a bunch in bulk as I found them online for $28 AUD. I would use 28c if my frame allowed (they do run wider than advertised though). Never had any problems in the wet on bike paths here in Australia with wooden bridges, etc. I've also used Schwalbe Durano on the same bike and rate them highly.

I too have had good experiences with the pro4 endurance in wet rides, def would recommend
But I could be wrong

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

Currently using Schwalbe One. It's winter wet & there's been a lot of rain this year. I am loosing confidence in them as they slip and slide when going over railway crossings, & cattle grids - rail crossings are on daily commute, Cattle grids on weekend rides. They've also had more punctures.

GP4000II were adequate with no slips & fewer punctures than Schwalbes

Michelin Pro 4 SC are good in my opinion - fair price, decent puncture resistance, I found them safe & predictable in the wet
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

kidrob

by kidrob

Very happy with my Conti 4 Season 25mm all winter

Tomstr

by Tomstr

I'd like to second the Michelin Pro4. For commuting I'd go with the endurance as it doesn't pick up much debris from the road in wet conditions. If 28mm fits definately go with them, you can add a latex inner for more grip and comfort if needed.
Ride it like you stole it

Miller

by Miller

Wider tyre for wet and rough commuting is an ideal use case for tubeless.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MattC

by MattC

I've just started running 32mm tubeless, they seem to be so much smoother than the 25mm Conti Gatorskin tubs I was previously running. <60psi on the 32mm, closer to 50psi in the wet, the tubs I was on ~80psi.

Bontrager AW2 here, not a huge loss in speed from the previous setup, although my stock tubeless wheels weigh a tonne!