Chapter2 Tere

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Cool, looking forward to hearing how it looks in person, and how much it weighs (Obvs!!).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

silvalis

by silvalis

:D

Chasse patate

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

That was quick! Initial thoughts on quality/weight??

silvalis

by silvalis

Haven't pulled it off the cardboard yet, but a few thoughts

Paint quality: 8.5/10 (I'm really nitpicking here - especially because I havent seen any other frames with matte/gloss transitions before)
- Matte/gloss transitions. Noticed an edge from the masking, but you can't really do anything about that. Will be interesting to see if the edge smooths over time, esp in the high wear areas (back of seattube, top of toptube to sides, leading edge of fork, etc). The matte feels like the top layer / gloss is masked off to do the matte layer.
- Slight masking difference at the white gloss C2 logo / matte black frame. Gotta actually touch it though.
- Only found 1 instance of overspray. And it's a fraction of a mm.
- Paint at the headtube/seattube transition areas (eg, toptube to cup, toptube to seattube hole) almost perfect.
All in all, much neater than my Bianchi Infinito CV & cube agree gtc, slightly neater than my colnago cx zero evo. I'd rate these 3 maybe a 6, 6, 6.5

Internals/Other: 9.5/10
- Much much neater internally than my cube and colnago. Slightly neater than my Bianchi.
- No visible wrinkles in frame/fork/post
- A bit of plastic moulding material near the bottom bracket. Gonna pull it out.
- Can see reinforcing around the cage bolts.
- moulded in aluminium headset cups (i think?)
- carbon moulded bb cableguide. carbon cover on top.
- Dropouts look good. Fork dropouts much deeper than the surrounding fork area/lawyertabs. Haven't seen fork dropouts like that before.
- Full length cable sheaths. Both gear and brake.
- Seatpost clamp same style as a ritchey 1bolt. Will check later if my ritchey 1bolt clamping hardware is interchangeable. The frame came with 7x7 and oval rail clamps anyway.

Customer Service: 11/10
They swapped out the stem to a slightly longer one for me. And the aus distro was fantastic.
Chasse patate

silvalis

by silvalis

The clamping wedge is 36g

:(
Chasse patate

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

:thumbup: Sounds as good as they look!

Weighty for the wedge but if it works well a little extra weight is all the way better than a slipping seat post!

silvalis

by silvalis

Rough weights are
Frame (M) 970g
w/ fittings, hanger, bits of plastic I hadn't pulled off.
Fork 403g uncut. bits of plastic stuck on it too.
110mm C2 stem 138g
Seatpost 400mm 196g
Chasse patate

silvalis

by silvalis

Monkeyfudger wrote::thumbup: Sounds as good as they look!

Weighty for the wedge but if it works well a little extra weight is all the way better than a slipping seat post!

Yep, should be fine, not worried about the seatpost at all. The fit seems good, the wedge has knurling on the clamping surface and the post has a strip of that rough grit stuff they do on carbon bars
Chasse patate

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

Looking forward to more pics! Did you weigh the headset?

And hopefully a ride report soon...!

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Thanks for the impressions. Is it a crinkled finish all over? How does it look in person?

- Fork dropouts much deeper than the surrounding fork area/lawyertabs. Haven't seen fork dropouts like that before.
If I'm reading this correctly, this concerns me somewhat. Is it that the clamping surfaces are inset from the rest of the dropout? Be careful of hub endcaps or fatter QRs that might foul.

Is the fork in-house? (how would one even know?)

What's the steerer diameter?

kode54

by kode54

thx for the initial unboxing. it looks like a nice packaging job...unlike most that throw the bike in a standard bike box. good to know about the quality...which you say is better than your Colango and Bianchi.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

silvalis

by silvalis

kkibbler wrote:Thanks for the impressions. Is it a crinkled finish all over? How does it look in person?

- Fork dropouts much deeper than the surrounding fork area/lawyertabs. Haven't seen fork dropouts like that before.
If I'm reading this correctly, this concerns me somewhat. Is it that the clamping surfaces are inset from the rest of the dropout? Be careful of hub endcaps or fatter QRs that might foul.

Is the fork in-house? (how would one even know?)

What's the steerer diameter?

Nah, it's the outer face, not the inside of the dropout. you'd have to have a pretty out of spec skewer for it to foul. It's just different, although probably nothing that hasnt been done before.

Fairly certain the fork is in-house - it transitions back of the fork to the frame - but thats not really an indicator. Inside label model number implies its a C2 design, but you never know.

1-1/8"-1-1/2" I think. It's an fsa 42. I didn't actually check... Will do later.

My bianchi, while a a terrific bike to ride, had sloppy paint around the headset.
Chasse patate

53x12

by 53x12

New limited edition frame offering.

"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Which route profile is that?

kode54

by kode54

that's a nice paint job.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie