MTB crank on a road bike - 46/30t 46/28t anyone?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Hello weenies...

A friend is getting ready for the Taiwan KOM climb and is worried of burning out and having to walk the bike the 27% grades at the end as well as not finishing within the 7h time limit. He likes to spin and just dislikes being out of the saddle.

He's on a wilier running campy veloce 10s with a compact crank 50/34 and a 12-30t cassette. The derailleur is already the longest available thats compatible (medium) and looks to be at the limit on the 30t cog. Not much space to fit even a 32t which isn't available from campy (campy freehub).

To the point. I saw on youtube you can fit an mtb crank on there. The problem is the chainring size. Double chainring cranks are usually maxed at 42/28t and we would like a 46/28 or 46/30. Do you have an idea which common crank can be fitted with such rings and could work on a 10s road bike?

He has a clamp on front derailleur that can be lowered appropriately. I've been looking to get an mtb crank in an appropriate bcd and switch a chainring if needed. What do you think?

Thank you for reading!
/a

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shimmeD

by shimmeD

46/33 on compact 110bcd is definitely doable.
mtb cranks have higher Q-factor, no?
Less is more.

silvalis

by silvalis

Look at those new fsa and praxis sub-compacts.
46/30 and 48/32
Chasse patate

Marin

by Marin

If you really want to fit an MTB crank (higher Q factor but most ppl don't notice) you can get *all* ring sizes from Specialites TA.

xeonrs3000

by xeonrs3000

I replaced a Shimano compact with a 46/30 FSA Omega (2017) on my wife's road bike. Only gotcha is that you have to replace the bottom bracket since the FSA has a 19mm spindle, which also implies that there are not a lot of bottom bracket options (only the ones from FSA themselves). They also have a pricier version (SL-K adventure).

Overall we're very happy with it. Much better solution than having to fit a cassette with large gaps between gears.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

What do you think would happen if you get for example a 3 ring crank like 48/36/24t and take out the 36, put the 48 on it's place and swap out the little one for a 30t (64bcd).

An outer ring being used as a middle ring. How would that work?

/a

silvalis

by silvalis

I think your chainring spacing will be way out.
Chasse patate

mattr

by mattr

All the spotfaces on the chainring will be wrong, ring spacing *should* be ok. But chainline might be odd.

morganb

by morganb

Rotor announced a 46/30 chainring set that mounts to their cranks but I have only seen one set in the wild.

Marin

by Marin

alcatraz wrote:What do you think would happen if you get for example a 3 ring crank like 48/36/24t and take out the 36, put the 48 on it's place and swap out the little one for a 30t (64bcd).

/a

I did this on my old CX, riding 26/40 and 30/40 with a FSA Gossamer triple and TA rings. Shifting was *excellent*.

Because of the positive experience, I just did the same for my wife's new (all-)road bike, she now has an FSA SL-K carbon triple crank with the 26/40 combo and an 11-32 in the back.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I had a Campy 10-speed cross bike that was used on trails. Ended up with a Deore crankset and needed a Deore FD as well. The stock FD will foul the chainstay before being low enough. Everything worked fine.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

ooo

by ooo

Marin wrote:
alcatraz wrote:What do you think would happen if you get for example a 3 ring crank like 48/36/24t and take out the 36, put the 48 on it's place and swap out the little one for a 30t (64bcd).

/a

I did this on my old CX, riding 26/40 and 30/40 with a FSA Gossamer triple and TA rings. Shifting was *excellent*.

Because of the positive experience, I just did the same for my wife's new (all-)road bike, she now has an FSA SL-K carbon triple crank with the 26/40 combo and an 11-32 in the back.

What was source for 40T chainring?
Was it chainring for big or middle position originally?
Last edited by ooo on Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'

Marin

by Marin

ooo wrote:What was source for 40T chainring?
Was it chainring for big or middle position originally?

Specialites TA. Middle ring.

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

On Rotor crankset, it's possible to change the spider for the MTB one, 110/74 (or 60, Rotor proprietary). You keep the road Q factor, have the possibility to have less than 30t on the inner.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morganb

by morganb

jeanjacques wrote:On Rotor crankset, it's possible to change the spider for the MTB one, 110/74 (or 60, Rotor proprietary). You keep the road Q factor, have the possibility to have less than 30t on the inner.

Didn't realize they were interchangeable, good to know as I primarily run Rotor cranks due to them offering shorter lengths. On a similar vein TA Specialites cranks allow you to do the same, although they are square taper.