Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:16 pm

All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:36 pm
Posts: 734
..........because no pros in the tour are using carbon clinchers during alpine descents.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:50 pm
Posts: 1067
Location: FIN
and because every single "road disc bike" has highly annoying rattling brake hose in the frame. No exceptions.

_________________
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain


I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)


Top
   
Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:55 pm 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:03 am
Posts: 2673
Location: Islip, NY
stormur wrote:
and because every single "road disc bike" has highly annoying rattling brake hose in the frame. No exceptions.


Except mine. :roll:

Carry on.

_________________
www.ergottwheels.com


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:31 am
Posts: 388
ergott wrote:
stormur wrote:
and because every single "road disc bike" has highly annoying rattling brake hose in the frame. No exceptions.

Except mine. :roll:
Carry on.


Or mine ....


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:02 pm
Posts: 227
Yeah, my hoses are silent too...


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:50 pm
Posts: 1067
Location: FIN
There's no on the market internal routing which prevents noisy rear brake housing. It simply doesn't exist, so yes you do have chattering, regardless you admit that or not. Other option is your roads are extremely good and/or tires very wide& soft .

If I'm wrong; show me silent road disc brake bike with internal housing routing ( front and rear brakes ).

PS I skip "diy" like filling frame by foam from obvious reasons...

_________________
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain


I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:03 am
Posts: 507
Location: Madison, WI USA
stormur wrote:
and because every single "road disc bike" has highly annoying rattling brake hose in the frame. No exceptions.

Aren't you kind of setting yourself up for failure here? I mean, your assertion is false as soon as anyone finds just one disc-braked road bike with a hydraulic hose that doesn't rattle. Or even one that does rattle, but not in a highly annoying way.

Ambrose Bierce once wrote that to be positive "is to be mistaken at the top of one's voice."


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:50 pm
Posts: 1067
Location: FIN
Anyone ? Who in particular ? Show non rattling bike ... Maybe we start from yours ? Words are cheap, isn't it ? :mrgreen:

There's 2 designs of internal routing only; BOTH cause rattling. ONE of them can be silenced by filling tubes with foam ( unacceptable ). Conclusion : ALL bikes with internal housing routing rattle on less than perfect surface and road tires 28mm and smaller . If that don't annoy owner ; lucky guy/ girl . But it absolutely doesn't mean that bike is "noiseless". It's not. Simply can't be.

People have different standards, maybe according to yours it doesn't, according to mine it does.

_________________
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain


I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:31 am
Posts: 388
@ stormur - when on rough roads to get rattling, there is noise from the RS685 levers (early version) or chain slap, but none that I can detect from the internally routed hyd hose (Voalgi Liscio 56cm). :noidea:

I run 25C tyres at 85 - 90psi.

Maybe I'm missing something, but can't detect hyd hoses rattling. You are welcome to come to Adelaide to prove me wrong 8)


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:52 pm
Posts: 1529
No rattling on my specialized Crux.

_________________
Colnago C59


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:48 pm
Posts: 330
Location: NorCal/SoCal
Mine doesn't rattle either. If I was to push the hose into the frame so it slack it will rattle some, but there is no reason to do that. Not sure what you're trying to prove, I've had and seen rim brake bikes with internal routing that rattle too.

The R785 levers do rattle over chip seal if your hands are not in the hoods (it never did it until the bike got knocked over one day) because their is no spring tension on them with hydro and Di2, and that is really annoying. There is a hack fix for it, though I have not tried it yet




.

_________________
Website | Instagram


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:14 pm
Posts: 4772
Yeah, Stormur... rattling of internally routed full cable housing, whether it's hydraulic lines or cables housing, really has nothing to do with the discussion, except with discs perhaps maybe you'd see more hydraulic lines being internally routed than cables, which more more often than not use stops. I just rebuilt a Pinarello 65.2 (or something) Dogma. Regular brakes but full cable housing routed through the top tupe. Owner complained of constant rattling as the housing bounced around inside. He had some electrical tape at the entry points to help stop it from getting slack inside. Of course those rattles are annoying. But in that case, I got some rubber O-rings and crazyglued them to the outer housing where it entered and exited the top tube and they acted like perfect cable stops and looked very neat, so you couldn't even tell they were there unless you looked hard. But rattle gone.
C59's have a full internal routing of the cable housing through the top tube, non disc, but there is also an internal guide that the whole thing just follows from beginning to end, and thus... not a hint of a rattle. But that issue certainly isn't a function of whether the bike has disc brakes or not.

_________________
Colnago C60 - PR99
C59 Five Years Later
My Special Colnago EPQ
Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:24 am
Posts: 42
No rattle here with new DA on a new Orbea Orca. Never going back to rim brakes.


Attachments:
Orbea Orca Di2 9170.jpeg
Orbea Orca Di2 9170.jpeg [ 25.36 KiB | Viewed 372 times ]
Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:12 pm
Posts: 2928
Location: eh?
Stormur makes a good point but it seems there are enough exceptions that I doubt the industry will do anything about this. Fact is once you start putting stuff inside bike tubes you are increasing the likelihood of annoying hard to fix rattles.

My mechanical disc Boone is rattle free but that is only because the Yokozuna brake housing is so stiff that the bends in the routing literally leaved it wedged against the sides of the various tubes it passes through. Hydraulic with more pliable hoses might be different story.

_________________
wheelsONfire wrote:
When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:09 am
Posts: 8
DOUG wrote:
:lol: I'll make sure to run my purchasing decisions past "the Europeans" before buying anything then. Oh wait I already ride a road bike with discs! Hopefully the superior braking in the dry and much better performance in the wet will make up for my lack of experience :roll:

You guys crack me up.


Just curious how you define superior. I've raced bicycles, motorcycles, and cars. Superior means many different things in each of these formats. I'm wondering what you mean by "superior" braking.

Before you say something foolish, you might want to read something by a brake engineer http://www.scirocco.org/faq/brakes/pulpfriction/pfpage1.htmlwhose credentials include http://www.teamscr.com/about-james-walk ... r-jr~.html vehicle stability systems for OEMs.

Suffice it to say, regardless of your religion, the tire determines your braking performance regardless of how you choose to extract heat from forward motion.

_________________
lance - no, not that guy, I started racing in 1976.
1980 A-D Ultima
1999 Softride TT
2013 Cervelo S5 Team LE


Top
   
Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:38 am 


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13 Next

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Disc brakes : new pads = brake rub??

in Road

Delorre

9

1011

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:36 am

CBJ View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Road Disc Brakes- Rotor Choice

[ Go to page: 1 2 3 4 5 ]

in Road

mdeth1313

68

5933

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:33 pm

simoncx View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Attachment(s) In a 2017 ww world - what is the weight penalty of running disc brakes?

[ Go to page: 1 2 ]

in Road

alcatraz

17

2946

Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:53 pm

nemeseri View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Do Roval Disc CLX 50's fit Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Disc?

in Road

dvearn

4

950

Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:32 am

hannawald View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. CAAD12 Disc Fram + New Campy Disc = Compatible?

[ Go to page: 1 2 ]

in Road

NewYorkNick

19

2598

Sat May 13, 2017 8:17 pm

NewYorkNick View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: glepore, Jere and 41 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited