Which Model of Helmet Do You Wear and Why? How Frequently Do You Replace It?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Rudi

by Rudi

Bigger Gear wrote: When I fly, my helmet never goes in the bike box, I generally pack it in my helmet pod and that is in a hardshell piece of checked luggage or in my carry-on. Mostly in the checked bag however, and I've never had issue.

Do you only have a softshell box or would you apply that to a hard box like bike box alan style as well? I've shipped mine in the bike box alan wrapped in a towel and it has been OK so far. Just wondering if I have been lucky?
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Rudi wrote:
Bigger Gear wrote: When I fly, my helmet never goes in the bike box, I generally pack it in my helmet pod and that is in a hardshell piece of checked luggage or in my carry-on. Mostly in the checked bag however, and I've never had issue.

Do you only have a softshell box or would you apply that to a hard box like bike box alan style as well? I've shipped mine in the bike box alan wrapped in a towel and it has been OK so far. Just wondering if I have been lucky?

I have a BikeBoxAlan as well. My main issue is when it gets opened for inspection, if they move anything or dig around in there and shift things about then the helmet could get damaged upon closure. Airport security staff are not always the most caring and careful :lol:

Rudi

by Rudi

Just received a Kask Protone. Not ridden with it yet (just out of box).

Interestingly in the "Use and care booklet" under the "Life" section they recommend replacing every 3 years (and the guarantee is for 2). This could be good marketing from their part. Not sure what other manufactures say on their products.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

kgt

by kgt

Whatever they say 3 years is too early.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

LG Course
I've been using it since it first came out (2 years? 3 years?), I love it. I keep thinking I may want to go with a lighter & still aero-mode helmet, but this one has quite a bit of class and style compared to other offerings I've been looking at.

I used to think that a helmet should be replaced every 2/3 years, but no longer: replace it if it breaks, no longer fits, you genuinely want to spend money on something new, or if you've crashed in it and it was used on impact.

Otherwise, keep it, save your money.

This industry – like most industries, but this one is especially bad – is built on the notion that the consumer *NEEDS* the latest and greatest whatever. This is simply not true. Marginal gains do exist, but essentially the bicycle is powered by you, a human being, and the actual improvements you will see will be 99.9% you and not your equipment.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

kytyree

by kytyree

I use mine till I smash them into something, usually on my mountain bike. Otherwise I rotate them out when stuff like straps etc start to look worse for wear.

But with Giro for example they've sent me new RocLoc's before when those broke, I definitely expect to get several years out of a helmet if I don't crash in it.

I'm about to retire a Prolight, I've never been particularly impressed with the fit or the retention system but I was bound and determined to get my money's worth out of it. But I believe it is finally approaching the end of its days as my daily helmet, it'll go into semi retirement for use when others are drying etc.

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

Took the plunge & splurged on a new POC Octal MIPS.
WW justification it's 200g lighter than my POC Trabec.

Real reason... I wanted oneImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

kytyree

by kytyree

Glad to hear you are doing ok, doesn't sound like fun but better than the alternatives.

I just picked up the Octal MIPS myself. Found one on sale in the all white and thought I'd try it out. I have a huge head so all my hats and helmets look gigantic to me and this one is no different. But it does seem very well made with more attention to detail and overall better finishing than the helmets I've had in the past. I like the fit/comfort, ventilation and the light weight on my head.

If I don't get the helmet sat correctly on my head it can push on my glasses behind my ears but I think that is mostly a function of me not having it low enough over my eyes. But even when it does it is still comfortable and I'm pretty happy I picked it up.

Confident I look like an idiot in it but I probably did before.

Lookryder

by Lookryder

Juanmoretime wrote:A little over two weeks ago I had a car pull out in front of me from a subdivision. They were ticketed. I was knocked out and woke in the hospital and stayed there two days. severe concussion, bleeding in two spot on my brain. My Smith Overtake saved me from worse head damage. I did replace it with a POC Octal MIPS. I can't get back on the bike for a few weeks but that is allowing me to get the parts damaged in the crash. 38mm carbon wheels needed to be tried. water bottle cages trashed. Helmet trashed. Jersey and arm warmers cut off by the paramedics. Helmet is toast. Her insurance company has been good.

Yikes. Glad to hear you are doing better. It's stories like these that make we question why anyone wouldn't wear a helmet. I still see a fair number of cyclist riding without a lid.

I had a similar accident years ago when I got doored passing a line of parked cars. My helmet saved my life.

bilwit

by bilwit

been wanting a white Protone for a while but might wait for the new Met Trenta :x

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

Juanmoretime wrote:A little over two weeks ago I had a car pull out in front of me from a subdivision. They were ticketed. I was knocked out and woke in the hospital and stayed there two days. severe concussion, bleeding in two spot on my brain. My Smith Overtake saved me from worse head damage. I did replace it with a POC Octal MIPS. I can't get back on the bike for a few weeks but that is allowing me to get the parts damaged in the crash. 38mm carbon wheels needed to be tried. water bottle cages trashed. Helmet trashed. Jersey and arm warmers cut off by the paramedics. Helmet is toast. Her insurance company has been good.

I'm glad you're doing well.

Your story reminds me that, as cyclists, we're vulnerable when on the road.

I like the purpose and focus of POC, they appear to be safety orientated.
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

flying

by flying

Juanmoretime wrote: I was knocked out and woke in the hospital and stayed there two days. severe concussion, bleeding in two spot on my brain.

Good Night buddy :unbelievable:

Glad to hear your doing ok now!
Take Care !

TonyM

by TonyM

WOW :shock: good to see that you are ok! :thumbup:
Yes in such cases you see what safety means. And we all had (or will have soon or later) some close calls with cars etc....WW is good - but safety is more important! :smartass:

beanbiken

by beanbiken

TonyM wrote:

WOW :shock: good to see that you are ok! :thumbup:

Ditto......... when car and cyclist try to occupy same space at same time no winners but only one loser........... recover quickly

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

froze

by froze

I just use whatever brand I can get on the biggest discount. My current helmet is a 7 year old Lazer that retailed for $120 that I paid $45 for on a closeout; so I'm not brand specific when it comes to buying helmet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com