Frame Options Under ~$800

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrpillow

by mrpillow

Hello all!

Looking to upgrade my cheap aluminum frame with something nicer and lighter. I would prefer to spend around $500 but could push upwards to about $800 if the extra is worth it. Any recommendations on what road frame sources/makers I should be looking at in this range? One thing I am NOT interested in is bare carbon frames. I have no problem with Chinese products, but I am not interested in a bike that has an unpainted CF finish. Let me know if theres any other info I can provide to help.

Cheers!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2lo8

by 2lo8

A painted Chinese frame
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

mrpillow

by mrpillow

Are there preferred vendors for painted frames? Would the paint job need to be done aftermarket?

2lo8

by 2lo8

Many if not most of the Chinese carbon sources will custom paint a frame to whatever you want for a small fee. I'm not an expert on Chinese carbon though.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

AJS914

by AJS914

I'd look at the used market with that budget but that is me.

The other way to go is to look at a seller who sells Chinese frames but supports them (Ribble, Planet X, Nashbar, Performance, etc).

If you have to ship something back to China for a quality control issue or warranty issue, any savings have gone down the drain.

2lo8

by 2lo8

Nashbar tries to resell seriously defective carbon in their returned items section. They don't actually care about customer's safety, just making a buck. I need to update my blog, but I will never recommend Nashbar carbon again.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

RyanH

by RyanH

Between 500 and 800 you can get some very good used frames. I had a Fuji that was a fantastic frame. If I wasn't a snob, there was a good chance I would have just ridden that. I was quite happy with it. I believe I sold it for $450 or so.

Does it have to be new or do you want recommendations for used framesets as well? My vote is used, but that's also because I purchase nearly every frameset that way.

mrpillow

by mrpillow

I am fine with used if it's in good condition! Is there a place better then eBay to look for used frame sets? I didn't find terribly many options in my size but of course will keep checking. Thanks for the input on the carbon resellers - I was not familiar with Ribble or PlanetX and will check them out.

mentok

by mentok

Where are you located? Assuming USA

I have a soft spot for the Kinesis Aithein. It fits the bill in terms of budget but it's alloy (maybe you definitely want carbon?) and it's coming from the UK so it's going to cost a little to ship.

Otherwise, looking at something like a Planet X (but not necessarily Planet X) would be good, as you're getting something decent but it's backed by warranty of sorts.

mrpillow

by mrpillow

I'm in the USA (New England for the time being). I'm not dead set on carbon, and would consider another alloy frame, but only if its a substantial improvement over my current alloy frame. If it helps to gauge the change - the frame I am currently riding was originally from this bike - http://www.motobecane.com/alplus/grr.html

Everything else has been replaced, only the frame remains, partially because I've always had a strange soft spot for the garish yellow scheme!

dj97223

by dj97223

I have a NOS Dedacciai Nerissimo that I bought on eBay from a US dealer. I've been very happy with it. I've seen some listed recently from a seller in Europe. I don't know if they are legit, but if they are, they would be a good deal in your price range.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

Mep

by Mep

SuperSix Evos are affordable and common on eBay. I bought one a couple months back for less than 800 in NOS condition.

53x12

by 53x12

mrpillow wrote:Hello all!

Looking to upgrade my cheap aluminum frame with something nicer and lighter. I would prefer to spend around $500 but could push upwards to about $800 if the extra is worth it. Any recommendations on what road frame sources/makers I should be looking at in this range? One thing I am NOT interested in is bare carbon frames. I have no problem with Chinese products, but I am not interested in a bike that has an unpainted CF finish. Let me know if theres any other info I can provide to help.

Cheers!

Go used. You will be happier in the end and with a better quality frameset. I would personally search eBay, various bike forum classified sections...etc.

Older Cervelo R3
Cannondale SystemSix Hi-Mod
CAADs (9/10/12)
Look 585
Older Specialized Tarmac
Giant TCR Advanced

Really too many good used options to mention them all. Just keep your eye out, you are bound to eventually find something in your price range that will be a quality purchase.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

AJS914

by AJS914

eBay is actually pretty good for buyers. You have buyer protection and you can force a return if the item is not as described.

eric01

by eric01

Check you local cycling club. If there's an active community, you might find someone with a used frame they'd be willing to part with at a reasonable price. At least you'd be able to check it out in person rather than photos on ebay. You may even find someone who will cut you a good deal in the name of giving back to the community.

And +1 on the latest gen aluminum frames. I test rode one (CAAD 12) and was surprised at how well it rode. Light too.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com