Praxis alternative to 110mm rings on Shimano?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Any idea if Praxis will offer a 110mm standard road chainring for Shimano cranksets in the future? Can't think of a better alternative to Shimano rings in regards to aftermarket cranksets on 9xxx drivetrains.

They don't seem interested but I loved my 5 bolt Praxis rings in the past. Equal to my 9000 rings for sure.
Just ride ..

stormur

by stormur

itsacarr wrote:... I loved my 5 bolt Praxis rings in the past. Equal to my 9000 rings for sure.

ROTFL
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Personal experience entirely but my praxis rings on s-works crankset shifted on par with my 9000 crankset. Im sure for others 9000 is far better but I never had issues.

Again, personal experience - but regardless this thread is looking at alternatives in respect to aftermarket cranksets i.e., SRM, etc. on that particular standard.
Just ride ..

jfranci3

by jfranci3

The whole point of Praxis rings are to be the equivalent of Shimano's forged rings. I don't see why they would offer anything.

justaute

by justaute

What about Specialite TA from France? It makes chainrings for Shimano 110 BCD Asymmetric design.

https://specialites-ta.com/produits-acc ... nring.html

I don't have any personal experience with its products, but have read they are pretty good.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

itsacarr wrote:Any idea if Praxis will offer a 110mm standard road chainring for Shimano cranksets in the future? Can't think of a better alternative to Shimano rings in regards to aftermarket cranksets on 9xxx drivetrains.

They don't seem interested but I loved my 5 bolt Praxis rings in the past. Equal to my 9000 rings for sure.

But...but why would you want to buy a praxis ring when you can buy a shimano ring? Weight? Price?

itsacarr

by itsacarr

For me personally it's in regards to SRM models - the new origin is spec'd with B.O.R rings which I don't care for. Shimano rings look pretty silly on a flat spider but obviously have little to no comparison to anything else out there. And of all the aftermarket rings I have had the opportunity to use on other cranksets, praxis are the only ones I have seen as very nice. But yes, Shimano is certainly the standard. I realize that it would be way too small am market to make a ring in that pattern for Praxis, but one can hope right?
Just ride ..

pcrispey

by pcrispey

Currently running some Stronglite 110 4 arm chainrings on an FSA cranck work perfectly.

Beaver

by Beaver

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... set-47709/

"There’s no doubt that Shimano Dura-Ace chainrings set the benchmark for shift quality and rarely do others compare – except Praxis and their Leva Time shifting system. We found the Praxis rings shifted exceptionally well, with immediate pick-up of the chain without hesitation. Never did we experience any sign of a miss-shift and were able to shift under greater power than we could achieve before."

So this is all marketing...?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Maybe it's pretty set-up dependent?

My Praxis rings doesn't shift nearly as good as Wickwerks chainring on Sram Red Exogram BB30 crank arms.
While it shift darn good on Praxis's own crank arms. It's the best shifting i've ever experienced.

Therefore, Crank spider spacing etc. can make user experience varies by a lot.
PS. i recall that it doesn't shift well on Cannondale SISL2+P2M of TheDarkInstall too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkEB8PDRE6U

itsacarr wrote:For me personally it's in regards to SRM models - the new origin is spec'd with B.O.R rings which I don't care for. Shimano rings look pretty silly on a flat spider but obviously have little to no comparison to anything else out there. And of all the aftermarket rings I have had the opportunity to use on other cranksets, praxis are the only ones I have seen as very nice. But yes, Shimano is certainly the standard. I realize that it would be way too small am market to make a ring in that pattern for Praxis, but one can hope right?

try Wickwerks
https://wickwerks.com/products/road-bik ... ide-53-34/

Beaver

by Beaver

Did you use the original Praxis Rings or the new Buzz with the Red BB30?

I thought this would be a great combo, sub 500g, stiff and good shifting.
Last edited by Beaver on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I have both, 50/34 old style and 52/36 new style (both 110bcd ofcourse). The old 50/34 fit fine out of the box to GXP crank arm but need some filing the edge of the ring to sit flush on BB30 crank arm. Interesting that there is a difference in clearance of where chainring meet carbon behind crankarm between GXP and BB30 version. New style 52/36 seems fine on BB30 Red Exogram (as far as i can see).

Part of the problem maybe that i use Sram crankset (BB30) on Shimano FD. Too many third party parts working together that i don't know where to track or blame.
But anyway, Wickwerks simply shift better in this combo with their (excessive?) 10-11 shift ramps (depend on the size).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beaver

by Beaver

In the german tour forum there are no complaints about Praxis shift quality, something's really strange here.

There could be problems with DI2...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkEB8PDRE6U

...as the new Shimano cranks use a "shift ramp", which will for sure be better for the "digital" even strong pushing of the electric motor.

With mechanical one can still feel how much pressure is needed, maybe that helps. :noidea: