Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:16 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:26 pm 

I have a BMC SLR01, S-Works Roubaix, Specialized Crux pro and a Dogma F8. I find that i am riding the F8 most all of the time now. The SLR01 would be my next choice. The Roubaix now gets no use because it doesn't do anything as well as the F8 or the SLR01. The Crux is reserved for gravel riding, but i would replace that if i could find something that performed equally on gravel and tarmac.

As of now i am willing to part with any or all of the bikes, with the exception of maybe the dogma. The only bike that really intrigues me right now is the Madone 9.0 because i wouldn't be tied to the integrated bar/stem. The Madone would be redundant to the Dogma, however, and i cant imagine it would do anything better than the Dogma.

Those of you that are not collectors for the sake of collecting, how do approach the mix of bikes in your stable assuming you're basically going to ride the sameroads, regardless of the bike you are on? :noidea:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:37 pm 

I basically follow the marketing :)

I have an aero bike, a lightweight climbing bike, a lower cost commuting bike.

I ride basically the same roads, paved no gravel/dirt/cobbles etc.

I got my eye on the 2018 Cervelo R5 as an all around bike.

Last edited by kookie on Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:37 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:39 pm 

Deleted: double post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:46 pm 

I have a commuter bike, a newish road bike, a gravel bike and a very old road bike, that I use when the road bike is packed or the weather is questionable for the good bike but doesn't quite need the disc brakes or the wide tires of the gravel bike. I need to get rid of the old bike , the trek , but I keep putting it off.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:12 pm 

That is actually a really interesting question.

When I began after I 'retired' from racing, my rules were simple: i) it had to be in 'as-raced' condition; and, ii) I had to be able to fit the bike. I never added a bike to my collection that I was 'too scared' to ride, for fear of ruining a piece of racing history. My collection spans the 'modern' era (1950s to today).

The first thing you need is discipline. Sometimes, I have ended-up with multiple versions of the same bike, which is fine if you really love a particular bike/team/rider, but it is not that efficient from a space perspective. Today, I begin by choosing specific bikes and/or riders and go from there.

I like your Madone idea. I, too, really like the new Madone. I have been looking at them pretty hard, but it is tough to choose the 'right' one. That is a great example of being disciplined. As I have not found the 'perfect' one, I have waited and have not yet added one. Fortunately, sometimes the stars line-up and something else unexpected emerges, which happened for me just yesterday!

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:34 pm 

Get a custom steel frame and see how it'll become the bike you ride the most.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:39 pm 

I have a light carbon bike (SS Evo), an aero bike (Willier Cento Uno Air), a custom steel bike from early 2000's (an Anvil, built by Don Ferris of frame jig fame) and a classic Colnago. What I lack is a gravel bike, would love an Open Up but the cost puts me off.

I agree that it requires some discipline-I'd love a Madone, but the Willier would have to go. I'm eyeing Ryan's Crumpton, but his experience leads me to believe that its not really much of a step up from the SS, and the SS owes me nothing at this point.

It is very hard to suppress the N+1 gene.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:17 pm 

1 fancy weenie bike, 1 aero bike for racing, 1 mtb, and 1 steel cross bike for everything else

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:26 pm 

When my bikes overlap like the OP, I start unloading. Keeps the wife happier. :smartass:

Everyone's definition of overlap or redundancy differs. For me, it's whether the bike or frame holds sentimental value or becomes some sort of collectible. A rig bought five years ago with a ten-speed group does not hold the same appeal for me that a twenty year-old rig outfitted with that same gruppo. Easier to sell the newer one, too!

So, my stable includes a newer technology fast bike, older frame 11sp gruppo daily driver, fendered winter bike, and several collector-status bikes and frames. Nothing wrong with collecting stuff and riding 'em occasionally. Cheaper than assembling a car collection! :beerchug:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:11 pm 

glepore wrote:
I have a light carbon bike (SS Evo), an aero bike (Willier Cento Uno Air), a custom steel bike from early 2000's (an Anvil, built by Don Ferris of frame jig fame) and a classic Colnago. What I lack is a gravel bike, would love an Open Up but the cost puts me off.

I agree that it requires some discipline-I'd love a Madone, but the Willier would have to go. I'm eyeing Ryan's Crumpton, but his experience leads me to believe that its not really much of a step up from the SS, and the SS owes me nothing at this point.

