How to use a Pioneer power meter without a magnet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alastairb

by alastairb

Unfortunately I've lost the magnet for my Pioneer power meter....I can't find any info on how to configure it to use it without a magnet; anybody know how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

is it supposed to work without one? typically the magnet is used to trigger a pm so that it 'wakes' up and can measure the cadence

get a small magnet and tape it in the correct position with one of the poles pointing at the pm, should be ok

in the past i've used small rare earth magnets from ebay, small ones 2 x 2 x 1 mm or discs 3 x 1 mm are ok for cadence/speed sensors, you can get a stack for a few £/€/$

alastairb

by alastairb

sungod wrote:is it supposed to work without one? typically the magnet is used to trigger a pm so that it 'wakes' up and can measure the cadence

get a small magnet and tape it in the correct position with one of the poles pointing at the pm, should be ok

in the past i've used small rare earth magnets from ebay, small ones 2 x 2 x 1 mm or discs 3 x 1 mm are ok for cadence/speed sensors, you can get a stack for a few £/€/$

Yup, I'm pretty sure you can. The pm has an accelerometer which can measure cadence but you have to make some set up changes to do it. I run a Quarq without a magnet and I know Stages don't use one...I just need to know how!

sungod

by sungod

have you looked in the manual? if you've lost it there's likely to be a copy online

sib

by sib

I've not done it myself, but the power unit can be upgraded to work without a magnet:
viewtopic.php?t=131666&start=30

I've taped a rare earth magnet to my frame and it works fine (left leg only).

fa63

by fa63

I think it is a firmware update. I use mine without a magnet.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

alastairb wrote:Unfortunately I've lost the magnet for my Pioneer power meter....I can't find any info on how to configure it to use it without a magnet; anybody know how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

I had the same issue. It's a little bit tricky and you need the head unit. AFAIK it will work only as a regular power meter and not a pedaling monitor so:
x) upgrade the software on the headunit first
x) you can wake up the unit with removing and puting back the battery
x) using the headunit upgrade the firmware on the power meter
x) switch the mode to power meter
x) pair the headunit with the power meter

I recommend to keep using magnets though.

alastairb

by alastairb

nemeseri wrote:
alastairb wrote:Unfortunately I've lost the magnet for my Pioneer power meter....I can't find any info on how to configure it to use it without a magnet; anybody know how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

I had the same issue. It's a little bit tricky and you need the head unit. AFAIK it will work only as a regular power meter and not a pedaling monitor so:
x) upgrade the software on the headunit first
x) you can wake up the unit with removing and puting back the battery
x) using the headunit upgrade the firmware on the power meter
x) switch the mode to power meter
x) pair the headunit with the power meter

I recommend to keep using magnets though.

Thanks. Will do, particularly as I'm using it with a Garmin!

djel

by djel

Does anyone know how to update the firmware without the headunit? It was so easy to do with my Stages with the iOS app...

I've heard that there's a PC tool you can use but I could never find a download link.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

djel wrote:Does anyone know how to update the firmware without the headunit? It was so easy to do with my Stages with the iOS app...

I've heard that there's a PC tool you can use but I could never find a download link.

You should contact pioneer support, they are surprisingly responsive. I heard that there is a USB device that can do the firmware upgrade. Also you can probably bring in the bike to any good dealer and they should be able to get a head unit and upgrade the firmware for you. I think this was the main reason pioneer gave out free head units for a while.

Darceking

by Darceking

Honestly the easiest thing would be to use a magnet and stick it on there or buy a new magnet kit from Pioneer. BikeBug Australia sell them

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com