Help Me Choose a Finish: Matte White or Gloss White?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Matte White or Gloss White?

Matte White
19%
Gloss White
81%

Total votes: 27

bilwit

by bilwit

About to drop some bux on an Orbea Orca Aero. It's a fat pig but I hope I can get it to sub-7kg, certainly should be lighter than my current steel bike (7.64kg). Always loved the look of plain white with black decals (inverse of my current bike). Matte black looks really good but I'm not sure if matte white has the same appeal, also never had a non-gloss bike before, is it really that much more of a hassle cleaning? I read somewhere that Movistar changed from matte to gloss this year because of it and theirs is primarily navy.
Last edited by bilwit on Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hannawald

by hannawald

I think matt and white, it would be hard to clean, gloss is easier.. that's why i vote for glossy. it depends, what colour you combine it with, some metalic accent will be nice..

on the other hand if you want to clean it properly, matt may be nicer
Attachments
dezeen_77011-Metropolitan-Bike-by-Rizoma_8.jpg

commendatore

by commendatore

The matte white top tube on my R3 picks up so much dirt I keep a spray bottle of simple green and a rag next to the bike.

If my whole bike were that color it would only ever look dirty.

ianeire

by ianeire

I have a matt grey/eggshell SuperSix and it is absolutely impossible to keep it clean, so if you're anyway OCD about that aspect of your bike a light colour matt is absolutely not the right choice.

DaReef

by DaReef

Ignoring the maintenance issue, matte for sure.

toshi

by toshi

ianeire wrote:I have a matt grey/eggshell SuperSix and it is absolutely impossible to keep it clean, so if you're anyway OCD about that aspect of your bike a light colour matt is absolutely not the right choice.

This. I had a matte grey Scott — impossible to keep clean and really hard to clean, the area around the cranks was a total mess. Only degreaser or windex would take road grime off and it required some effort.

The only acceptable matte finish color is black.

bilwit

by bilwit

I figured as much. Just put in an order for Gloss White, thanks all :o

AJS914

by AJS914

toshi wrote:This. I had a matte grey Scott — impossible to keep clean and really hard to clean, the area around the cranks was a total mess. Only degreaser or windex would take road grime off and it required some effort.

You should try some car detailing quick spray.

toshi

by toshi

AJS914 wrote:
toshi wrote:This. I had a matte grey Scott — impossible to keep clean and really hard to clean, the area around the cranks was a total mess. Only degreaser or windex would take road grime off and it required some effort.

You should try some car detailing quick spray.

I have both Meguiar's Quick Detailer and Meguiar's waterless wash and wax spray — neither put a dent in the grease. It could have been a product of the particular matte clear coat Scott used, plus the muted grey color. Really tough to clean.

AJS914

by AJS914

Unfortunate, my matte c59 sparkles right up with Meguires.

Shrike

by Shrike

Matte looks better, more modern, to me eye. But as the guys above said, it's problematic. I have matte black/white on my bike and the crankset area isn't cleanable with regular cleaning products. Black hides it well, my bike hasn't never really looked newish since after a few rides. The white matte parts have some stains that I need to deal with eventually.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

I'm in crash repair as a business/living. As per above while matte may currently be fashionable it is most impractical. You just can't work with it. I believe it will run it's course and lose favour in time...... hopefully :wink:

White and matte should not be in the same sentence :D

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

themidge

by themidge

If you want your bike to look properly clean then white in general is usually a bad start.
My vitus 979 has a sort of semi gloss, white finish and if you pick it up by the frame with even slightly dirty or greasy hands it leaves a grimy mark :(
Especially annoying after you've just washed it.

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

Voted gloss. Matte finishes are just so... dull

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

As an owner of a white gloss bike, and knowing a friend with a light grey Matte bike trust me, gloss is the only way light coloured bikes stay showroom fresh.

Make sure you have a few packs of baby wipes in the locker to keep the new bike shiny!
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com