Crank length confusion

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Greatestalltime

by Greatestalltime

https://youtu.be/bjrNuPjACnU

So I'm trying to figure out what crank length to use on my next bike. After much research it seems there's no good answer. I'm sure I'll get the "have a pro fit you" , but everything I've read says that doesn't necessarily work either. Or really does anything?

I'm on 170mm now. Sometimes I feel I'd like to go longer. Not really sure why. I think it dates back to bmx days when a short crank wasn't good. Of course there were no gears.

So I'd like some opinions as I've read many different ones from pro riders. For instance Sagan used 172.5 and so does Quintana, despite their height and I presume leg differences. Many others don't fit the traditional mold and many ametuers are the same.

Different articles mention different terrain as a factor as well.
I'm 5"10" and ride flats and climbs about equally.
Last edited by Greatestalltime on Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

morganb

by morganb

The Zinn formula for length has worked well for me. 21% – 21.6% of your inseam. I ended up trying much shorter cranks than I had ridden previously (170-172.5) going down to 155-160 and have a much smoother pedal stroke and it has taken a lot of pressure off my knees. If you have average leg length and mobility at 5'10 170-172.5 is likely close to where you want to be and not going to make a huge difference going up 2.5mm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Greatestalltime

by Greatestalltime

Thank you

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

That would put me on 185-190mm cranks and i am on 172.5mm.
I could use 170mm, but 175mm i don't like.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

morganb

by morganb

wheelsONfire wrote:That would put me on 185-190mm cranks and i am on 172.5mm.
I could use 170mm, but 175mm i don't like.

What is your saddle height at 172.5?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I have different saddle height with different saddles.
I ride Cobb Randee (generation 1 = not the one available now)
This saddle has quite a bit of hull flex and all padding you need, is in the saddle.

I am at about 78cm.
I am also not using traditional bib shorts (with fat chamois that is)
Pedals are Mavic CrossMax SL Pro and Giro VR-90 shoes.

You could say, i am almost exactly on, inseam length * 1.09 from top of saddle to center hole of crankarm (where you insert pedal).
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

morganb

by morganb

wheelsONfire wrote:I have different saddle height with different saddles.
I ride Cobb Randee (generation 1 = not the one available now)
This saddle has quite a bit of hull flex and all padding you need, is in the saddle.

I am at about 78cm.
I am also not using traditional bib shorts (with fat chamois that is)
Pedals are Mavic CrossMax SL Pro and Giro VR-90 shoes.

You could say, i am almost exactly on, inseam length * 1.09 from top of saddle to center hole of crankarm (where you insert pedal).

Something seems wrong with you arriving at 185-190. My BB to top of saddle with a Toupe and 155mm is 71.8cm. Possibly the way you measure inseam compared to the way Zinn recommends. I know he's a proponent of long cranks for very tall riders (himself included) but I don't think you would fall into that category.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Crank length is about what level you ride at.

If you are like a noob and your bike is poorly set up and you only ride recreationally, crank length will not matter that much because other things are wrong.

If you are an aspiring amateur rider and race then the best way to find out what suits is to try different lengths - trying just two lengths might sort it. There is a general move towards shorter cranks, which are said to open up the hip angle.

AJS914

by AJS914

Don't over think it. There is such a small difference between 170 and 172.5.

I'm 6 foot tall and have come down from 175s. I like that I can achieve a higher spin with 170s or 172.5s. That means I'm usually riding one gear easier on climbs and using a higher cadence. The nice thing about going from 175s to 170s is the decreased hip angle which means I can be lower and more aero.

mattr

by mattr

topflightpro

by topflightpro

Did you read the link I posted to over in BF? There's a lengthy and thorough discussion on the affects of crank arm length on cadence and power.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

This is weightweenies, right?
shorter crank weight less. Then it allow you to use higher cadence (like sprint at 120RPM with same linear foot speed as 112RPM on longer crank). That allow you to drop down chainring size. 52/36 to 50/34 -> smaller chainring also weight less. win-win. :P

/on serious note, 2.5mm doesn't really feel like much. Maybe try 5mm difference to feel it more noticable.
Last edited by Hexsense on Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

If you race crits or love to carve corners, shorter crank is preferred for clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I'm 170cm tall and use 170mm cranks. But my MTB comes with 175mm cranks. Who do MTBs come with longer cranks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovemyway

by lovemyway

Is anyone here with longer legs (38+ inches inseam) riding longer cranks than 175mm? If so, what's your experience? I'm currently on 180mm's but I'm kinda considering the 175mm as well, mainly because the 180mm model I'm interested in is not available ;)

When I had a bike fit 2 months ago I've asked to try both the 175mm and 180mm to check if I'll see the difference but honestly, I didn't. Maybe I could've get 1-2 RPMs more on the shorter crank, maybe not, but that's it; no discomfort, no different power transfer feeling. Think I might be forcing myself to using longer cranks for no real reason, guess I'll never know.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com