Retul Grip Angle...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

3Pio

by 3Pio

Hi there..

Im realizing that i need slightly adjustment of angle of my hoods (when im comfortable in hoods i dont have my maximum on my drops and vice versa....) It's just a tinny adjustment (but when i push hard or ride long distances (yesterday 182 km), i can feel that i need a litle adjustment.

I was doing Rettul Fitting year ago, and since then i changed handlebar. So first checking values i have from my fitting. For Grip Angle i have value of 36 deg.
as optimal.

But how i measure this angle? (In rettul data i have it say: Angle to Horizont, denotes front end). Since im using Campagnolo record 2015, to which part of the hoods im measuring this angle ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

That seems like a very drastic angle, but also might dependent on how tall the hoods are. My grip angle as measured by the Retul Zin wand is 9 degrees with tiny eTap hoods. My guess is it's measured from where the rubber meets the ramps to the top of the hoods.

3Pio

by 3Pio

TobinHatesYou wrote:That seems like a very drastic angle, but also might dependent on how tall the hoods are. My grip angle as measured by the Retul Zin wand is 9 degrees with tiny eTap hoods. My guess is it's measured from where the rubber meets the ramps to the top of the hoods.

Yes but that part is not a straight line, so it can be interpeted very different. Also i tried to measure downline of hoods (straight line, and it follow the line of the hoods.. But still not sure).

Maybe the best will be if i post pictures and line where we thin to be measured?

BTW, i just checked different Retul fitting settings.. Average Grip angle is about 30-35 deg. Never seen less then 25 deg.

silvalis

by silvalis

My fits were 31 (athena 11s) and 33 deg (ultegra 6800). The body of the athenas were pretty much flat.

Maybe measured from the top of the hoods to the centre of the top of the bars/flats?
Chasse patate

3Pio

by 3Pio

silvalis wrote:My fits were 31 (athena 11s) and 33 deg (ultegra 6800). The body of the athenas were pretty much flat.

Maybe measured from the top of the hoods to the centre of the top of the bars/flats?

Can u please send a picture from the side?

silvalis

by silvalis

Sold it :(
But here's a snip of my retul report with some lines I drew on it.
Attachments
retul.jpg
Chasse patate

3Pio

by 3Pio

silvalis wrote:Sold it :(
But here's a snip of my retul report with some lines I drew on it.

Thanks a lot for ur reply..

I need help for two other parameters:

1. Grip Reach - Tip of Saddle horiz to front end of grip..

What is mean by front end of grip? The part before the high curve? Or the aboslute end of the hood just above the brake lever axle?

2. Grip Drop - Cen of saddle to front end of grip - denotes grip lower

Same question? What part of hood is considered as end of grip? The absolute end of the hood just above the brake lever axle or the part before the high curve?

Thanks

silvalis

by silvalis

Hmm
Well I dont know how reliable the little picture is, but I assume it's to the highest point on the hood.
If it isn't ZINed to the highest point on the hood, then the measurements would be highly specific to the user/whoever ZINed the bike.
Attachments
retul2.PNG
Chasse patate

3Pio

by 3Pio

silvalis wrote:Hmm
Well I dont know how reliable the little picture is, but I assume it's to the highest point on the hood.
If it isn't ZINed to the highest point on the hood, then the measurements would be highly specific to the user/whoever ZINed the bike.

Yes, but still dont understund what is consedered as highest point on the hood. Is it grip part that u actually hold? Or absolute highest part?

So is it Black Arrow on picture im sending, or Red Arrow?

And another pic with bump that was hurting my hands, and wanted to readjust everthing mostly because of this:

silvalis

by silvalis

Ah, would be the top of the hood bump on the right arrow.
If I use the BB-centre of bar reach from the ZIN, then measure the centre of bar to centre of hoods horizontally (where the centre is the highest point on the hood tip) I get the ZIN measurement of "grip reach" (within a few mm measuring error)
Chasse patate

silvalis

by silvalis

that bump that hurts your hands - make sure you've wrapped your tape correctly too. There's a little notch at that bump that you're supposed to jam an edge of the tape into (or so I was told). Evens out the bump a tiny bit.
Chasse patate

3Pio

by 3Pio

I must say that im very positive suprised from Specialized who obviosly is very serious in Retul fitting.

They read this thread and without even sending them an e-mail they email me with help how to properly measure all my Retul report values.

There is new and old software, and different ways of measuring the reach/drop of Grip based if fitter used new or old software.

I'll share all info i got on email, as soon as they confirm me the points i marked on the pictures i just send them.

Garrett and Todd from Specialized, thanks a lot again. This is what i say professional service.

Seem that i'll finally dial my fit properly, and hope this information they send me (as i said ill send it as soon as they confirm me my last e-mail), will help to other members here...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Grip angle pretty much depends entirely on the height of the hoods, so it's a bit of a "useless" Retul measurement. Now that I have HRD hoods, my grip angle will be higher when I get my updated fit on Monday.

MikeD

by MikeD

In my opinion, grip angle and handlebar shape from the top of the bars to the levers has a huge effect on comfort. Experiment with the angle of the bars and levers. I had to go to a different bar because I found I like this bar section to be level with the ground. Also, your hands should rest behind that bump, not on it. Maybe the lever shape isn't good for your hands.

3Pio

by 3Pio

MikeD wrote:In my opinion, grip angle and handlebar shape from the top of the bars to the levers has a huge effect on comfort. Experiment with the angle of the bars and levers. I had to go to a different bar because I found I like this bar section to be level with the ground. Also, your hands should rest behind that bump, not on it. Maybe the lever shape isn't good for your hands.

This is what im doing this days.. Riding a bike tapeless and trying to find perfect spot. And u say that hands should be rest "behind" that bump.. U mean in front of bump?

And can u please suggest me handlebar worh to test ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com