eeBrake Direct Mount Brake - issues with +2017 versions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nettic

by nettic

Hey Guys

I'm new to the forum Hello!

I'm doing an etap build and have been researching dual mount breaks. I was quiet taken with the eeBrake Direct Mount Brake. But after speaking to a very good bike mechanic I have since learnt that since eecycleworks was sold to Cane Creek in Aug 2016. The quality of the eebreaks has dropped dramatically. I suppose this happens when the bean counters get involved and they start outsourcing parts that they use to make in house.

Just wanted to know if any else has had issues?

My guy has a new set that are being impossible to set up (unlike his previous experiences). Told to me try source the older original version if I can.

kode54

by kode54

havent heard of anything of the sort. i thought that the original owner Craig was still working with Cane Creek. i doubt if he's going to let things go like that.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nettic

by nettic

Stranger things have happened.

My guy was speaking from first hand experience with older and newer versions. Said they were so different to not bother with the new ones. I'm kind of gutted because I was keen on getting a set.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this?

DaReef

by DaReef

I bought a set within the past few months. No complaints from my mechanic and they are fantastic.

nettic

by nettic

@DaReef

Good to hear. What wheel set are you running?

beanbiken

by beanbiken

I've also fitted my 2017's in the last 3 weeks or so and am very close to buying a second set for my other build which is about to happen. Standard mout type though not the direct type. Can't see why one type would be "degraded" and not the other.

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

@Nettic your mechanic's complaint about it aren't valid and your doubts are unfounded unless he/you can be more specific about the complaint. This thread is kinda useless because nobody knows what your worries are. Many including myself use these brakes and don't have problems with them.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Get a new mechanic.

kode54

by kode54

Kayrehn wrote:@Nettic your mechanic's complaint about it aren't valid and your doubts are unfounded unless he/you can be more specific about the complaint. This thread is kinda useless because nobody knows what your worries are. Many including myself use these brakes and don't have problems with them.

yup. i'm using the 2017 direct mounts on my Parlee ESX with no problems...and with Enve 6.7 SES wheels.

maybe the mechanic isn't reading the instructions...as you need to use the right washer depending on wheel width. no washer if its really wide. thick washer for thinner wheels. this way, the pull would be similar.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

micky

by micky

Please ask your mechanic to be more specific with his quality problem.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I'm using single post mount brakes on my bike, one came from direct from Cane Creek, the other from another vendor and the box was not labeled with the Cane Creek stuff. The brakes themselves are indistinguishable from each other. They were a bit tricky to get set up initially, as compared to Shimano DA9000 brakes, but I'd guess they took 10 minutes to set up, as opposed to 5 for DA9000, so in the grand scheme of things, it wasn't really much a headache at all.

bbqpork

by bbqpork

I got the new CC version of the EE Direct Mount Front, but still using the DA900 DM rear as it didn't have enough clearance for the center pull at the seat stay. My friend that installed it took a while to figure it out, as he have never installed anything other then Shimano. Works fine with the HED JET+ wheels with the shoe spacer removed. There is a slight different in brake lever feel with the ee front and da rear but its fine.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Have to agree with others, the mechanic is wrong. There has been no change in design or materials since the merger. The brake they are producing currently is the same as the brake that was being produced previously. (the only difference is that they no longer offer the fairing to make a front aero version.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

topflightpro

by topflightpro

If anything, I would assume the move to Cane Creek would improve things. Cane Creek has been around a long time and has a solid reputation.