Cav's custom paint job... 1g only

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

https://www.cervelo.com/en/about/news/c ... next-level

The story of Cav’s new S5 began in early 2016, when initial paint samples for the gold medal-winning T5GB track bike were developed in a unique partnership with Britain’s Silverstone Paint Technology. While visiting the company’s headquarters in Northamptonshire, Briggs was shown a new heat-shielding atomic material for the brakes and engines of F1 race cars, more than a quarter of which are painted by SPT. When applied to the bare carbon-fibre surface of an S5 frameset, this 10-micron-thick material provided exceptionally even coverage at an atomic level and weighed just a single gram. Using an F1 team’s research lab, its thickness was then reduced to 2 microns — about that of a bacterium — and its durability improved. Because adding paint and clear coat to the material would increase its weight, SPT used dyes to drastically reduce the amount of paint required. Then Briggs designed a graphics package that highlights the chrome-like finish of the unpainted atomic material and the carbon-fibre surface. In fact, only about a third of the frameset has been treated with paint, reducing the original frameset weight by 75 grams (or about 10 per cent of the total frameset weight).
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

Could I get about 2-3 spray cans of the stuff please? Thanks.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

itsacarr

by itsacarr

While their is a fair bit of gobbledygook marketing thrown in around this new paint - the end result is impressive. I have had some lovely paint jobs that have added a solid 200 grams. So this is pretty nifty if it ever trickles down versus a 300 dollar vapor coat add on :)
Just ride ..

eric01

by eric01

That's a good looking paint job. There's hope that weight weenie bikes won't be all black!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

wingguy

by wingguy

itsacarr wrote:So this is pretty nifty if it ever trickles down versus a 300 dollar vapor coat add on :)

Yeah, sure. Just up the cost by a third..... Then add another zero.

Update: So since photographing the bike, we've learned that the finish costs a staggering €4,000, so don't expect to see this option in your local Cervelo dealer anytime soon

And the deign as a whole on the bike weighs more than 1g. The chrome and metallic green parts might weigh that, but the matt downtube and white stays are painted on top of that treatment. Still wicked cool though. Love the visible carbon through the finish.

mile2424

by mile2424

says it saves 75 grams, where does it say it weighs only 1g?

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

mile2424 wrote:says it saves 75 grams, where does it say it weighs only 1g?

"When applied to the bare carbon-fibre surface of an S5 frameset, this 10-micron-thick material provided exceptionally even coverage at an atomic level and weighed just a single gram"

So I read that as covering a whole S5 frame it would be 1g
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

mile2424

by mile2424

ah gotcha, missed that part! Very interesting. I think it's an awesome paint job, just think the smaller size of the bike and the seat post ruin the aesthetics.

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

Covering a whole aero frame with paint added only 1g.

All SLR version of flagship bikes do not have to be all black now then.

Specialized could have made New Tarmac SL with different colors then.

Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

mile2424

by mile2424

The problem is it's not mass produceable. The cost of Cav's paint was 4k Euro. Even the new super light Tarmac is using a special black paint coating that only adds 10g. While yes it is black, it is still light. Hopefully they can find ways to do this in colors and like Cav's in more mass produceable styles soon for consumers.

tranzformer

by tranzformer

mile2424 wrote:ah gotcha, missed that part! Very interesting. I think it's an awesome paint job, just think the smaller size of the bike and the seat post ruin the aesthetics.

Still better looking than a Venge ViAS!

mile2424

by mile2424

tranzformer wrote:
mile2424 wrote:ah gotcha, missed that part! Very interesting. I think it's an awesome paint job, just think the smaller size of the bike and the seat post ruin the aesthetics.

Personally I love the look of the Vias when it's set up properly with the flat bars but to each their own

bilwit

by bilwit

a green bike for the green jersey.. oh wait

Shrike

by Shrike

Looks incredible. Technically a marvel too. Hard to fathom!

See if you paint stripped an aero frame, would it be less aero?

tranzformer

by tranzformer

mile2424 wrote:
tranzformer wrote:

Personally I love the look of the Vias when it's set up properly with the flat bars but to each their own

Says the Specialized fanboy and employee (former?) of Specialized. :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com