Campy upgrade, keep cassette and chain?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

I currently use an Athena 2015 group, Chorus cassette and KMC XL11-SL chain. Would like to switch to Record parts, same Chorus cassette and chain. Current one has 5500Km, shows some teeth rounding over but other than this seems to be OK without shifting issues. Chain is about 1000Km, I can't measure any elongation. I did have a nasty incident with it 500Km earlier, went under high force from small to big ring, chain went over and knotted and jammed very hard under the crankarm but seems to have survived.

Question is, keep the current cogs and chain saving ~150euro or get new ones.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

If you are upgrading everything to Record, you might as well get a new cassette and chain as well. I would.

FWIW, after many years of using KNC chains with 10 speed, I switched to Campy chains and my 11 speed drivetrain is much quieter.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

There's minimal difference between Chorus and Record. With the money saved by buying Chorus you could easily afford a new cassette and chain.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

AJS914

by AJS914

Honestly, I think Record is a vanity play - red logos, a couple of extra bits of carbon, and maybe a few ti bolts for $500. People with Record are often buying a Chorus cassette to save money anyway which negates some weight savings.

hannawald

by hannawald

weight difference chorus vs record is about 60g, vs super record about 170g. chorus is a choice of head, everything else is heart:)

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Yes, R or SR is a lot of money for a bit of bling (although some will argue the fancy bearings are worth it at the cranks)

But let's put the question differently. Say I dunno, hit a curb and break some teeth from the big ring. I need a new one. The cassette is 5k, chain 1k. Keep them or change considering they were working? If I save money in any way (keep athena, chorus vs record whatever) I'd rather put the cash aside for new wheels.

AJS914

by AJS914

I would just install the new chainring.

BTW, you can install fancy bearings on a Chorus crank for hundreds less than a SR crank.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c60rider

by c60rider

This topic may help you decide to keep your existing cassette and chain http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=146179
My reply on page 2 had a cassette lasting 40,000 miles by replacing the chain around every 5,000 miles and keeping the drive train clean so your current cassette has barely any use on it unless it's been ridden in dirty/filthy/gritty conditions. Wait until they're worn out.