Size advice Cervélo R5 (not the new one)

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Post Reply
machadok1
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:30 pm

by machadok1

Hi !

I will buy my dream bike next week in a good deal, a cervélo r5 with mechanical DA (2015-2017 gen).
I'm with some doubts regarding bike size. I'm 1.82 m and i'm thinking of 54 or 56. I currently have a ktm revelator that is a 55 and i feel reasonably great on the bike with a 110 mm stem. Looking at the geometry table, I saw that although the size of the top tube of 55 of ktm is equal to that of 54 of the cervélo, the closest values of reach and stack are those of 56 ( the reach mainly)

Thanks in advance for the help.

by Weenie


Olivv
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 10:18 am
Location: France

by Olivv

Hello,

I'm 1.81m and my R5 in 54 is fine :D

964Cup
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:31 am

by 964Cup

Go with stack and reach. I'd say you're at the absolute upper edge of the 54; you could surely make it work with a 130 stem and a lot of exposed seatpost, or go with the 56 and a 110 stem. I'm 185cm and ride a 56 R5. Bear in mind that until this year, the R-series has had a fairly large stack for the size, so if you want a low front end, size down.

machadok1
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:30 pm

by machadok1

964Cup wrote:Go with stack and reach. I'd say you're at the absolute upper edge of the 54; you could surely make it work with a 130 stem and a lot of exposed seatpost, or go with the 56 and a 110 stem. I'm 185cm and ride a 56 R5. Bear in mind that until this year, the R-series has had a fairly large stack for the size, so if you want a low front end, size down.

machadok1 wrote:Hi !
Olivv wrote:Hello,

I'm 1.81m and my R5 in 54 is fine :D


Thanks a lot for the help.
In my LBS, I was able to test a 54 with 100 mm stem (biketest) which was the only size available. I felt the bike a bit small but it probably could be solved with a bigger stem but i still loved it. I'm not much inside bikefitting, so although the top tube is much larger (564 R5 vs 547), my fit will be similar because of the reach?

machadok1
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:30 pm

by machadok1

Thanks a lot for the help.
In my LBS, I was able to test a 54 with 100 mm stem (biketest) which was the only size available. I felt the bike a bit small but it probably could be solved with a bigger stem but i still loved it. I'm not much inside bikefitting, so although the top tube is much larger (564 R5 vs 547), my fit will be similar because of the reach?

machadok1
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:30 pm

by machadok1

I will buy the bike today. I'm going to test a 56 and try to re-test the 54 with a bigger stem. I think I'm not going badly with either because even with 54 I get more stack than the 56 or L of other brands despite the more agressive look.
Despite this, if anyone who has this bike or can give me any recommendation I always thank you..

wingguy
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:43 pm

by wingguy

machadok1 wrote:I will buy the bike today. I'm going to test a 56 and try to re-test the 54 with a bigger stem. I think I'm not going badly with either because even with 54 I get more stack than the 56 or L of other brands despite the more agressive look.

Which brands? :noidea:

Average stack of a 56 race bike from major brands hovers around 565mm. Stack of the outgoing R5 in a 54 is 555.

machadok1
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:30 pm

by machadok1

Hello !

I also did a bikefit today and I was recommended the 56 with 100/110 mm stem slammed (final adjustments tomorrow) the 54 would also work if I had better flexibility. In this case, I would have some spacers under the stem. I also had the chance to try it before and felt very good.
Bike purchased.

Thanks :)

machadok1
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:30 pm

by machadok1

wingguy wrote:Which brands? :noidea:

Average stack of a 56 race bike from major brands hovers around 565mm. Stack of the outgoing R5 in a 54 is 555.


Sorry, I was wrong about that. :o

964Cup
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:31 am

by 964Cup

Old school R5 in a 56 is 580mm stack. The new one is 572mm. This compares to say 549mm on a 56 Trek Emonda in the H1 (race) fit, despite the Emonda having a longer reach (395 vs 387 for the R5).

Cervelo reduced the stack in the new R5 to suit factory team riders (allegedly); clearly most Cervelos are bought by amateurs who are better suited by a higher stack. The Trek H2 fit Emonda has an almost identical 387 reach, 577 stack to the 2017 R5, for instance.

Obviously you can adjust the reach with stem length and choice of bars, but that does affect handling. You can adjust the stack with spacers (up) and stem angle (up or down) and that just affects aesthetics. Frankly, though, a race geo bike with 30mm of spacers or a flipped stem looks stupid. By the same token, there's only so much you can do to lower a tall front end - my 58 S5 has a massive headtube (stack 605, reach 396) and even with a -17 stem completely slammed it's still substantially taller than my 56 R5Ca (was...boohoo!).

machadok1
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:30 pm

by machadok1

I already tested the bike and it's very cool.
I registered on Cervélo's website, where I put the Serial number, I think the number following S / N? . Only one thing, when choosing for example " R5 frameset" does not appear in the image the 2017 model but of the previous one ( 2014 model, i think). Is it normal, right?

machadok1
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:30 pm

by machadok1

machadok1 wrote:I already tested the bike and it's very cool.
I registered on Cervélo's website, where I put the Serial number, I think the number following S / N? . Only one thing, when choosing for example " R5 frameset" does not appear in the image the 2017 model but of the previous one ( 2014 model, i think). Is it normal, right?

SOLVED!

machadok1
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:30 pm

by machadok1

Is it normal to be able to edit bike data such as serial number, model, etc. after being registered?
Did you receive an email confirming your bike registration?

by Weenie


machadok1
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:30 pm

by machadok1

Can anyone help?

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post