Industry 9 Torch Hub

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JBeauBikes2

by JBeauBikes2

I'm about to buy or build up a set of Enve 4.5s, I'm considering the I9 Torch road hub.

Anybody have experience with these on their road wheels? They seem popular for MTB, but I haven't seen any threads about their use for road wheels. I can build the 4.5s with these a lot cheaper on wheelbuilder.com than I could buy from the LBS with DTSwiss 240. If I don't opt for these I'll probably get DTSwiss 240's.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

They're heavier than 240s. They have fewer points of engagement than the MTB version so they won't be as loud and draggy. They're quality, don't have durability problems, and will hold up better in rain than hubs with smaller bearings and less seals. Honestly all I look for in a road hub is weight vs price and durability record. I always end up on EdHubs cuz I don't ride in rain.

On my mountain bikes I always pay for 240s or Carbon-Ti.

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

I have a set laced to HED Belgiums on my roadie. Sadly I never got weights for the set, as I was too anxious to ride.

The road hubs have 6 degrees of engagement, AFAIK that is the best in the industry for road hubs. Still make a nice loud buzz, more so than King R45 and DT Swiss.

I had an issue with the hub flange breaking on my "gen 1" hubs, but that was warrantied by i9 (free of charge) and the hub flanges have since been made thicker to prevent future issues.

Also, not a huge fan of the aluminum freehub. I still run 10 speed shimano cassettes that bite into the freehub. Haven't tried any other cassettes so I can't comment on whether those bite into the freehub or not.

Not sure of exact mileage but I'd say over 10k miles in just under 2 years. As a company Industry 9 has excellent customer service.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Isn't Project 321 (revised lately) and White Industries CLD in for comparison here?
They're all close in weight (not light weight).
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

OP mentions I9 Torch ROAD hub not disc hubs, so neither the Project 321 or the WI CLD are the least bit relevant.

Also, see this thread. Not a lot of info but there is a bit.
viewtopic.php?t=126949

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I have a I9 wheelset on my winter bike. Mechanicals are the same. The hubs have been excellent and the customer service if you should ever need it is first rate.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.