why is the Di2 EW-RS910 bar end junction box not more widely adopted by pros?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ph

by ph

Not a Di2 user myself but wondering why the EW-RS910 Di2 junction box isn't more widely adopted by the sponsored teams (not on TdF17 bikes of BMC, DD, Bora, QS, etc)? Seems like it would be cleaner, touch more aero perhaps?

*edited for correct part no.
Last edited by ph on Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jobvisser

by jobvisser

ph wrote:Not a Di2 user myself but wondering why the EW-WU111 Di2 junction box isn't more widely adopted by the sponsored teams (not on TdF17 bikes of BMC, DD, Bora, QS, etc)? Seems like it would be cleaner, touch more aero perhaps?

think they will receive it later and if they are not given the new Junction box i don't think they will buy it as it is pretty expensive and unneeded
---> :oops: Send me a pm to order world's lightest low carbon fiber dust covers! (1g) :oops: <---

DeeHubbs

by DeeHubbs

There are not that many bars that are spec'd with cable holes for the EW-RS910. For how often they refresh tape, and even replace bars once they go down, it is simpler for them to run a traditional A-Junction under the stem.
Last edited by DeeHubbs on Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Several teams also have updated frames with down tube ports to mount the new junction in.

Otherwise, like Dee mentioned not many have ported handlebars. BMC is connecting the hoods externally if you look closely as well on the 3T models without cable ports. Hard to see but the wire runs just behind the SRM head unit.
Just ride ..

Broady

by Broady

Barely any decent bars work with it.

djwalker

by djwalker

Just a note- the bar end junction is the EW-RS910. The EW-WU111 is the Ant+/Bluetooth communications device.

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

My LBS was able to install EW-RS910 in my 3T Ernova cleanly with e-tube and brake cables running inside of the bar before coming out from bar's holes on the bottom. I know Richie Porte is also running the same bar so in theory EW-RS910 should work nicely for him except his new BMC Teammachine frame has a dedicate location for the junction box (like F10) which might be an even better solution.

moyboy

by moyboy

I think they use the external as it's easy to replace and debug no?

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

moyboy wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:42 am
I think they use the external as it's easy to replace and debug no?
This. I worked for a UCI women's team service course very briefly and the sole reason is for ease of use. Much easier to switch from bike-to-bike, much easier to check connections, etc.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Moyboy is correct. I worked for a UCI women's team service course briefly and it is for ease of use. Easier to switch from bike to bike, easier to double check connections.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com