Buying the right shoes... for my bony feet.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tommo

by Tommo

I'm relatively new to the road cycling game and after 18 months of riding I'm looking to purchase another set of shoes to replace the Mavic Galibiers I'm currently using. I've got on ok with them but have been noticing that there is quite a bit of movement in the toe box due to my bony (and narrow) feet. I did upgrade to a set on Bonty insoles after a Trek precision bikefit but these only helped the volume issue slightly. I'd like a better heel fit too, this has also been prone to movement when working on the negative phase of pedal stroke when using my hamstrings.

Can anyone one recommend shoes for narrow skinny feet? And would it be worth getting a custom insole molded? I will be trying various on but if I could narrow down the possibilities that would be a helpful start.

Cheers all :D

wingguy

by wingguy

Mavics are usually pretty good for narrow feet. Are you sure the shoes aren't just sized too big? Otherwise Sidi would be worth a look. Good adjustable heel cup too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uraqt

by uraqt

I know everyone is sick of me saying this, and I am not the biggest sidi fanboy here....however... get one of the top models sidis and they should be the last pair of shoes you buy. The sidi last is the best and I am 100% any foot can fit in it. : ) It may take a lot of time, trial and error and customization but in the end it's all worth it because just the best built shoe. period

C

IMO

Tommo

by Tommo

You could be right wingguy I just bought a 46 because that's what I generally am in a normal shoe. I think it's just down to the peculiar shape of my foot tbh. Sidis seem a good shout, do they do moulded insoles? It's more the actual volume that's the issue I think... my plates of meat are skin n bone.

Tommo

by Tommo

Which shops (based in the north U.K.) have the best selection of shoes to try on etc?

outnumbered

by outnumbered

I have narrow feet, and one 16 y/o and one 13 y/o pair of Sidis. All the parts that wear are available as spares, so I'm not sure when I'll ever wear them out !

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Tommo wrote:I'm relatively new to the road cycling game .... I'd like a better heel fit too, this has also been prone to movement when working on the negative phase of pedal stroke when using my hamstrings.
Cheers all :D

Outside of perhaps certain climbing situations and even then, thinking about "using your hamstrings" :? isn't going to help you. Hamstrings just don't work that way - they function more by reciprocal inhibition in cycling. There was some good research done that compared power application at the pedal between cleated and uncleated setups. No significant difference. Worried about how you are pedaling? Watch some video of Filippo Pozatto and just copy that for a few thousand km. That should do it.

Shoes? Sounds like you have a low volume foot. You want to be held in snug? For many feet nothing tops Specialized SWorks. They have a very aggressive fit - too much so for some. IIRC they also come in a narrow version. Major dollars though.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

tinozee

by tinozee

I have size 13 narrow feet and have done this miserable hunt years ago. I tried all brands. The best by far for narrow feet are the higher end Sidi models . The Ergo 3 (best) and Wire (second).

Tommo

by Tommo

Thanks all. Anyone using Giro techlace or DMT R(s)1's and can advise on fit?

sungod

by sungod

Tommo wrote:Which shops (based in the north U.K.) have the best selection of shoes to try on etc?

try merlin

https://www.merlincycles.com/road-bike-shoes-75360/

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

uraqt wrote:I know everyone is sick of me saying this, and I am not the biggest sidi fanboy here....however... get one of the top models sidis and they should be the last pair of shoes you buy. The sidi last is the best and I am 100% any foot can fit in it. : ) It may take a lot of time, trial and error and customization but in the end it's all worth it because just the best built shoe. period

C

IMO

+1

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Both the Giro Factor Techlace and Prolight Techlace are fairly average width while the Empire SLX is considerably narrower. Giro claims all three use the same last, but the difference is so significant that I have to size down to 44.5 in either Techlace models just to get a good feel around the ankle/heel. In Empire SLX I wear 45s and they fit perfectly lengthwise and width.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

Northwave are pretty narrow.

Specialized had a narrow option. I think they've made their shoes narrower in recent years.

If you have ridiculously narrow feet, you could go custom or semi-custom. I bought Riivo's a few years ago and now have two pair and am considering a third. Yeah, they're expensive, but so is everything else bike related, and I like for my feet to not hurt. (I have rather wide feet.)

de lars cuevas

by de lars cuevas

Sidi is quite low volume. And they even have the Genius (and had the mountainbike Eagle) in extra narrow. I have them. You can only source them from the us though.

https://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&q=si ... oGknLcxWEg

DJT21

by DJT21

Sidi volume has increased slightly over the years, if you want really low volume then try and find a second hand pair of Ergo 2s.

TBH, the tightest shoes I've ever tried were Mavic Zxelliums (maybe 2014 or 2015 model). Had to send them back as they were too tight. Sidi fits me perfect though.

Try Bike Chain Cafe as they usually have good prices on Sidi shoes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com