2018 Cannondale Synapse

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ltyarbro42

by Ltyarbro42

http://www.velonews.com/2017/07/news/first-ride-cannondales-aggressive-endurance-synapse_443040

32c tires and more aggressive geo? Ya, this is starting to look like an awesome offseason ride.
950g for a 56cm

Not to mention this drool-worthy handlebar/stem combo. It seems like the finishing piece of kit to smooth out my CAAD12.

Last edited by Ltyarbro42 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffy

by jeffy

alot is made about "more aggressive" geometry, but as far as i can tell (i only know a couple of sizes) it seems +/-5mm stack and reach.

jimmerjohn123

by jimmerjohn123

Since this is weight weenies...

the frame weight for a 56cm frame painted with all hardware in place is 220g lighter than before (weighing 950g) and the fork is down to 367g — that's 116g lighter....

...The standard carbon model's frame tips the scales at 1,100g, and surprisingly that’s still lighter than the previous generation's pricey Hi-Mod version.

Not bad for an endurance frame.

Ltyarbro42

by Ltyarbro42

[quote="jimmerjohn123"]Since this is weight weenies...

lol I was actually going to add these after I realized my sin

hannawald

by hannawald

in the article on cycling weekly there is a table comparing weight and stiffness with major competitors (btw Canyon Endurace still rule them all:)
i just don't get, that Canyon claims 820g for its Endurace SLX frame while Canyon 950g, but in reality they are almost the same..

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/produ ... isc-340096

wingguy

by wingguy

jeffy wrote:alot is made about "more aggressive" geometry, but as far as i can tell (i only know a couple of sizes) it seems +/-5mm stack and reach.

The Velonews article says the 56 has the same stack and reach as before, and the BR article says the 58 is 1mm shorter and 1mm lower. Maybe it changes more in the smaller sizes but so far it's a pretty confused message they're giving out.

Although, if they ship them without that conical 25mm spacer they could claim that it's siginificantly more aggressive out of the box :P

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/07/cannond ... ide-review for those of you that haven't seen it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Torchy

by Torchy

I like the handlebar a lot!

asiantrick

by asiantrick

Finally a Cannondale that actually looks good. But that paint job though :(

nemeseri

by nemeseri

hannawald wrote:in the article on cycling weekly there is a table comparing weight and stiffness with major competitors (btw Canyon Endurace still rule them all:)
i just don't get, that Canyon claims 820g for its Endurace SLX frame while Canyon 950g, but in reality they are almost the same..

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/produ ... isc-340096

Nice job silently excluding the focus paralane from that article. Focus claims that the paralane is 900g painted with hardware. That's probably very close to the hi-mod synapse. The price of the paralane is slightly higher than the non-hi-mod synapse, but all model share the same light frameset (going from tiagra to sram etap), the fenders are included and they have reasonably light wheels. Also I'd rather get a bike with BB86.5 than with the PF30A. Just simply because of the cheaper BB options. (You need kogel / cbear or bb infinite bottom bracket to run shimano cranksets. and those BBs are quite expensive)

My only problem with the paralane is the extremely high stack and low reach and the fact that probably I have to wait for the 2018 lineup a bit (with the new ultegra gruppo).
Last edited by nemeseri on Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Interview with David Devine and Ian Surra to answer your questions http://road.cc/content/tech-news/225756 ... -ian-surra

My 02 cents - the industry has been pushing the envelope to amplify the value of an endurance bike, specifically to those who don't race. New Synapse is a prime example. I believe that those days are over when non-racer is dancing on pedals on pure race machine. Moral of the story - if you don't race, don't buy a pure race machine (e.g. Evo) with deep carbon wheels.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

jlmcabral

by jlmcabral

Do you think that the fact of not being able to run Shimano cranks without adapters is an exclusion factor when deciding a new bike?

From what a I have read, bb30a are nota the best bottom brackets in the world and creaking and cliking are common problems

caadbrad

by caadbrad

jlmcabral wrote:Do you think that the fact of not being able to run Shimano cranks without adapters is an exclusion factor when deciding a new bike?

From what a I have read, bb30a are nota the best bottom brackets in the world and creaking and cliking are common problems

I'm personally happy that i went with a Specialized Roubaix and easily swapped out the Praxis crank with a Dura-Ace 9100 BB/Crank setup. I had a Caad10 for many years and in turn replaced many BB's.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ohyeah22

by ohyeah22

Discs only?? Grrrr

"They aren't buying a race bike, so they must not want rim brakes AND must not care about the added weight of discs."

Booooo Cannondale