THM Fibula brakes-setup help required

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

retired

by retired

Hi, I am putting together a 2017 Ax vial evo and have been trying to fit the new 2017 THM Fibula brakes that have just arrived. I follow the instructions and have cut the outer brake cable casing to exactly the correct length. The problem is that the cable outer pushes on the brake housing causing the brake to rotate until the left pad is up against the rim. I have tried adjusting the spring tension but there is insufficient to make a difference.
I'm waiting for some Jagwire road elite link cable to see if that helps. In the meantime if anyone can help?

Thanks.

2old4this

by 2old4this

I've had the same issue with other breaks (ciamillo and ax) but not with thm. In both cases, the solution was to reduce the size of the housing in small increments...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beanbiken

by beanbiken

I was having similar issues with EE's on my F8. The brakes would not release fully.......... jagwire links and problem solved. Very pleased with them, much more flexible and easy to fine tune the housing length..........

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I think this happens when the housing is very stiff or going a sharp turn.

Like the previous poster said it's very important to get the length just right. I know many instructions say that there should be extra this and that for eventual stem/handlebar adjustments but with housing like this you kind of have no choice but to do an exact fit and bite the bullet if you wanna change your setup and redo the housing. Leave a long enough wire if you're worried, then no need to change both.

If the spring is too weak on one side make sure when you tighten the main caliper fixing bolt that the spring is set at an angle that can counter the housing force a bit.

PS. I've never worked with THM fibulas but I had the same problem with my "planet x cnc" brakes. I almost went crazy trying to get it right, now it's not a problem any more.

Good luck /a

retired

by retired

Thanks to all for the tips. i have tried the cable housing at different lengths and I've got it just right. I've only worked on DA dual pivot before so this setup is new to me. I have only tightened the fixing bolt to 5nm (as still setting them up) and not the final spec of 10nm. I'll try 10 nm and see if that helps.
Still waiting for the stem and just ordering the jagwire kit. I'll let you know how I get on

retired

by retired

UPDATE. What a PITA these brakes are! i've just spent 6 hours trying to get the front brake sorted without success. I have now decided to add an extra 200 grams to the build and get some DA 9100 brakes.
If you want some cheap THM brakes PM me.

Tim

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Wow, glad I went with the EE's........... Took me a couple of hours to get them sorted [inexperience and small sized frame] but all good now. Sorry to hear of your saga..........

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

alcatraz

by alcatraz

retired wrote:UPDATE. What a PITA these brakes are! i've just spent 6 hours trying to get the front brake sorted without success. I have now decided to add an extra 200 grams to the build and get some DA 9100 brakes.
If you want some cheap THM brakes PM me.

Tim

Werent you able to offset the spring to counter the housing pressure, before tightening the caliper to the frame?

This was very important to get right for me. I thought I did it when I actually didnt because the spring angle sometimes doesnt move with the lock nut where you hold the calipers using a cone wrench. Get the offset of the _spring_ right and it should work allright.

/a

retired

by retired

I have since found out that there is a recall on some of these brakes due to a bonding issue with the front bolt. I tested them and found that I have a defective front brake. I have emailed the retailer i bought them from.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

retired

by retired

Final update: I contacted the retailer (Starbike) and they have offered me a refund or shop credit. I excepted the refund and this matter is now in their hands. Thank you Starbike.