Chapter2 Tere

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

kkibbler wrote:Which route profile is that?

The stage number is on the frame, just below the seatpost :wink:

53x12

by 53x12

silvalis wrote:Haven't pulled it off the cardboard yet, but a few thoughts

Paint quality: 8.5/10 (I'm really nitpicking here - especially because I havent seen any other frames with matte/gloss transitions before)
- Matte/gloss transitions. Noticed an edge from the masking, but you can't really do anything about that. Will be interesting to see if the edge smooths over time, esp in the high wear areas (back of seattube, top of toptube to sides, leading edge of fork, etc). The matte feels like the top layer / gloss is masked off to do the matte layer.
- Slight masking difference at the white gloss C2 logo / matte black frame. Gotta actually touch it though.
- Only found 1 instance of overspray. And it's a fraction of a mm.
- Paint at the headtube/seattube transition areas (eg, toptube to cup, toptube to seattube hole) almost perfect.
All in all, much neater than my Bianchi Infinito CV & cube agree gtc, slightly neater than my colnago cx zero evo. I'd rate these 3 maybe a 6, 6, 6.5

Internals/Other: 9.5/10
- Much much neater internally than my cube and colnago. Slightly neater than my Bianchi.
- No visible wrinkles in frame/fork/post
- A bit of plastic moulding material near the bottom bracket. Gonna pull it out.
- Can see reinforcing around the cage bolts.
- moulded in aluminium headset cups (i think?)
- carbon moulded bb cableguide. carbon cover on top.
- Dropouts look good. Fork dropouts much deeper than the surrounding fork area/lawyertabs. Haven't seen fork dropouts like that before.
- Full length cable sheaths. Both gear and brake.
- Seatpost clamp same style as a ritchey 1bolt. Will check later if my ritchey 1bolt clamping hardware is interchangeable. The frame came with 7x7 and oval rail clamps anyway.

Customer Service: 11/10
They swapped out the stem to a slightly longer one for me. And the aus distro was fantastic.

Have you gotten it built and ridden it yet?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

silvalis

by silvalis

53x12 wrote:
Have you gotten it built and ridden it yet?

Neg. Issue with the wedge. Just received new wedge. Tomorrow I guess.
Chasse patate

kfreytag

by kfreytag

I had the chance to ride the Chapter2 Tere this weekend in Greenville, South Carolina.

I'm in town 'cause I dropped my daughters at summer camp nearby, and I met up with Glory Cycles founder and chief nice guy Clive De Sousa. Glory is the sole US retailer for Chapter2.

Disclosure

I know Clive from being a customer of Glory Cycles, but I've got no skin in this game. I'm interested in the Tere as a consumer.

Context

To provide some context, I've been riding a Parlee Z5SL with Dura Ace 9000 mechanical and ENVE Classic 25 tubulars w/ Vittoria Corsa SC 25s. The combination of ride quality and stiffness on the Parlee is a dream. It (and the Z-Zero) are two of the best-riding bikes I've thrown a leg over.

The Tere Build

The Tere was built up with mid-compact Ultegra 8000 and an 11/30 cassette. Mike Pryde (Chapter2) Stem and Post, Pro Vibe alu bars and Pro Stealth saddle. It had Mavic Ksyrium Elite clinchers paired to Yksion Pro tires. A budget-conscious build but solid.

The Riding

We did a 20 mile loop last night that incorporated Paris Mountain and, today, a 30 mile loop with a bunch of rollers, short punchy climbs, some extended climbing, and some flats. I live in the SF Bay Area and mostly do extended climbing, so this is somewhat unfamiliar terrain for me. Did my best.

Thoughts

One of the first things I noticed when riding off on the Tere was how comfortable it was. Clipping in and hopping off a small curb to start the ride, I braced for the jarring impact, but it wasn't there. The Tere proved itself to be remarkably compliant. The comfort really surprised me, especially given some of the early reviews I'd read suggesting that it had quite a racy feel. It's definitely solid (this is no noodle), but the compliance is downright impressive, and it's not just curb hopping. The frame soaks up the high frequency vibrations, despite an alu parts finishing kit. The feedback was there, but the harshness wasn't.

What also impressed me was the descending prowess. It's not a fast-handling bike. If you want twitchy, I'd suggest this isn't the bike for you, but it felt natural to be hitting ~50mph on an unfamiliar bike w/in 15 miles of the first pedal stroke. That made me smile. The descents were quite sinuous, and the Tere felt great. Absolutely planted (I love to descend).

