Weight weenie frame choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I love my RCA.......just sayin'

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

goodboyr wrote:I love my RCA.......just sayin'

A Emonda SLR frameset would leave a lot of money leftover for hookers and blow. If you are into that sort of thing.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

53x12 wrote:
goodboyr wrote:I love my RCA.......just sayin'

A Emonda SLR frameset would leave a lot of money leftover for hookers and blow. If you are into that sort of thing.

LOL
:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

Delorre

by Delorre

UpFromOne wrote:Our shop got in an Emonda SLR 56cm for a customer build. So I had the frame in my hands. Light? Yes. BUT, as to be expected, the chainstays were very easy to flex in my hand, as were the seatstays and the fork. The toptube felt like a coke can. I too have had a load of bikes in my time, but when you can bend the tubes like that, to me it's telltale.

Granted this was being built and I was not able to ride it. But take your own fav frame, and grip together the dropouts (no wheel). You ought not to expect a wet noodle. So yes, I am leery, and looking forward to reading some actual (unpaid) ride reviews by someone with some wattage.

Bertie's new slr weight 6,4 kg (before the extra 400gr lead was added), and that's with heavy SRM, DA pedals, full white paint etc. So, I suspect he rides a stock frameset, and being a pro, he puts out a lot more power than 99% of us here do. So, while not the most stiff frame in absolute terms, I suspect it's more than stiff enough as long as you don't weight + 90 kg and / or are +1,90m. But I'm curious as well!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Perhaps a custom frame would be a nice choice?
But i am unsure any custom frame really will win the WW:ism battle these days, or?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

da123

by da123

964Cup wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:01 am
Canyon out of stock on the frame-only option for the Ultimate CF Evo, so that rules them out.

Tempted to get the R5Ca repaired. Not smitten with the Trek, can't try the AX before purchase as no dealers, the RCa is not really a step forward from the R5Ca, don't want the Look. Can't see the point in spending £7,000 broadly to end up where I started; none of these bikes really feels like a step forwards.

Incidentally, WRT the Canyon, all sorts of challenges. Hopeless seatpost with 10mm setback (I need 25mm for that reach/stack combo, and the next size up has a head tube the height of the Eiffel tower); supplied with an integrated bar/stem (not clear that you get to choose the stem length or angle) and I think they have a Giant-style stupid oversize steerer, no? So I'd have to buy a new stem from a very small choice of suppliers. Feh.
Not that I think it'll make any difference to your choice, but for what its worth on the Canyon (having just bought an EVO frameset in size S):

- it was the old Ultimate that had the oversize steerer, this one is standard 1 1/8.
- they will supply what's necessary to convert the headset to take a standard bar / stem, with a very low upper assembly that reduces the stack
- you don't need to use the Canyon seatpost. I checked. The only caveat is if you're going Schmolke / AX type superlight seatpost, they might have to reinforce the post because the canyon clamping system clamps lower down and over a wider area. I'm going to run a Schmolke TLO and Schmolke are extending the clamping area to cater for this.

964Cup

by 964Cup

Holy thread resurrection, Batman. In the end I had the R5Ca repaired (again); it still rides very well. I bought an S3 with the "change" from not having to buy a new frame, because N+1.