Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:58 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:13 pm 

Just ordered a Specialized Airnet, will report back on fit. I have a very oval shaped head so hopefully it fits. Coming from a Giro Synthe, light and cools fine for Texas heat, but was a bit too round for all day comfort. Had a low speed crash and hit the back of my head so replacing just in case. Previously had a Bell Volt that was a bit heavy by new standards but liked the fit. I had tried a top end Kask years ago (before Protone, not Mojito) and it was too round for me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:00 pm 

Currently I have a Giro Aeon for summer and a Lazer Z1 for winter. I have been a dedicated Bell/Giro user for 25 years, the Lazer was my first actual purchase of something different (had stints in Louis Garneau and Specialized that were team requirements back in the day). The Z1 was a good sale price, plus I like using the Aeroshell cover in the wet and cold winters I endure. The fit of the Z1 is also very nice and easy to adjust with the roller dial. Since my Aeon is almost ready for replacement, I am considering a Lazer Z1 MIPS.

In terms of crashes, the 3 worst crashes I've had for helmet damage were 1) 2004 race crash in Giro Pneumo, came down on sternum and front/top of head, helmet cracked in 4 places but no concussion. 2) 2006 race crash (same bloody race as 2004) in Giro Atmos, that was basically brand new. It was crushed at the temple area, I never lost consciousness and was able to ride away but had a moderate concussion. 3) really stupid training crash in 2011 in a Bell Volt, helmet was cracked in multiple spots but no concussion (grade 2 AC separation of shoulder).

In terms of replacement of an undamaged helmet, I generally adhere to about 3 seasons of use. No scientific UV damage reasoning here, usually by then I'm jonesning for something new anyway. One important thing to consider with helmet use is transport during travel. I've seen teammates' helmets broken just being packed into a car when they are in a gear bag with no protection. I have an old Giro pod from back when they used to include them in the purchase (maybe the Boreas era?) and I always use it when transporting my helmet. When I fly, my helmet never goes in the bike box, I generally pack it in my helmet pod and that is in a hardshell piece of checked luggage or in my carry-on. Mostly in the checked bag however, and I've never had issue.

My overall experiences with Bell/Giro have been fine, but so far I am impressed with the Lazer. I normally buy helmets late in season when there are good sale prices to be found.

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:00 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:22 pm 

Bigger Gear wrote:
When I fly, my helmet never goes in the bike box, I generally pack it in my helmet pod and that is in a hardshell piece of checked luggage or in my carry-on. Mostly in the checked bag however, and I've never had issue.

Do you only have a softshell box or would you apply that to a hard box like bike box alan style as well? I've shipped mine in the bike box alan wrapped in a towel and it has been OK so far. Just wondering if I have been lucky?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:37 pm 

Rudi wrote:
Bigger Gear wrote:
When I fly, my helmet never goes in the bike box, I generally pack it in my helmet pod and that is in a hardshell piece of checked luggage or in my carry-on. Mostly in the checked bag however, and I've never had issue.

Do you only have a softshell box or would you apply that to a hard box like bike box alan style as well? I've shipped mine in the bike box alan wrapped in a towel and it has been OK so far. Just wondering if I have been lucky?

I have a BikeBoxAlan as well. My main issue is when it gets opened for inspection, if they move anything or dig around in there and shift things about then the helmet could get damaged upon closure. Airport security staff are not always the most caring and careful :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:06 pm 

Just received a Kask Protone. Not ridden with it yet (just out of box).

Interestingly in the "Use and care booklet" under the "Life" section they recommend replacing every 3 years (and the guarantee is for 2). This could be good marketing from their part. Not sure what other manufactures say on their products.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:32 pm 

Whatever they say 3 years is too early.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:08 pm 

LG Course
I've been using it since it first came out (2 years? 3 years?), I love it. I keep thinking I may want to go with a lighter & still aero-mode helmet, but this one has quite a bit of class and style compared to other offerings I've been looking at.

I used to think that a helmet should be replaced every 2/3 years, but no longer: replace it if it breaks, no longer fits, you genuinely want to spend money on something new, or if you've crashed in it and it was used on impact.

Otherwise, keep it, save your money.