It is very hard to suppress the N+1 gene.

This is basically me + a rain bike + non road bikes. Tarmac with reasonably light parts, S3, and a custom Gunnar Roadie. I like riding the Tarmac the most but still want to upgrade. I will probably wait until I can test the new one before I decide what comes next. I want to love the S3 but find it kind of noodly for a racing oriented bike. Gunnar is for rides where there might be mixed surfaces or when I just want to cruise, and occasionally when I want to ride something different on a fast ride.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:26 pm 

I've noticed over the past few builds that I have done that if my bikes overlap, I don't enjoy them equally.

Basically, with multiple bikes at once, this is how I viewed them:

Litespeed Classic
Pros
Slightly smoother than the Litespeed T3 (IOW, smoothest bike I owned)
Gobs of tire clearance
Everything on it was "cheap" so didn't care if anything happened to it.

Cons
More BB flex than the T3
Heavier than the T3
Not as pretty as the T3

When I'd grab it
Commuting somewhere
Long meandering rides

Why I got rid of it
This was the fourth bike at the high, so I really had no reason to keep it since it didn't do anything better than the T3 except be slightly more compliant and was cheap so if I got mugged on one of my commutes I wouldn't care as much.

Cannondale Evo
Pros
Best descending bike I've owned
Stiff and lively feel to it
Looked ace
Very light

Cons
Ride was harsh compared to the T3
Gave an unsettling hollow clunk when hitting potholes and such that heavier carbon doesn't do (TT could also be impressed upon with thumb)

When I'd grab it
Weekend group rides
Any ride where I wanted to have a blast on the descent

Why I got rid of it
The Crumpton was supposed to hands down replace it. I was so sure of this that I didn't even bother to ride them back to back. That was a mistake as I probably would still have the Evo, just with one of those flexy seatposts.

Crumpton Corsa M
Pros
Smoothest/most compliant carbon bike I've owned
Stiff and lively feeling
Relatively light while having a solid feeling to it
Got a lot of compliments

Cons
I'm lukewarm on the aesthetics of the bike
Matte paint is hard to keep clean
Descending seems to err on the side of stable over fast and agile. For technical descents this comes across as slow for me coming off of my other bikes which seem to have faster handling.

When I'd grab it
Weekend group rides

Litespeed T3
Pros
Buttery smooth
Almost never have to clean it
Can't really scratch it
Geo is a nice compromise of stability and responsiveness
Love the looks of it
Love the fit and feel of riding it and interfacing with mechanical SR
Just the right amount of stiffness for a Ti bike
The build is pretty vanilla so I don't have a bunch of people asking me what a Clavicula is or how I can ride an unpadded saddle...

Cons
Doesn't descend quite as well as the Evo but having not ridden the Evo in a month I forgot what that was like so it doesn't bother me anymore.
A slight weight penalty for being metal but at 6.3kg it's not horrible.
Riding carbon bikes to this back to back will make it feel "flexy" at the BB even though it's not really.

When I'd grab it
Everything

Conclusion

So, at the end of the day I keep asking myself why I even have a bike other than the Litespeed. I don't have a valid reason for that other than I like the build bikes. If I do sell the Crumpton and I do get another bike, I'm going to try to put something together that is radically different (as far as a road bike can be) so it minimizes overlap. I'm thinking something like a Felt AR FRD with 60mm carbon wheels and big boy gearing. Basically, a bike specifically for hammering and one that will make me go "ahhhh, that's so much better" when I get back on the Litespeed for all my other rides.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:54 pm 

zzmkdw wrote:
I have a BMC SLR01, S-Works Roubaix, Specialized Crux pro and a Dogma F8. I find that i am riding the F8 most all of the time now. The SLR01 would be my next choice. The Roubaix now gets no use because it doesn't do anything as well as the F8 or the SLR01. The Crux is reserved for gravel riding, but i would replace that if i could find something that performed equally on gravel and tarmac.
-snip-
Those of you that are not collectors for the sake of collecting, how do approach the mix of bikes in your stable assuming you're basically going to ride the sameroads, regardless of the bike you are on? :noidea:

The problem is that you have 3 road bikes. The Roubaix is an endurance bike but when would you really ever want to ride that if you are comfortable on a race bike?

