Which Model of Helmet Do You Wear and Why? How Frequently Do You Replace It?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Asteroid

by Asteroid

The Giro Ionos fits my huge noggin nicely. Nice adjustability, even on the fly. The style agrees with me, too.
Found a 2nd one on sale at Performance for $100 and tucked it away in my closet.
I hear all helmets tend to degrade slightly over time, but mostly as a result of the sun and heat.
Coming up on three years now, so it's about time to swap it out.
Oldbie

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gzon

by gzon

I have a Kask Protone for 2 years now. It is the best helmet I have ever had. Comfortable and reasonably well ventilated as well as somewhat aero. The leather strap adds comfort and durability. It replaced an S-Works Evade that I did not like due to poor ventilation, sold it. I also have an older Limar Ultralight, also good but not even close to the Kask in fit and finish. Persnoally I never liked the look of the Limar. Fabio Aru has one now in the TdF and does not look good. the design feels thouroghly outdated by now.

I usually replace helmets every 2 years as the liner and the straps tend to get funky but the Kask Protone has held up remarkably well.

hanakuso1

by hanakuso1

ico wrote:After two models of Specialized Prevail S-Works, two top-end Giro helmet I've bought POC Octal. I sweat a lot and always fighting with excesive sweat in my eyes. POC Octal is the firts helmet that stopped it. I can't say if it is due their retention system or venting..but it works.

Try the Halo band. No more sweat in my eyes.

I originally bought a $40 Specialized helmet and then upgraded to the S-Works Prevail 2. I think the $40 helmet fits slightly better but the Prevail 2 has much more air running through it to keep my head cool. I probably wouldn't have bought the Prevail 2 if I bought the Halo band first tho.

naambezet

by naambezet

I'm using the Met Manta as my primary helmet, love that thing. But I'm also have a Kask Mojito for climbing, it was my primary helmet before I got the Met. I don't like the retention system, my Oakleys get in the way with them and the chinstrap is kinda annoying

TonyM

by TonyM

I always had Giro and like them. Now I switched to the Synthe Mips for safety reasons. One in white for the summer/ dry days and another one in flash yellow for the winter/ rainy days. I usually buy new ones every 3 years (also due to the marketing of the manufacturers).

jorryt

by jorryt

I had a Specialized Echelon for 2 years. Felt good en great ventilation but it was heavy.

Now for about a month I have the MET Manta. Great helmet! It's really aero and it is damn light. And the ventilation is good enough for me. Since I live in the flat Netherlands I haven't tested it climbing but I think ventilation will be all right.

Bought it for 125 Euros so it isn't to expensive.

Timmy269

by Timmy269

Somebody an idea when they upgrade the Sworks Evade helmet?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I just crashed in my Lazer Z1 3 months ago and it prevented a concussion at the very least... I like the helmet a lot for it's temporal protection and smooth fit adjustment dial on the top of the helmet instead of the back.

I've begun trailing a Bell Z20 (formerly Zephyr) with its integral MIPS liner. It feels almost exactly like a Giro Synthe on my head.

atakaoka

by atakaoka

Basicaly I use helmet for maximum of 5 years from manufacture usualy ended up changing in 2~3 years.
I just change my whent from a B'twin Sport 900 to a SPZ Propero 3 asia. It was the only one that fit great. Never been a fan of the SPZ, but didn't find any other that fit so well.
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

hanakuso1

by hanakuso1

atakaoka wrote:Basicaly I use helmet for maximum of 5 years from manufacture usualy ended up changing in 2~3 years.
I just change my whent from a B'twin Sport 900 to a SPZ Propero 3 asia. It was the only one that fit great. Never been a fan of the SPZ, but didn't find any other that fit so well.

I really wish they sold the Specialized Prevail 2 in Asian fit here in the US. I could always buy it overseas, but I fear that if I get into a huge accident or killed where lawyers/courts are involved. Buying a safety item that wasn't sold in the USA would be bad in my case.

ntb1001

by ntb1001

I've had my lazer for past couple of years. I wash them regularly and keep my helmets a long time.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Torchy

by Torchy

Bell Zephyr MIPS for me - works a treat as it's light and fluoro

Marin

by Marin

Replaced a Giro Foray because it was cracked. Fell on it once, but I fear the crack was from stuffing it between car seats.

Now I have an awesome Rh+ zAlpha. Planning to replace it only if it gets damaged.

Rbishop

by Rbishop

Scott Cadence Plus. An aero road helmet, but its very comfortable and the ventilation is the best!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c50jim

by c50jim

I've had a couple of really bad crashes (1988 and 2010) and Giros worked for me both times. They've also worked on smaller crashes over the years so I stick with the brand. Currently using Aeon which fits me well.

A couple of comments:

- fit is probably as important as brand. I agree with those who suggest using a knowledgeable LBS to assist you.

- if you drop it, particularly if your head is in it, replace it. It may not look damaged but its integrity may have been affected.

- helmet age doesn't matter. It's abuse that counts. I know one of the authors of this study. They tested a lot of helmets of different designs, brands and ages and found that old helmets can still be OK. I think the periodic replacement recommendations are (1) marketing and (2) to account for the fact that we don't always take good care of our helmets and bash them around without thinking about the damage we're doing. What happened to your helmet when it was in your suitcase that the airline threw into the plane?
http://biomechanical.asmedigitalcollect ... ID=2497744