Help me tracking down creaking

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Out of nowhere recently creaking appeared during my rides and I would like to tips what to check out first based on the symptoms. Maybe somebody had this issue before and knows what to check first before swapping cranks and removing the BB.

Bike: Cannondale Supersix himod, pf30a bb. Kogel conversion BB with shimano Dura ace cranks, zipp nsw 303s, ultegra cassette. Specialized Toupe Pro saddle. I haven't changed anything since I have this bike (6+ month ~3800 miles).

x) Only appears when I'm on the small chain ring, BUT only on steeper gradients than 8%+. Interestingly power doesn't matter, the steeper the gradient, the louder the creaking
x) If I stand, the creaking disappears.
x) Only happens on the left pedal stroke, but on every pedal stroke.
x) During changing gears it seems to disappear for 1 stroke.

Things I tried:
x) Obviously the first thing I did that I removed the seat post, cleaned it, re-applied the carbon paste.
x) Re tightened the chainring bolts to spec

None of these helped.

Obviously my prime suspect is the saddle, but there is no movement there as far as I see. The other idea is to swap out the rear wheel.

moonoi

by moonoi

Check your shoes as well, s-works road 6 are a notoriously creaky shoe for example S-works 6 shoes squeaking and sounding like it comes from the bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moonoi

by moonoi

Sorry for the quadruple post, something went odd with Tapatalk...
Last edited by moonoi on Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

moonoi

by moonoi

Last edited by moonoi on Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

moonoi

by moonoi

Last edited by moonoi on Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ravnsnaes

by Ravnsnaes

Always start by either lubricating or changing your quick release skewers. They are by far and away the most common source of creaking. Even the Thru axles on new disc brake bikes will creak like mad, as I've discovered on both Canyon and Cannondale disc road bikes.

upside

by upside

Dura Ace cassette?

morrisond

by morrisond

It sounds like possibly its the Left Bearing in your BB. I have a Ti Bike with a PF30 Enduro BB - The Enduro screws together and is in there pretty tight so when it started to creek I was pretty sure it wasn't the interface between the cups and the frame. When I pulled the Cranks (SiSL2) sure enough the inner race on the Left bearing was loose and wobbly causing the creek - I gave up on the Enduro bearings as they were'nt that old and subbed in some CeramicSpeed into the Euduro Cups - it's creek free now.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Lube your cleats' contact points

kdawg

by kdawg

I would check the stem bolts too as it's easy and creaks can travel. Same with skewers - although that's less likely with the one sided pattern.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

upside wrote:Dura Ace cassette?

Ultegra cs-6800

srshaw

by srshaw

Definitely second the shoes. Especially if power doesn't seem to make a difference. Does it creak out of the saddle? That could eliminate another source of noise.

wojchiech

by wojchiech

Check your saddle rails. Sometimes enough play develops between the mounting points of the rails and saddle body to develop sounds. Try a thin chain lube first. if that takes care of it, degrease again and super glue the same area. Make sure to allow for sufficient cure time so as not to glue yourself to your saddle.

kode54

by kode54

Ravnsnaes wrote:Always start by either lubricating or changing your quick release skewers. They are by far and away the most common source of creaking. Even the Thru axles on new disc brake bikes will creak like mad, as I've discovered on both Canyon and Cannondale disc road bikes.

yeah. recently happened to me. couldn't figure out where the noise was coming from. then one day, i stopped...tightened up the QR and the noise was gone.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

To check BB: hold the handlebars & saddle, then put your weight on a pedal (i.e. push on it). The frame should flex (this is normal), and if it's the BB, the creak should show up.

If it's the saddle, it could be the metal rails (does it have metal rails?) rubbing against the shell. Did you try swapping a saddle for a short climb and see if the creak goes away?