Suggestions for finishing bar tape ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wobbly

by wobbly

I've tried different electrical tapes but find that they all seem to reveal the glue after a while and look a mess.
Anyone any good suggestions to achieve a neat looking finish.
I'm about to wrap the bars with fresh lizard skins soon.

What are your recos please ?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Electrical tape. What you are probably doing is stretching it to the very last point where you cut it. Instead, do a few tightly stretched wraps but near the end leave a length of about 5cm where you just let it fall where it does with no stretch. Press it down and it will stay put. No pulling back on itself to reveal a sticky mess. I cut it so that it will end underneath the bars and you won't see it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeD

by MikeD

3M makes one of the better electrical tapes. Avoid cheap Chinese tape.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

super glue

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I've been really happy using silicone tape. It stays put without adhesive, is re-usable and comes in plenty of colors.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Use good quality 3M electrical tape. Do the not-stretching thing mentioned above. No mess at all.

Kurets

by Kurets

I like hockey tape (at least thats what I think it is) plain, thin cotton tape. Stays put and looks a bit more refined than electrical tape. Only issue is that it gets sun bleached and dirty in a way which electrical tape obviously doesnt.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Calnago is absolutely correct. I have wrapped so many bars it is staggering. I'm still not that good at it either, but he is right. good quality electrical tape from 3m or U-Line. No dollar store stuff. Do not stretch the last few centimeters. cut and press.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

Hogy

by Hogy

My solution. I've been using for years. http://hifoun.rajce.idnes.cz/Dean_El_Di ... 3150zm.jpg
Last edited by Hogy on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marin

by Marin

I sometimes use the Fizik finishing tape since I only use Fizik tape now, but cut in half.

Sleepless

by Sleepless

What's wrong with Lizard Skins finishers? They have the same texture as the tape and look neat.

mrtkcmz

by mrtkcmz

Hogy wrote:My solution. I've been using for years. http://hifoun.rajce.idnes.cz/Dean_El_Di ... SC3150zm.j

Hogy how you manage that? can you please tell?

beanbiken

by beanbiken

mrtkcmz wrote:
Hogy wrote:My solution. I've been using for years. http://hifoun.rajce.idnes.cz/Dean_El_Di ... SC3150zm.j

my guess is he is wraping his bars from top to bottom then tucking in with the plugs....... looks damn neat :beerchug:
BB

Coffee & carbon

jobvisser

by jobvisser

beanbiken wrote:
mrtkcmz wrote:

my guess is he is wraping his bars from top to bottom then tucking in with the plugs....... looks damn neat :beerchug:

yes he is
---> :oops: Send me a pm to order world's lightest low carbon fiber dust covers! (1g) :oops: <---

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hogy

by Hogy

beanbiken wrote:
mrtkcmz wrote:

Exactly! Not every bar tape is suitable for this. And you have to tighten the bar tape a little bit more (edge of the bar tape can roll up). And Sorry for my English :-)