S works evade / Oakley shades compatibility problems

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

Hi guys

Anyone have problems with the ends of their sunglasses arms clashing with the evade helmet? Bit annoying really. Specifically I've tried jawbones and radarlocks and they clash for me. I'm tempted to take 5mm + off the arm ends but I'm weary this will stop them staying on my head so well.

Ghost234

by Ghost234

I don't have any problems with my Radarlocks and Evade. However, I did have a bit of a problem with a POC octal. I used a hot spoon to push some of the material and give me a few mm on the side. I doubt the manufacturer would approve of this technique however.

The Kask protone seems especially bad with working with various glasses.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

Thou should never mix & match...

...and buy Specialized sunglasses for as long as Oakley doesn't make helmets :lol:

evan326

by evan326

My half jackets fit fine

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

Ghost234 wrote:I don't have any problems with my Radarlocks and Evade. However, I did have a bit of a problem with a POC octal. I used a hot spoon to push some of the material and give me a few mm on the side. I doubt the manufacturer would approve of this technique however.

The Kask protone seems especially bad with working with various glasses.

Thanks I might give the hot spoon technique a try.

I'm kind of on the line of medium and large with regards helmets (585mm). So it's either adjuster as open as possible virtually in a medium, or the extreme opposite in a large. So I generally go medium but maybe this means the helmet is closer than some other people's directly behind my ear.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

So frustrating! I wear a Catlike Whisper helmet. Despite at least 147 vent holes in that helmet, it's largely mission impossible to securely slide my beloved Salice 006 sunglasses into it. It's either too loose, too tight, not even, etc.

Good luck to the OP!

Greatestalltime

by Greatestalltime

Defacing Oakleys is a crime or a sin. Or both.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Gazelleer wrote:Thou should never mix & match...

...and buy Specialized sunglasses for as long as Oakley doesn't make helmets :lol:

Specialized hasn't made sunglasses in quite some time, at least 4 years. If you have a way to get some, let me know because they're sought after.

I regularly rock the Evade w/ Oakley Jawbreakers with no issues. The helmet is a medium.

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Gazelleer wrote:Thou should never mix & match...

Specialized hasn't made sunglasses in quite some time, at least 4 years. If you have a way to get some, let me know because they're sought after.

I regularly rock the Evade w/ Oakley Jawbreakers with no issues. The helmet is a medium.

Hi Rich

My evade sits higher on my head than yours do. Probably more similar to the guy behind you in your photo. I think your glasses fit nicely between head and helmet but in my case there's no space there.
Maybe if I got the large helmet I'd have a similar space but I like the fit of the medium barring this issue.

I think this definitely fits into the category of '1st world problems'! When my daughter stops jumping on my head this morning, I'm going to try and alter the helmet slightly. For what it's worth in general I'm very happy with the look and comfort of the helmet.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

TurboTommy wrote:
Hi Rich

My evade sits higher on my head than yours do. Probably more similar to the guy behind you in your photo. I think your glasses fit nicely between head and helmet but in my case there's no space there.
Maybe if I got the large helmet I'd have a similar space but I like the fit of the medium barring this issue.

I think this definitely fits into the category of '1st world problems'! When my daughter stops jumping on my head this morning, I'm going to try and alter the helmet slightly. For what it's worth in general I'm very happy with the look and comfort of the helmet.

I'm wearing a medium in both photos... the guy in pic 2 is actually a good buddy of mine and he's wearing a small in that pic. Incidentally, my team is getting some new helmets and he's getting a red/black like mine, in M.

You realize you can adjust the height and how it sits on your head, right? There is the adjustment knob on the back to tighten/loosen, but there's also sliders inside the helmet that adjusts how high the helmet sits. Have you experimented with those?

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

No issues with my Evade and Jawbreakers here either. Actually one of the only helmet/glasses combos that works for me.

FWIW, the Evade has a lot of internal adjustment so you should be able to change where it sits on your head if that's the issue. The internal 'cage' can be adjusted to make it sit higher or lower.
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp

evan326

by evan326

I have never been able to figure the height adjustment out. Mine was very stiff and I was afraid to break it. I couldn't find anything online.

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

evan326 wrote:I have never been able to figure the height adjustment out. Mine was very stiff and I was afraid to break it. I couldn't find anything online.

If you look at the internal cage, and inside the helmet, the 'cage' slides in and out. It's marked 1-5, with a little 'notch' on the plastic cage to show what position it's in.

It's designed to move, but not easily!
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp

evan326

by evan326

They should just slide in and out right? Forward and backward if you will?

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

evan326 wrote:They should just slide in and out right? Forward and backward if you will?

yup... but there is a little snap, so that it stays in place when you set it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com