Best tires for wet, rough roads

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

RyanH wrote:I think the gold standard for grip in the wet has been Continental (sprinters). I had Vittoria Paves in 28mm which lost traction on turns that I know the Contis would have been fine on. Veloflex has been better IMO too.

I agree, love my Arenbergs. Of course, adjust tubular pressure on wet days (think we should tell that to Sky 2015 :lol: ).
Conti Srinters ( I use the "standard"/slick ones ) are surprisingly grippy on wet surfaces.

Louis :)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well, if tubulars are in the mix, then Continental Comps are my wet weather favorite, but I take along a Veloflex tubular as a spare just in case, since I don't think I could get a spare conti mounted on the road in the wet and cold.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

Hexsense wrote:And there is a case of Vittoria Corsa G+ which i find their grip is a little bit too good in wet.

Too good in a sense that when wet, it literally pick up every sand, dust, glass it touch along the way. I sometime end up having to remove glass or big piece of sand from the tire along the vertical groove after the ride or big shop stop before it do any damage to the tire. My other wheel on the same bike with Continental 4000sII is noticably cleaner. But that's not too bad as i normally ride in dry and this only happen in wet so i'll still keep using the Corsa G+ as the comfort and cornering grip is just so good.

Good to know!
I really disliked all my Vittoria Open Corsa (not G+) in the wet. They really did not have much grip [emoji37]

jwalther

by jwalther

mogwaiboi wrote:I use Michelin Pro4 Endurance/Service Course 25c on the winter bike and have found them to be quite good. I purchased a bunch in bulk as I found them online for $28 AUD. I would use 28c if my frame allowed (they do run wider than advertised though). Never had any problems in the wet on bike paths here in Australia with wooden bridges, etc. I've also used Schwalbe Durano on the same bike and rate them highly.

Third on the Michelins.
2023 Capitol Bicycles Custom Ti
2019 Felt Breed 30
2013 Co-Motion Supremo when the wife wants to ride

nemeseri

by nemeseri

TonyM wrote:
Hexsense wrote:And there is a case of Vittoria Corsa G+ which i find their grip is a little bit too good in wet.

Too good in a sense that when wet, it literally pick up every sand, dust, glass it touch along the way. I sometime end up having to remove glass or big piece of sand from the tire along the vertical groove after the ride or big shop stop before it do any damage to the tire. My other wheel on the same bike with Continental 4000sII is noticably cleaner. But that's not too bad as i normally ride in dry and this only happen in wet so i'll still keep using the Corsa G+ as the comfort and cornering grip is just so good.

Good to know!
I really disliked all my Vittoria Open Corsa (not G+) in the wet. They really did not have much grip [emoji37]

Yeah I was also surprised because I had a few hairy moments in wet with the the vittoria g+ tubs. But maybe it was just bad luck.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

nemeseri wrote:
TonyM wrote:

Good to know!

Yeah I was also surprised because I had a few hairy moments in wet with the the vittoria g+ tubs. But maybe it was just bad luck.

Is the road clean?
It maybe dust and sands on the tire at bad angle. Which is... again the problem of this tire.
Why is it so attractive to all road debris?

Tomstr

by Tomstr

A very soft compound most likely. You should be able to check it with a durometer if useful.
Ride it like you stole it

Alumen

by Alumen

Go for the Schwalbe Durano's. Very good grip, like if you are riding on rails...

The rubber doesn't pick up any small stones or sharp pieces and the wearing is very low.

In terms of rolling resistance, they are not too bad, maybe slighty more than the GP4000s II. It is a very comfortable tyre too.

I am using the 25mm and they are really perfect as winter, bad weather / rough roads training tyres.

All in all, this tyre will give you a lot of confidence.
CAAD 13 Disc
CAAD 10 2015 R.I.P.
Kona Kahuna

28, the real 25

superdx

by superdx

+1 for Pro4s, Service Course or Endurance. Never any issues with traction on any terrain.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

kidrob wrote:Very happy with my Conti 4 Season 25mm all winter

Another vote but with bolt statement of harsh ride. These run true to size (e.g. 25mm on wide rim), great wet grip and puncture resistance. Overall, it's a great training tire for foul-weather only. You gotta be crazy to run these when sun is out. Unfortunately, 28mm are not any wider. In other word, they also measure 25mm wide.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

CallumRD1

by CallumRD1

My 28c Conti 4 seasons measure up at between 28mm and 28.3mm on a 19mm internal width rim. I fully recommend them. After a full winter of commuting with them the only puncture I got was a pinch puncture when I jumped a curb with an under inflated rear.

silvalis

by silvalis

Anyone got any feedback on vredestein fortezza all weather?
Chasse patate

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Thank you all for the recommendations. After reviewing the rolling resistance data and the favorable reviews by fellow members, I think michelin nailed it with the pro4 series. I will definitely give them a try.

I'm kind of surprised nobody used / mentioned challenege tires...

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

nemeseri wrote:Thank you all for the recommendations. After reviewing the rolling resistance data and the favorable reviews by fellow members, I think michelin nailed it with the pro4 series. I will definitely give them a try.

I'm kind of surprised nobody used / mentioned challenege tires...

Rolling resistance from which source? www.bicyclerollingresistance.com is using the drum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Yeah, Drum test put force on the drum and measure loss of energy from the drum. This is quite accurate for front wheel.
But for rear wheel, in real world force are from the wheel to the tire to the ground. When the drum are rough (to make it more similar to real road) there are some difference. Harsh tire on rough road/drum make the wheel jump and skip. During that short time, resistance measured on the drum gone down (maybe to zero). While suppler tire conform the rough road better and skip less so it has shorter time where the resistance disappear, this will read as more resistance. In real world, Jumping up and down or skip means momentary loss of power transfer and that means less energy transferred to the road which put penalty to the rider.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com