The critique I have on the Tere is that it didn't feel as snappy as I'd like it to. Accelerations felt muted by comparison to my Parlee. It could be any number of things, but I'm frankly guessing that the wheelset is simply so much heavier than what I'm used to, and that affects the bike's feel. I'd love to try it with a 1kg wheelset.

I came away from the rides really impressed. It has me considering getting one. Question is whether it'll be disc or rim brake ('prolly disc).

Here are some pics:

Life's too short to ride clinchers.

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

silvalis

by silvalis

I'll second your comments. Extremely smooth, I'd say almost (but not quite) as smooth as my Infinito CV. Super stable in a straight line too.
Chasse patate

silvalis

by silvalis

Chasse patate

drabir

by drabir

The frame has arrived. I had planned to buy the black regular edition but fell in love with the limited TdF edition and bought that instead. Still, haven't built it because my power meter and BB is yet to arrive. Most likely will start the build tomorrow or day after tomorrow. Will provide a full photo series and weights along the way. They sent me frame number 5 of 17. Loved that. Because I was born on 5th May.
the number
the number

The one thing I have to mention is the box. I work in advertising and I gathered my designers up to show how impeccably they had designed every part of it.
The box
The box

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

Been riding one and it's exactly as one might expect from a bike of this nature. (full disclosure, I am a retailer and sell C2 as well as other brands)

It's a fantastic well balanced ride, took me a day to feel at home and it accelerates and corners as well as any top end bike. Reviews are super subjective and end of the day have so much to do with the way the bike is set up that I'm not go to go into the "corners on rails' thing but can say this bike is world class.

As for the stand over, it's a traditional geometry which has some good things about it. Rides better I think and looks better but could be a standover problem for some.
Looks: Up close it's very well finished and I love the design style. Mike Pryde knows how to get his vision to reality.

Value: $1896 for the frame/fork/headset/seatpost/stem - can't be beat. It has to do with the sales channels not the quality or design that are any less than bikes twice the price.

See my bike here with the new R8000 Ultegra https://www.flickr.com/photos/glorycycl ... 4661167294

Another set of pics here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/glorycycl ... 4774016310
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

flying

by flying

cwdzoot wrote:See my bike here with the new R8000 Ultegra https://www.flickr.com/photos/glorycycl ... 4661167294

Another set of pics here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/glorycycl ... 4774016310

Congrats that is a nice clean build :thumbup:

drabir

by drabir

Have done a portion of the build. Still waiting for the handlebar and saddle. Have borrowed from others to finish it for now. Here is an album of the entire experience.

https://web.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... n__=%2As-R

Rode it for the first time today. I used to have a TCR Advanced 0 2013 from Giant. Compared to that I found the backend to be a lot stiffer. There is a snappiness in the frame under power which I really liked.

As for the aero stuff, I am far too slow to judge anything from that side. I bought this frame because I like the colours and the price. And also because I raced with Mike Pryde, the designer and the owner, in Thailand.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

moonoi

by moonoi

Rather than create a new post for this, I thought I'd just drop this here.

My C2 Tere BRG Limited Edition (size XL), landed in Thailand on Friday and thanks to the help of Cycling Projects and the local distributor, was able to get it built up ready to ride this morning.

kfreytag

by kfreytag

Love that toptube detail!

moonoi wrote:Image
Life's too short to ride clinchers.

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

flying

by flying

moonoi wrote:Rather than create a new post for this, I thought I'd just drop this here.

My C2 Tere BRG Limited Edition (size XL), landed in Thailand on Friday and thanks to the help of Cycling Projects and the local distributor, was able to get it built up ready to ride this morning.

Congrats on a nice limited edition build :thumbup:

I always miss Thailand when I see your posts

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

Looks great.
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Sorry terrible photo!

Haven't exactly got very far with this thing, had the frame for a few weeks now but as racing is over for the year the motivation to build it has waned!

About 6.4kg as pictured (old 105 cassette on wheels), so 9100 cassette, cables, chain and bar tape, pedals and cages to go on, seat post needs chopped down as it's way too tall and steerer might need a wee bit trimmed off as well :lol: might just about sneak up on the UCI limit. Not bad for 60mm clinchers and a PM.