Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:11 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:10 pm 

I've had a couple of really bad crashes (1988 and 2010) and Giros worked for me both times. They've also worked on smaller crashes over the years so I stick with the brand. Currently using Aeon which fits me well.

A couple of comments:

- fit is probably as important as brand. I agree with those who suggest using a knowledgeable LBS to assist you.

- if you drop it, particularly if your head is in it, replace it. It may not look damaged but its integrity may have been affected.

- helmet age doesn't matter. It's abuse that counts. I know one of the authors of this study. They tested a lot of helmets of different designs, brands and ages and found that old helmets can still be OK. I think the periodic replacement recommendations are (1) marketing and (2) to account for the fact that we don't always take good care of our helmets and bash them around without thinking about the damage we're doing. What happened to your helmet when it was in your suitcase that the airline threw into the plane?
http://biomechanical.asmedigitalcollect ... ID=2497744

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:32 pm 

Specialized Evade over here, I nearly swapped for a Protone the other day but found that the kask didn't fit my oval shaped swede very well.

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:32 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:28 pm 

Evade... I've had 3 of them since they came out..
First was white
Then I saw SBCU version in black .. had to have it. Developed a huge bubble on the lid.. my friends at mikes talked to spec and let me swap it for whatever the had in stock. Ended up with black purple one which is still NIB
I guess I have had 4.. because I'm currently using the UCI WC striped pearl white version... which I'd gladly off if I could get Peters Sagans current lid color.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:19 pm 

c50jim wrote:
I've had a couple of really bad crashes (1988 and 2010) and Giros worked for me both times. They've also worked on smaller crashes over the years so I stick with the brand. Currently using Aeon which fits me well.

A couple of comments:

- fit is probably as important as brand. I agree with those who suggest using a knowledgeable LBS to assist you.

- if you drop it, particularly if your head is in it, replace it. It may not look damaged but its integrity may have been affected.

- helmet age doesn't matter. It's abuse that counts. I know one of the authors of this study. They tested a lot of helmets of different designs, brands and ages and found that old helmets can still be OK. I think the periodic replacement recommendations are (1) marketing and (2) to account for the fact that we don't always take good care of our helmets and bash them around without thinking about the damage we're doing. What happened to your helmet when it was in your suitcase that the airline threw into the plane?
http://biomechanical.asmedigitalcollect ... ID=2497744

Do you or anyone else use a case while it's not in use? I keep mine in a bag, but I want something more protective. I see that Specialized sells a case, but it's $45.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:56 pm 

Currently have a Giro Synthe MIPS and a POC Octal AVIP MIPS. I prefer the POC for cooling and safety factor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:55 pm 

So far replaced helmets only due crashing. Used to have ionos, moved to synthe and now on protone.
Love the fit, synthe was really good, but kask better. The tiny bits make kask feel a bit more premium.
Leatherstrap, feels good and more importantly - can be undone and it stays out of your way. Besides in eu kask is cheper

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:25 am 

Giro synthe MIPS, regardless of the brand or model I highly recommend MIPS as the inner material typically fails within 12 months resulting in a warranty replacement. 2 replacements so far!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:09 pm 

hanakuso1 wrote:
atakaoka wrote:
Basicaly I use helmet for maximum of 5 years from manufacture usualy ended up changing in 2~3 years.
I just change my whent from a B'twin Sport 900 to a SPZ Propero 3 asia. It was the only one that fit great. Never been a fan of the SPZ, but didn't find any other that fit so well.

I really wish they sold the Specialized Prevail 2 in Asian fit here in the US. I could always buy it overseas, but I fear that if I get into a huge accident or killed where lawyers/courts are involved. Buying a safety item that wasn't sold in the USA would be bad in my case.
Ask if you store is able to special order it. If they have a good rep it should be possible with a wait.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:15 pm 

Just picked up an Ekoi Corsa Light to replace my Kask Protone that I dropped.

Have to say I'm very impressed with the fit, it's just as comfortable as the Protone, but just a third of the cost. Obviously the build quality isn't the same, but given the price difference I'm more than satisfied

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:37 pm 

This thread did get me thinking about when I bought the helmets that I use most, and I realised they are from 2010/11 (Giro Atmos). I'm now seriously considering a new lid as close inspection makes me think that they might not be in the best shape.

I'm seeing quite a lot of love for the Protone on various threads here. I quite like the look of the Smith Overtake, but some reviews seem to say it can get quite hot. I also haven't ever seen one on the road in the UK but wonder if that is a styling love/hate kind of thing.

I'd like to try the Scott Cadence but I think it would look huge on me.

My Wife is using a Catlike Mixino and likes that, but it is new last year so probably not needing replaced.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:48 pm 

hanakuso1 wrote:
Do you or anyone else use a case while it's not in use? I keep mine in a bag, but I want something more protective. I see that Specialized sells a case, but it's $45.

so a helmet for a helmet...is the case aero?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:54 am 
Administrator

Rudi wrote:
This thread did get me thinking about when I bought the helmets that I use most, and I realised they are from 2010/11 (Giro Atmos). I'm now seriously considering a new lid as close inspection makes me think that they might not be in the best shape.

I'm seeing quite a lot of love for the Protone on various threads here. I quite like the look of the Smith Overtake, but some reviews seem to say it can get quite hot. I also haven't ever seen one on the road in the UK but wonder if that is a styling love/hate kind of thing.

I'd like to try the Scott Cadence but I think it would look huge on me.

My Wife is using a Catlike Mixino and likes that, but it is new last year so probably not needing replaced.

I'm riding the Smith Overtake in the very humid and hot Midwest US. I find it very comfortable and not hot at all. I like it much better the the poorly made Synthe it replaced.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:19 pm 

Had just about settled on the Kask. Might have to do another round of browsing based on this /\

I'm in Chicago every few months at the moment, including July just passed, so I am familiar with that Midwest heat and humidity. I'm not going to be using it in much worse than that I imagine, and generally in less humid conditions.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:38 pm 

Always based on fit. Specialized Prevail then Bontrager Ballista.

The first Ballista I had was destroyed in a crash (along with my collarbone) but did a damn good job of protecting my head. That was replaced for free under Bontragers very generous crash replacement policy so I'm happy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:18 pm 

Currently use a Met Rivale (black and orange) and a Met Mantra (matte black), both a year old.

Both awesome but Mantra is making way for a matte blue Kask Protone.

'17 Cervelo R3D DA - 7580g - Sold
'16 Cannondale CAAD12 DA Disc - 7560g - RIP

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:18 pm 

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next