The obvious weight points to reduce ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

what's the weight of the contact SLR stem?

wwnick

by wwnick

are those 40/45mm M6 bolts in the seat cluster safe to replace with the same in aluminium, almost 20g of weight shaved there. or even crbon bolts for this area.
and carbon or aluminium bolts in top cap, is this recommended?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Look595

by Look595

Just switched to 3T ARX LTD carbon stem from the 3T ARX Team alloy and instantly i can feel that my ride feel more "carpet" when going through road bumps or potholes. Many often said that alloy stem is better as a material for stem but i think i am a supporter for going with carbon stem after trying it out myself.

Look595

by Look595

addictR1 wrote:what's the weight of the contact SLR stem?

As stated in the web,

Giant Contact SLR Stem is an ultra-light, full composite construction stem with 31.8mm clamp diameter and a huge 46mm clamping area, featuring titanium hardware. Includes shim for 28.6mm steerer tube.
Ultra-light full-composite construction
31.8mm diameter with shim for 28.6mm steerer tube
31.8mm clamp diameter with 46mm handlebar clamping area
Flip-flop +/-8° adjustable rise
Recessed top cap and semi-integrated first spacer for increased steerer tube interface
Titanium hardware
Weights: 120g - 155g

squid046

by squid046

I always thought about starting a thread like this but thought i'd get laughed at.

brackc

by brackc

Look595 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:52 am
Just switched to 3T ARX LTD carbon stem from the 3T ARX Team alloy and instantly i can feel that my ride feel more "carpet" when going through road bumps or potholes. Many often said that alloy stem is better as a material for stem but i think i am a supporter for going with carbon stem after trying it out myself.
fairwheelbikes tested that alloy stem, which is one of the stiffest non-sprinter stems in their test, it would be interesting to compare their numbers on deflection with peoples perceptions of material across more stems, because 3T might just make a slightly softer carbon stem, or they may not and it may absorb vibrations more in the carbon version for the same stiffness.

http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/reviews- ... em-review/

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Think off the bike first.
Weight on your body will exhast you much quicker than on the bike so.....
-Make sure your BMI is under 25, and ideally 20-23 range.
-Some helmets are quite heavy, you can easily save 50g to 100g.
-Light carbon soled cycle shoes with a titanium bolt kit.

On the bike.
-OEM saddles are usually heavy some 300g. You can easily get a saddle under 150g.
-OEM Seatposts are also often heavy, here go carbon because it's a bit more comfortable.
-Tires and tubes wheels and tubes are somewhere you can save kgs. But you need to match your weight/terrain/cost/purpose to you. There is no single best choice here. I use higher-end alloy climbing rims (1300g) with thick durable tires (Panaracer Race D Evo 3) and lighter butyl tubes. I have sometimes rough and always debris covered roads and punctures are a constant plague if I try to go lighter or faster with tires. I also bikepack and have limited finances, tubular, tubeless and latex tubes don't really work for me.
-Ti skewers can easily see 50g or more saving.
-SRAM Force or Red groupset with Shimano Dura-Ace brakes and pedals, for IMHO lightest and most reliable.