Retul Grip Angle...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MikeD

by MikeD

3Pio wrote:
MikeD wrote:In my opinion, grip angle and handlebar shape from the top of the bars to the levers has a huge effect on comfort. Experiment with the angle of the bars and levers. I had to go to a different bar because I found I like this bar section to be level with the ground. Also, your hands should rest behind that bump, not on it. Maybe the lever shape isn't good for your hands.

This is what im doing this days.. Riding a bike tapeless and trying to find perfect spot. And u say that hands should be rest "behind" that bump.. U mean in front of bump?

And can u please suggest me handlebar worh to test ?

I've tried some different bars, but prefer Easton EA 50s or 70s the best.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

With Pro Vibe bars, one side has a perfect transition while the other has a small bump. This highlights how your tape job can affect the bump:

ImageImage

3Pio

by 3Pio

Thank u guys.. I found my angle, and also have finally perfect flat transition without bump.

Found out that my grip angle was too high (thanks to Specialized Rettul help, they saw this thread and send me an email.. Very professional from them). And in that e-mail communication they help to determine the points for measuring. After i fount them, i start my experimenting there (very slightly difference). Also i put the levers a bit more wide then they were before.So all this help me a lot.

Also thanks for the advice about putting the tape. Installed small peace of tape on transition part and got perfect flat transition.Also helped a lot that i put lower the levers then it was before (and i put another 2mm spacer under the stem)

hannawald

by hannawald

Taking old thread back, does anybody know where on the grip i should measure Grip reach and grip drop according to Retul?

Grip Reach
The horizontal distance from the front tip of the saddle to the frontmost point of the grip.
So it is the place where brake lever ends? Because that is the horizontally furthest point..
And should i really measure horizontal distance so along the top tube and not diagonally towards the lever (so it is bar width independent)..

Grip Drop
The vertical distance from the center point of the saddle profile to the frontmost point of the grip. A negative value signifies the grip being lower than the saddle.

Again, should i measure it at the end of brake lever so obviously below the highest point of the lever?

Thank you!