My main road bike is a Colnago C59. It has such a lovely ride that I'm not even looking for that +1 anymore. I also have a Crux that is set up for gravel with 45mm tires. It has also become my Fall/Winter/Early Spring bike when there are lots of wet leaves on the ground. I also have a dual suspension mountain bike but honestly I could almost live without it and just ride the Crux most trails. I love that Crux.

I also bought a Colnago C40 and I'm wondering when I'll want to ride it. I always wanted one and this one is mint and gorgeous but will I choose it over the C59? That remains to be seen.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:45 pm 

With limited budget, my take is to have only two road bike.
One racier, aero, wide tire, light compromise. Aero take priority then i fit a wide wheel set (which make tire wide). Then make it light as long as it doesn't affact aero or functionality. Make it one versatile go to bike for racing and fast group ride rather than a tarmac jet that can't run on bad road or vice-versa. Focus on right quantity in the right place, Stiffness and Aero in the frame, Kill the need of another dedicated endurance bike with wide and comfy tire which has greater effect than flex in the frame itself. (read https://silca.cc/blogs/journal/part-3-t ... nd-comfort ) and riding position*.

*I'm lucky that i like to do 90 degree elbow bend when i try to be aero rather than put the arm straight down to the bar. This means, I put the bar higher up while my back and core body stay the same place as other people who set the bar lower but straighten their arms. Higher bar means i can ride it comfortably when i want to.

Second is basically a sturdy bike (alloy wheel, higher spoke count etc.) that still can be race on in the worse condition (like muddy, gravel). i use it for commute and ride in the condition where don't want to trash my aero bike and carbon parts. It also perform as rain bike in group ride. Componentry is just B grade practical stuff. Sram Rival&Force mix, Butyl tube rather than latex tube of another racier bike for example.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:50 pm 

zzmkdw wrote:

I recently faced the same problem as you: Too many bikes, several of which overlapped (for example I had two identical Colnago C59's., both with Campy Record... who needs 2 identical bikes???), plus several others. So I put some thought into this same question... "How do I approach the mix of bikes I should have?"

I think the answer comes down to where you live, where you ride, and what weather you have (at least it did for me).
- I knew that I wanted a really nice high-end summer/dry weather road bike.
- I knew I also need a wet weather/winter road bike (I live in the UK - one needs a winter/wet bike!)
That covers 95% of my riding these days. But I do love the occasional MTB ride too, so need an MTB.

Therefore, I slimmed my fleet down from the following 6 bikes:

- 2 high end/summer ROAD bikes (the two Colnago C59's)
- Wet weather/winter ROAD bike (Colnago CLX)
- CX bike (Planet X XLS)
- MTB XC/trail bike (Turner Czar)
- DH bike (Transition TR450)

To these 4:

- A high end/summer ROAD bike (Sold both C59's - am getting a C60 or a custom steel)
- Wet weather/winter ROAD bike (Colnago CLX)
- MTB (XC/trail bike) (Turner Czar)

I didn't need 2 identical high end road bikes, didn't ride the CX bike much (I preferred the 29er for most courses anyway) and can rent a DH bike for the 4 days a year I go to Morzine/The Alps.

I've got to say - it's significantly cut down on the amount of maintenance required - plus freed up a load of space! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:44 am 

zzmkdw wrote:

As of now i am willing to part with any or all of the bikes, with the exception of maybe the dogma. The only bike that really intrigues me right now is the Madone 9.0 because i wouldn't be tied to the integrated bar/stem. The Madone would be redundant to the Dogma, however, and i cant imagine it would do anything better than the Dogma.

I used to have more bikes but have gradually reduced them as new tech means there's more benefit in selling and buying than hording and never riding IMO

So I have one A road bike that only sees dry weather (Spring > Autumn)

One B road bike that is also a decent front line bike ... so both have Record/Super Record and Boras etc, but I'm happy to throw some alu clinchers on and ride this in winter (avoiding really wet weather which I don't ride in at all)

Having two road bikes also means that mechanicals/repairs are never going to keep you off the road - that is really important to me. IMO there is no need to have more than this at any one site - I can see the argument if you travel to a holiday home/to see family regularly and want to store a bike there

And then I have a hybrid/gravel/riding with family type flatbar that the wife also rides, again minimising the number of bikes required

Time and space limits any more. I guess I'd buy a mountain bike or disc cross bike also if completely unconstrained to cover some off-road/wet commuting that I currently chose not to do because of not having the right bike, but it's marginal ...

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:44 am