Questions on Campagnolo EPS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mlok

by mlok

Hi,

After having ridden on Campy V3 EPS for a while now, I do notice something which I am not sure if it is a features for EPS.

I realised that if my rear mech is in one of the 1st 3 smallest cogs and when i try to shift my front from the small chainring to the larger , there seems to be a 2 step movement. Meaning the front derailleur first move close to the chain before pushing it to the larger chainring. And this happen when your rear mech is in one of the 1st 3 smallest cogs.

Not sure if any EPS user here notice the same?

Hope to keep this channel answering EPS related questions for everyone. :welcome:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

mlok wrote:Hi,

After having ridden on Campy V3 EPS for a while now, I do notice something which I am not sure if it is a features for EPS.

I realised that if my rear mech is in one of the 1st 3 smallest cogs and when i try to shift my front from the small chainring to the larger , there seems to be a 2 step movement. Meaning the front derailleur first move close to the chain before pushing it to the larger chainring. And this happen when your rear mech is in one of the 1st 3 smallest cogs.

Hope to keep this channel answering EPS related questions for everyone. :welcome:

It's a good thought ... but wherever possible, it's better that people visit their Campagnolo ProShop, to be honest ... the ProShops should be right up to date with the latest information from the factory and whilst I do answer questions here, as do some of my colleagues from other parts of Campagnolo or from ProShops, it's always strongly preferable to have the bike available - it's very hard be a "remote bike mechanic" ... 9 times out of 10, it's easier to see the problem than to respond to a query on a forum.

In your case, if the bike has been in one of those three sprockets for some time, do you still get the two-step movement, or does this only occur shortly after you have shifted from sprocket 7 to sprocket 8 (counting the smallest as "sprocket 1" and the biggest as "sprocket 11") - so making arear shift and a front shift in quick succession?

Does the system do it in all shift settings, or only when set up in "Race", so the straight out of the box set-up?

Does the system do it if you put the system into Shift Assist?

Does the system do it in all Shift modes Hard, Medium and Soft?
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

spookyload

by spookyload

That is called shift assist. It is one of the modes you can adjust with my campy app. You can turn it off, or have it make 2 or 3 gear changes. It is meant to help you get back to the same cadence you were at before you went from big ring to small or vice versa. If it bothers you, simply disable shift assist.

spookyload

by spookyload

graeme_f_k wrote:
mlok wrote:Hi,

It's a good thought ... but wherever possible, it's better that people visit their Campagnolo ProShop, to be honest ... the ProShops should be right up to date with the latest information from the factory and whilst I do answer questions here, as do some of my colleagues from other parts of Campagnolo or from ProShops, it's always strongly preferable to have the bike available - it's very hard be a "remote bike mechanic" ... 9 times out of 10, it's easier to see the problem than to respond to a query on a forum.

In your case, if the bike has been in one of those three sprockets for some time, do you still get the two-step movement, or does this only occur shortly after you have shifted from sprocket 7 to sprocket 8 (counting the smallest as "sprocket 1" and the biggest as "sprocket 11") - so making arear shift and a front shift in quick succession?

Does the system do it in all shift settings, or only when set up in "Race", so the straight out of the box set-up?

Does the system do it if you put the system into Shift Assist?

Does the system do it in all Shift modes Hard, Medium and Soft?

I went to a ProShop last week to have a 11-speed chain installed. He clearly had zero idea of actual installation because he had taken the pins that hold the chain in place off, tried to press the pin in from right to left, then wanted to argue with me about there being no need to peen the pin after it is put in. Needless to say, by campy chain tool came in the mail today. I have one ProShop in a town of nearly 400,000 people. No time to mess around with shoddy work like that.

avispa

by avispa

spookyload wrote:I went to a ProShop last week to have a 11-speed chain installed. He clearly had zero idea of actual installation because he had taken the pins that hold the chain in place off, tried to press the pin in from right to left, then wanted to argue with me about there being no need to peen the pin after it is put in. Needless to say, by campy chain tool came in the mail today. I have one ProShop in a town of nearly 400,000 people. No time to mess around with shoddy work like that.

Wow! You should call Campy and tell them about your experience. That is not the behavior of ANY Pro Shop! Besides, remember the fact that because a shop has the Campy ProShop designation, it does not mean that every mechanic is certified on Campy. I heard a story of a guy that brought a Campy 11 speed chain from a local shop. The shop threw away the chain box with the Campy pin, just to install a SRAM pin on the chain! The owner of the bike almost had an accident when the chain snapped...

If you have only one pro shop in a town of 400K, I'd try to learn to do things yourself, I have had to. It's very rewarding and nice to know you know everything about your bike!

..A..

spookyload

by spookyload

I absolutely do things myself normally, but the Campy 11 chain tool is a big pill to swallow. I own one now, and it is known around town to come to me if you need a campy chain tool to use.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Huh, so Campy chains aren't compatible with quick links? Strange cuz every other brand chain is compatible with every other brand quick link.

joejack951

by joejack951

Lelandjt wrote:Huh, so Campy chains aren't compatible with quick links? Strange cuz every other brand chain is compatible with every other brand quick link.

Even if they aren't 'officially' compatible, I'm running a SRAM quick link on my Chorus 11 speed chain with no issues.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Okay, that's what I thought. The idea that a quick link explodes when installed on a Campy chain sounded fishy.

tabmaster

by tabmaster

I've been using campag chains with KMC quick links since they have been on the market with zero issues. I was sceptical at first (it's a SRAM idea for starters), but my worries were unfounded.
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

avispa

by avispa

Lelandjt wrote:Huh, so Campy chains aren't compatible with quick links? Strange cuz every other brand chain is compatible with every other brand quick link.

At one point I used an IRD quick-link and my chain started skipping, so I stopped using quick links. I really do not have the need to be removing my chain, unless I absolutely have to.

avispa

by avispa

Lelandjt wrote:Okay, that's what I thought. The idea that a quick link explodes when installed on a Campy chain sounded fishy.

Brother! Don't you know that we Campy riders generate so much power that even a Froome on a motor equipped bike, will look like he is on flat tyres if he is riding with us! :unbelievable:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

avispa

by avispa

spookyload wrote:I absolutely do things myself normally, but the Campy 11 chain tool is a big pill to swallow. I own one now, and it is known around town to come to me if you need a campy chain tool to use.

You and I should go into business and put that other Campy Pro Shop out of business! I am also one of the Campy go-to guys here as well. LOL :up: