Felt Z5 clicking...tearing hair out of my head

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PMCRyan

by PMCRyan

hey friends,

running into a bit of a problem with clicking/popcorn sound coming from what seems to be my crank area. i've replaced bearings in my rear hub already once and the sound only comes when pedaling, not when I'm idling (or maybe I can't hear over the hubs on my carbon clinchers??)

just a heads up on what i'm running:
felt z5 with standard tiagra groupset..but added a 105 crankset and new shimano r540 pedals to try and notch out those as possible problems.

running 55c FSE wheels..bearings went after around 700 miles in the rear wheel, replaced those. attached link below for sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3YUSd6 ... e=youtu.be

SOS!!

apologies if this isn't the right area, thanks in advance for any help.

thanks,
ryan

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MAsshole

by MAsshole

Could it be chain related?

Have you run the cranks while the bike is on a stand?

PMCRyan

by PMCRyan

Just threw it up on the stand; sound isn't as prevalent as it is when I'm on it riding. Haven't noticed any differences in terms of when I hear it and which gears I'm in.

AJS914

by AJS914

Check, clean, lube, tighten quick releases.

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

Also check the valve stems, just by hand see if they wiggle in the rims. If so a piece of electrical tape will silence em

PMCRyan

by PMCRyan

AJS914 wrote:Check, clean, lube, tighten quick releases.

did this, went through the whole gambit

PMCRyan

by PMCRyan

mvacolnago wrote:Also check the valve stems, just by hand see if they wiggle in the rims. If so a piece of electrical tape will silence em

thought this could be part of the reason, but ruled this out. definitely one of those ones people forget about tho.

wondering if it's the BB30 bracket..hoping something like that isn't terribly expensive to fix if it is, altho I'm not handy enough to do it on my own so my LBS would be getting the work.

imunwired

by imunwired

Have you checked the pedals and the headset?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PMCRyan

by PMCRyan

imunwired wrote:Have you checked the pedals and the headset?

pedals should be ok, just replaced those within the last day. headset i have not; sound is coming from rear of bike, still worth checking? anything i should be looking for in particular?

AJS914

by AJS914

Do you have the noise both seated and standing?

PMCRyan

by PMCRyan

AJS914 wrote:Do you have the noise both seated and standing?

tried getting off the saddle and cranking hard up a hill today to test it, didn't notice it any more prevalent than i did while seated on my saddle and pedaling. it definitely comes with pedaling though..idling doesn't seem to yield a sound

imunwired

by imunwired

PMCRyan wrote:
imunwired wrote:Have you checked the pedals and the headset?

pedals should be ok, just replaced those within the last day. headset i have not; sound is coming from rear of bike, still worth checking? anything i should be looking for in particular?

I had a creak once. Thought it was my BB. Turned out it was the headset creaking when I pedaled under hard load. I slightly tug on the handlebars during those conditions. Carbon frames transmit sound pretty efficiently so in my case it took a while to pinpoint the sound issue. I just tightened the headset back down. Problem solved.

Also, not sure if I read whether you already looked at this or not and at the risk of pinpointing the obvious, have you pulled off your BB and reseated it?

Have you ridden in the rain recently?Sometimes after cycling in the rain, I have found that water can slosh around leaving residue in the BB and cause minor creaking.

PinaF8

by PinaF8

I once experienceD this creaking and it drove me nuts trying to find the source. my investigation led me to the front wheel preload bearing cap. Good luck!
S-WORKS VENGE 1ST GEN
PINARELLO F8
PINARELLO F10
2018 BMC SLR01
2019 SCOTT SPARK RC 900

taylorpetie

by taylorpetie

^^ and sometimes make sure the rear cassette lock ring is tight (torque to setting) and if u want to apply some light grease between the rear hub and rear cassette. It can be anything but I recently swapped wheels (and replaced the rear cassette) and started to have similar creaking until I did the two mentioned.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2lo8

by 2lo8

What about the good old shoe hitting front derailer cable end, which never shows up on the stand for obvious reasons.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.