Dogma F10 Frame

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
AJS914

by AJS914

I just don't believe that comfort comes from tires. I had a frame that was so stiff that I was dodging every single imperfection on the road. It was just fatiguing and annoying. The bike was beautiful on brand new roads that were as smooth as glass.

I tried 25mm GP4000s (measuring 28mm). I normally use 23s. I also tried 80psi. I normally use 100psi. Sure, it made a small difference but it didn't turn my bike into a magic carpet ride.

Delorre

by Delorre

AJS914 wrote:I just don't believe that comfort comes from tires. I had a frame that was so stiff that I was dodging every single imperfection on the road. It was just fatiguing and annoying. The bike was beautiful on brand new roads that were as smooth as glass.

I tried 25mm GP4000s (measuring 28mm). I normally use 23s. I also tried 80psi. I normally use 100psi. Sure, it made a small difference but it didn't turn my bike into a magic carpet ride.

THIS!! Even with the same tyres and same pressure, my both Canyons are / were way smoother than my Scott Addict. All on carbon clinchers, same saddle and seatpost. Tyres do make a difference for sure, but the way a frame behaves on rough roads still remains. No need to ride 100k to tell the difference. 50m into the very first ride on the Addict was enough to tell me the bike would always remain harsher than the Canyons.

by Weenie

LionelB

by LionelB

Comfort:
- tires and their pressure: 80%
- Wheels : 15%
- All the rest combined : 5%

At least it's my opinion :)

RyanH

by RyanH

Wheels/tires in isolation I think are 80% tires, 20% wheels which contribute to the overall comfort of the wheelset. However, seatpost can have a big impact on comfort as well as the frame. My Evo would beat me up compared to my Litespeed and Crumpton. Same wheels, same tire pressure, same saddle. Evo was 27.2 post while the two others are 31.6. So, even with a smaller diameter post, it was still less comfortable than the other two.

Conversely, I put a 3T Pro seatpost (290g heavy alloy post) on my Litespeed and the ride became harsh compared to the Mcfk post.
Strava
Current Stable. The Snob Machine
The Ex's. LS Siena: 6.21kg | Parlee Z5 SLi: 5.9kg | LS Xicon: 5.76kg | C59: 5.7kg | Cervelo R5ca: 5.09kg | Fuji Altamira SE - 6.2kg | Scott Foil - 6.2kg | Evo - 5.18kg | LS Classic - 6.7kg | The Crumpton - 5.9kg