This industry – like most industries, but this one is especially bad – is built on the notion that the consumer *NEEDS* the latest and greatest whatever. This is simply not true. Marginal gains do exist, but essentially the bicycle is powered by you, a human being, and the actual improvements you will see will be 99.9% you and not your equipment.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:10 pm 

I use mine till I smash them into something, usually on my mountain bike. Otherwise I rotate them out when stuff like straps etc start to look worse for wear.

But with Giro for example they've sent me new RocLoc's before when those broke, I definitely expect to get several years out of a helmet if I don't crash in it.

I'm about to retire a Prolight, I've never been particularly impressed with the fit or the retention system but I was bound and determined to get my money's worth out of it. But I believe it is finally approaching the end of its days as my daily helmet, it'll go into semi retirement for use when others are drying etc.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:53 am 

Took the plunge & splurged on a new POC Octal MIPS.
WW justification it's 200g lighter than my POC Trabec.

Real reason... I wanted oneImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:49 pm 
Administrator

A little over two weeks ago I had a car pull out in front of me from a subdivision. They were ticketed. I was knocked out and woke in the hospital and stayed there two days. severe concussion, bleeding in two spot on my brain. My Smith Overtake saved me from worse head damage. I did replace it with a POC Octal MIPS. I can't get back on the bike for a few weeks but that is allowing me to get the parts damaged in the crash. 38mm carbon wheels needed to be trued. water bottle cages trashed. Helmet trashed. Jersey and arm warmers cut off by the paramedics. Helmet is toast. Her insurance company has been good.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:20 pm 

Glad to hear you are doing ok, doesn't sound like fun but better than the alternatives.

I just picked up the Octal MIPS myself. Found one on sale in the all white and thought I'd try it out. I have a huge head so all my hats and helmets look gigantic to me and this one is no different. But it does seem very well made with more attention to detail and overall better finishing than the helmets I've had in the past. I like the fit/comfort, ventilation and the light weight on my head.

If I don't get the helmet sat correctly on my head it can push on my glasses behind my ears but I think that is mostly a function of me not having it low enough over my eyes. But even when it does it is still comfortable and I'm pretty happy I picked it up.

Confident I look like an idiot in it but I probably did before.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:31 pm 

Juanmoretime wrote:
A little over two weeks ago I had a car pull out in front of me from a subdivision. They were ticketed. I was knocked out and woke in the hospital and stayed there two days. severe concussion, bleeding in two spot on my brain. My Smith Overtake saved me from worse head damage. I did replace it with a POC Octal MIPS. I can't get back on the bike for a few weeks but that is allowing me to get the parts damaged in the crash. 38mm carbon wheels needed to be tried. water bottle cages trashed. Helmet trashed. Jersey and arm warmers cut off by the paramedics. Helmet is toast. Her insurance company has been good.

Yikes. Glad to hear you are doing better. It's stories like these that make we question why anyone wouldn't wear a helmet. I still see a fair number of cyclist riding without a lid.

I had a similar accident years ago when I got doored passing a line of parked cars. My helmet saved my life.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:58 pm 

been wanting a white Protone for a while but might wait for the new Met Trenta :x

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:22 am 

Juanmoretime wrote:
A little over two weeks ago I had a car pull out in front of me from a subdivision. They were ticketed. I was knocked out and woke in the hospital and stayed there two days. severe concussion, bleeding in two spot on my brain. My Smith Overtake saved me from worse head damage. I did replace it with a POC Octal MIPS. I can't get back on the bike for a few weeks but that is allowing me to get the parts damaged in the crash. 38mm carbon wheels needed to be tried. water bottle cages trashed. Helmet trashed. Jersey and arm warmers cut off by the paramedics. Helmet is toast. Her insurance company has been good.

I'm glad you're doing well.

Your story reminds me that, as cyclists, we're vulnerable when on the road.

I like the purpose and focus of POC, they appear to be safety orientated.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:43 am 

Juanmoretime wrote:
I was knocked out and woke in the hospital and stayed there two days. severe concussion, bleeding in two spot on my brain.

Good Night buddy :unbelievable:

Glad to hear your doing ok now!
Take Care !

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:43 am 

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next