Which Model of Helmet Do You Wear and Why? How Frequently Do You Replace It?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

peted76

by peted76

Specialized Evade over here, I nearly swapped for a Protone the other day but found that the kask didn't fit my oval shaped swede very well.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Evade... I've had 3 of them since they came out..
First was white
Then I saw SBCU version in black .. had to have it. Developed a huge bubble on the lid.. my friends at mikes talked to spec and let me swap it for whatever the had in stock. Ended up with black purple one which is still NIB
I guess I have had 4.. because I'm currently using the UCI WC striped pearl white version... which I'd gladly off if I could get Peters Sagans current lid color.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hanakuso1

by hanakuso1

c50jim wrote:I've had a couple of really bad crashes (1988 and 2010) and Giros worked for me both times. They've also worked on smaller crashes over the years so I stick with the brand. Currently using Aeon which fits me well.

A couple of comments:

- fit is probably as important as brand. I agree with those who suggest using a knowledgeable LBS to assist you.

- if you drop it, particularly if your head is in it, replace it. It may not look damaged but its integrity may have been affected.

- helmet age doesn't matter. It's abuse that counts. I know one of the authors of this study. They tested a lot of helmets of different designs, brands and ages and found that old helmets can still be OK. I think the periodic replacement recommendations are (1) marketing and (2) to account for the fact that we don't always take good care of our helmets and bash them around without thinking about the damage we're doing. What happened to your helmet when it was in your suitcase that the airline threw into the plane?
http://biomechanical.asmedigitalcollect ... ID=2497744

Do you or anyone else use a case while it's not in use? I keep mine in a bag, but I want something more protective. I see that Specialized sells a case, but it's $45.

mbdurham17

by mbdurham17

Currently have a Giro Synthe MIPS and a POC Octal AVIP MIPS. I prefer the POC for cooling and safety factor

Vermu

by Vermu

So far replaced helmets only due crashing. Used to have ionos, moved to synthe and now on protone.
Love the fit, synthe was really good, but kask better. The tiny bits make kask feel a bit more premium.
Leatherstrap, feels good and more importantly - can be undone and it stays out of your way. Besides in eu kask is cheper

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wookski

by Wookski

Giro synthe MIPS, regardless of the brand or model I highly recommend MIPS as the inner material typically fails within 12 months resulting in a warranty replacement. 2 replacements so far!

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

hanakuso1 wrote:
atakaoka wrote:Basicaly I use helmet for maximum of 5 years from manufacture usualy ended up changing in 2~3 years.
I just change my whent from a B'twin Sport 900 to a SPZ Propero 3 asia. It was the only one that fit great. Never been a fan of the SPZ, but didn't find any other that fit so well.

I really wish they sold the Specialized Prevail 2 in Asian fit here in the US. I could always buy it overseas, but I fear that if I get into a huge accident or killed where lawyers/courts are involved. Buying a safety item that wasn't sold in the USA would be bad in my case.
Ask if you store is able to special order it. If they have a good rep it should be possible with a wait.
Using Tapatalk

moonoi

by moonoi

Just picked up an Ekoi Corsa Light to replace my Kask Protone that I dropped.

Have to say I'm very impressed with the fit, it's just as comfortable as the Protone, but just a third of the cost. Obviously the build quality isn't the same, but given the price difference I'm more than satisfied

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rudi

by Rudi

This thread did get me thinking about when I bought the helmets that I use most, and I realised they are from 2010/11 (Giro Atmos). I'm now seriously considering a new lid as close inspection makes me think that they might not be in the best shape.

I'm seeing quite a lot of love for the Protone on various threads here. I quite like the look of the Smith Overtake, but some reviews seem to say it can get quite hot. I also haven't ever seen one on the road in the UK but wonder if that is a styling love/hate kind of thing.

I'd like to try the Scott Cadence but I think it would look huge on me.

My Wife is using a Catlike Mixino and likes that, but it is new last year so probably not needing replaced.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

hanakuso1 wrote:Do you or anyone else use a case while it's not in use? I keep mine in a bag, but I want something more protective. I see that Specialized sells a case, but it's $45.

so a helmet for a helmet...is the case aero?

Rudi

by Rudi

Had just about settled on the Kask. Might have to do another round of browsing based on this /\

I'm in Chicago every few months at the moment, including July just passed, so I am familiar with that Midwest heat and humidity. I'm not going to be using it in much worse than that I imagine, and generally in less humid conditions.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

racingcondor

by racingcondor

Always based on fit. Specialized Prevail then Bontrager Ballista.

The first Ballista I had was destroyed in a crash (along with my collarbone) but did a damn good job of protecting my head. That was replaced for free under Bontragers very generous crash replacement policy so I'm happy.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Currently use a Met Rivale (black and orange) and a Met Mantra (matte black), both a year old.

Both awesome but Mantra is making way for a matte blue Kask Protone.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

elzilcho

by elzilcho

Just ordered a Specialized Airnet, will report back on fit. I have a very oval shaped head so hopefully it fits. Coming from a Giro Synthe, light and cools fine for Texas heat, but was a bit too round for all day comfort. Had a low speed crash and hit the back of my head so replacing just in case. Previously had a Bell Volt that was a bit heavy by new standards but liked the fit. I had tried a top end Kask years ago (before Protone, not Mojito) and it was too round for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Currently I have a Giro Aeon for summer and a Lazer Z1 for winter. I have been a dedicated Bell/Giro user for 25 years, the Lazer was my first actual purchase of something different (had stints in Louis Garneau and Specialized that were team requirements back in the day). The Z1 was a good sale price, plus I like using the Aeroshell cover in the wet and cold winters I endure. The fit of the Z1 is also very nice and easy to adjust with the roller dial. Since my Aeon is almost ready for replacement, I am considering a Lazer Z1 MIPS.

In terms of crashes, the 3 worst crashes I've had for helmet damage were 1) 2004 race crash in Giro Pneumo, came down on sternum and front/top of head, helmet cracked in 4 places but no concussion. 2) 2006 race crash (same bloody race as 2004) in Giro Atmos, that was basically brand new. It was crushed at the temple area, I never lost consciousness and was able to ride away but had a moderate concussion. 3) really stupid training crash in 2011 in a Bell Volt, helmet was cracked in multiple spots but no concussion (grade 2 AC separation of shoulder).

In terms of replacement of an undamaged helmet, I generally adhere to about 3 seasons of use. No scientific UV damage reasoning here, usually by then I'm jonesning for something new anyway. One important thing to consider with helmet use is transport during travel. I've seen teammates' helmets broken just being packed into a car when they are in a gear bag with no protection. I have an old Giro pod from back when they used to include them in the purchase (maybe the Boreas era?) and I always use it when transporting my helmet. When I fly, my helmet never goes in the bike box, I generally pack it in my helmet pod and that is in a hardshell piece of checked luggage or in my carry-on. Mostly in the checked bag however, and I've never had issue.

My overall experiences with Bell/Giro have been fine, but so far I am impressed with the Lazer. I normally buy helmets late in season when there are good sale prices to be found.