Which Model of Helmet Do You Wear and Why? How Frequently Do You Replace It?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
TonyM

by TonyM

Juanmoretime wrote:A little over two weeks ago I had a car pull out in front of me from a subdivision. They were ticketed. I was knocked out and woke in the hospital and stayed there two days. severe concussion, bleeding in two spot on my brain. My Smith Overtake saved me from worse head damage. I did replace it with a POC Octal MIPS. I can't get back on the bike for a few weeks but that is allowing me to get the parts damaged in the crash. 38mm carbon wheels needed to be tried. water bottle cages trashed. Helmet trashed. Jersey and arm warmers cut off by the paramedics. Helmet is toast. Her insurance company has been good.

WOW :shock: good to see that you are ok! :thumbup:
Yes in such cases you see what safety means. And we all had (or will have soon or later) some close calls with cars etc....WW is good - but safety is more important! :smartass:

beanbiken

by beanbiken

TonyM wrote:
Juanmoretime wrote:A little over two weeks ago I had a car pull out in front of me from a subdivision. They were ticketed. I was knocked out and woke in the hospital and stayed there two days. severe concussion, bleeding in two spot on my brain. My Smith Overtake saved me from worse head damage. I did replace it with a POC Octal MIPS. I can't get back on the bike for a few weeks but that is allowing me to get the parts damaged in the crash. 38mm carbon wheels needed to be tried. water bottle cages trashed. Helmet trashed. Jersey and arm warmers cut off by the paramedics. Helmet is toast. Her insurance company has been good.

WOW :shock: good to see that you are ok! :thumbup:

Ditto......... when car and cyclist try to occupy same space at same time no winners but only one loser........... recover quickly

BB
Ahhh, coffee & carbon

by Weenie

froze

by froze

I just use whatever brand I can get on the biggest discount. My current helmet is a 7 year old Lazer that retailed for $120 that I paid $45 for on a closeout; so I'm not brand specific when it comes to buying helmet.

TonyM

by TonyM

froze wrote:I just use whatever brand I can get on the biggest discount. My current helmet is a 7 year old Lazer that retailed for $120 that I paid $45 for on a closeout; so I'm not brand specific when it comes to buying helmet.

As long as it is the biggest discount is in terms of $ (i.e. from $120 to $45) and not in terms of % (i.e. from $20 to $1) you should be fine as these helmets should be of good quality.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

After a few months, I'm very happy with my Bell Z20. It's airy, looks good and has no pressure points on my head. The straps lay completely flat and that little extension of the brow pad in front really does keep sweat off sunglasses. The only issue I have is that there's no good way to store sunglasses when you're riding fast on a windy day. The front vents don't fit any sunglasses and the rear vents are not secure enough for anything other than lower speeds like climbing or urban riding.

MXGimp

by MXGimp

Riding in a Specialized Airnet. I will replace a helmet any time I crash in it or it hits the ground hard.