What is the current king of aluminum in 2017?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

corky

by corky

Potato

crbeardy

by crbeardy

vinuneuro wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:33 am
So many pages in this thread when there are really only two. Allez Sprint and CAAD12.
Emonda ALR?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

themidge

by themidge

Not bad, not bad...
This one might be steel though.

Wookski

by Wookski

C36 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:18 pm
From a tech point of view I am not seeing why legend and spooky should be there. If you look they are behind what a caad5 was. Round tubes not differentiated.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Having ridden two Spookys, a Legend, CAAD10 & CAAD12 i'm not sure what the specific benefits are of the tech you're referring to? Yes they have hydroformed shapes etc. however from a ride quality perspective the Spooky and Legend provide the snappiness of alloy without beating you up like a CAAD. Although the tubes are round they are very different beasts to vintage alloy frames.

freehub

by freehub

Wookski wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:15 am
C36 wrote:
From a tech point of view I am not seeing why legend and spooky should be there. If you look they are behind what a caad5 was. Round tubes not differentiated.

Having ridden two Spookys, a Legend, CAAD10 & CAAD12 i'm not sure what the specific benefits are of the tech you're referring to? Yes they have hydroformed shapes etc. however from a ride quality perspective the Spooky and Legend provide the snappiness of alloy without beating you up like a CAAD. Although the tubes are round they are very different beasts to vintage alloy frames.
Beat you up like a CAAD12? What are you talking about? A CAAD12 is a magic carpet ride.
Any round tube bike...pick one...will never have the performance of a hydroformed CAAD12. There will be give up in performance. You may not be able to feel it...apparently not. If the designers of Spookys or Legend give the bike a good ride with round tubes, the bike probably has 1/2 the lateral stiffness of a CAAD12. The biggest leap forward in Aluminum frameset tech has been hydroforming to create differential stiffness...excellent ride quality and stiff for power transfer and control when sprinting.

Wookski

by Wookski

freehub wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:20 am

Beat you up like a CAAD12? What are you talking about? A CAAD12 is a magic carpet ride.
Any round tube bike...pick one...will never have the performance of a hydroformed CAAD12. There will be give up in performance. You may not be able to feel it...apparently not. If the designers of Spookys or Legend give the bike a good ride with round tubes, the bike probably has 1/2 the lateral stiffness of a CAAD12. The biggest leap forward in Aluminum frameset tech has been hydroforming to create differential stiffness...excellent ride quality and stiff for power transfer and control when sprinting.
“Magic carpet ride” you’re kidding? You get magic carpet on $6K+ custom carbon frame, not a CAAD :lol:

But thank you for regurgitating the marketing material.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

freehub wrote:
Wookski wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:15 am
C36 wrote:

yeah nah if you think the CAADS have a 'magic carpet' you need to go and ride some other bikes.. the CAADs are a hell of a lot of bike for the moines but they have the ride quality of a baseball bat. I'm constantly surprised by how good the ride of my spooky is. It has nothing on my English or Tsubasa customs but for an alloy bike its it surprisingly good.. one of my customers has a CAAD12 and 2 Spookys which are in constant ride rotation and he says there is no comparison...

the reason the Spooky and the Legend have a better ride quality than any of the factory alloys is down to the dedacciai tubing pure and simple

silvalis

by silvalis

What makes dedacciai tubing so special?
Chasse patate

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

silvalis wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:29 am
It's butted for starters and they say before it's heat treated it's so soft you can almost push your finger through it

RimClencher

by RimClencher

I can push my finger through clay before it is heat treated, but I wouldn't ride a porcelain bike.

Wookski

by Wookski

RimClencher wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:09 am
I can push my finger through clay before it is heat treated, but I wouldn't ride a porcelain bike.
Really? Wouldn’t it ride like a CAAD?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

sugarkane wrote:
silvalis wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:29 am
It's butted for starters and they say before it's heat treated it's so soft you can almost push your finger through it
Stop making me crave a Spooky damnit

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

freehub

by freehub

Wookski wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:17 am
freehub wrote:

“Magic carpet ride” you’re kidding? You get magic carpet on $6K+ custom carbon frame, not a CAAD :lol:

But thank you for regurgitating the marketing material.
Not marketing bro. Cannondale has forgotten more about ride quality, lateral stiffness relative to weight than Spooky or Legend or any other boutique brands that build bikes in their basement ever considered. I am an engineer. Differential section modulus and moment of inertia is not marketing, its physics. A round section bike either has poorer ride quality or poor energy transmission to the rear wheel than an optimized hydroformed Al bike which the CAAD12 and Spesh Allez are. There is no free lunch in engineering and why round section bikes aside from poorer aerodynamics have been going the way of the dinosaur for some time.

The Cannondale EVO is one of the best carbon race bikes on the planet. Here is an article below that compares the EVO to the CAAD12. Bang for buck it isn't even close. The Al EVO aka CAAD12 wins and in an 'objective' comparison unlike your comments comparing the CAAD12..not its predecessors...but the CAAD12 to Spooky or Legend a bygone era of perceived 'craftsmanship'... the CAAD12 would trounce a Spooky, Legend or 'any' round tube bike if the reviewer had a clue what he was talking about. It isn't about the material either, its all in the shape and why Al beats round Ti as well.

CAAD12 versus EVO:
https://cyclingtips.com/2017/01/cannond ... on-review/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I'm sorry mate but the Allez and the caad are not nice bikes to ride after 100kms and the only engeering that either company has put into either of those bikes is engeering the cost of manufacturing down.. wookski has actually owned the a spook and a raad. My self I've ridden both and plenty of them own a spooky and there is no comparison.. you have to remember that cannondale are the idiots who unleashed the press fit bottom bracket on the world and once again it's was engeering aimed at reducing the cost of MFG not performance. as I said go ride some other bikes.. CAADs are awesome bang per buck and handle really well but ride quality is not a word one associated with them..