Colnago, please explain the appeal

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

A beautiful bike and a serious internet bitch slapping. :lol:
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha... maybe we should just make this thread a continuation of the previously locked "Pictures of Colnagos" thread. I think the title of this thread is appropriate... no words necessary... just pictures. If you don't get the appeal from browsing through a thread like that, then you never will. No explanation necessary.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Geoff

by Geoff

well, I raced on Colnagos almost my whole life. The great thing about Colnago, which still holds true to this day, is that you can get full custom framesets (ok, eventually Colnago got too big and we were too small, so my last two seasons were on Zullo) on their top-line product. Try doing that with any of the other 'big-name' manufacturers. Sure, it does take time, but the lugged design allows anyone to get the bike that they need. Try doing that with a monocoque.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

What happened to the Colnago pictures thread? I was going to post up my new C60 there

c60rider

by c60rider

Zakalwe wrote:What happened to the Colnago pictures thread? I was going to post up my new C60 there

This happened... http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=145709

And the moderators have still to make any kind of response

2lo8

by 2lo8

Geoff wrote:Try doing that with a monocoque.

I remember reading an article about a company that does custom monocoque with CNC'd foam cores like Damon Rinard's home made carbon bike. I don't know the name off the top of my head because I had no interest in ever owning one.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

colnagoc59

by colnagoc59

Calnago your C60 rules. That is one awesome looking bike. If someone doesn't understand after seeing that then they test ride it and still don't understand don't waste your breath with them. Their not worthy. Colnago C series are like Ferrari's they stir the emotions upon sight. When is the last time you say a Ferrari parked somewhere, in a magazine, etc and it just screams fast. Same for C series it stirs your emotions to ride it. I recently sold my C59 got a Cervelo R5 (2017) boy am I kicking myself. R5 is a great bike but does not motivate me to ride it where my C59 one look at it and I wanted to ride.

fabriciom

by fabriciom

gewichtweenie wrote:
fabriciom wrote:
My conscience is clear and i'm not bother by this thread. If it bothers you thats of your concern. I do not buy bikes/frames to feed my ego. I ride what I like and what makes me smile. I'm not bother by what others think of me or my ride.

no worries about that last bit, as witnessed in the last 7 pages nobody is interested in what you ride.

but you surely seem interested in what others ride, because you jump at everyone opportunity to express how much you dislike their colnago.

"they look sloppy"
"they do nothing for me"
"i do not get the appeal"
"no way i would go"

thats a strange itch on your ego that you keep having to scratch. your psychologist can probably diagnose it better than us.

Never said they look sloppy, to make it clear I do not like the "classical" design. Thats like buying an antique car built today. Defeats the purpose of buying an "antique".

What does curiosity have to do with someone's ego? I am very curious as to why anyone would spend 6k on a frame that looks like 10 year old designs/technology. But I do understand the exclusivity of it and thats basically what very few talk about and what I believe is what I did not know/understand.

As to what I ride I don't need to tell you what it is, Im sure you already know and if you don't I just don't care, really. My bike doesn't make me and its not a part of me. Thats what my psychiatrist would probably say.
Last edited by fabriciom on Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

@Calnago - happy to elaborate but I can't share pics for a couple of reasons. Anyhow, here's what I've noticed this month alone.

Ottanta5 - the fork dropouts where they are bonded to the carbon, the seam all the way around was visible. Some of the other C60's we have are similar but not all so I consider this a flaw. On this particular model, the inside of the fork was pitted akin to a poor bondo repair on a car.

C60 PLWH - the transition from gloss white to matte carbon on the outer right side of the fork leg has a poorly cut line that is a little jagged/messy.

Dream Pink - NDS dropout lug transition to chainstay has a feathered brush below the paint that shows through it.

These flaws are sloppy, plain and simple. Not what I would expect paying what someone pays for a C60. Where's the passion for excellence or quality control?These flaws certainly won't affect ride quality and on that note, from what other C60 owners have said, it's the ride quality that stands out most so that's what I paid attention to the most when trying one out and I just don't get what it is that's so magical.

My experiences are limited to the C60's I've built and ridden and that's the only model Colnago I have an opinion on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

AJS914

by AJS914

Colnago appeals to different people for different reasons:

For me, it's the ride quality and the fit. My C59 is second to none after having ridden 7 or 8 other carbon frames.

For others, it's the name and history of the brand. They get off on that sort of thing.

For some, it's the 'hand made in Italy' thing.

For others, it's the art decor paint jobs.

For some, it's all of the above.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

I will agree with above. I admire how they look and I look at the PLWH we have on the showroom floor every time I pass by it. Love the use of lugs and the vast geometry options ensures compatibility for many. I think I'm a fan of the aesthetics but am just disappointed with finish on the C60's we've sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

2lo8

by 2lo8

fabriciom wrote:Thats like buying an antique car built today. Defeats the purpose of buying an "antique".

Morgans are incredibly fun to drive.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

fabriciom

by fabriciom

2lo8 wrote:
fabriciom wrote:Thats like buying an antique car built today. Defeats the purpose of buying an "antique".

Morgans are incredibly fun to drive.

Could be I've never even seen one in real life.

But would you say is more fun then the following?

I'm using this an an example because its on a two wheels, very recent and Italian. Which seems to be liked by a lot of the colnago fans.

2lo8

by 2lo8

You're asking if a car is a motorcycle? How is that a fair comparison? A motorcycle gets bonus points for being a motorcycle. Some people buy retro style motorcycles over sports bikes if that's your question. I don't pretend to be a motorcycle racer or have autobahns I can go 100+mph on, and I'd prefer a smaller lighter bike on the track. Is a super sport better if you're racing in that class? Yes. For everything else I actually do with a motorcycle? I'd pick something else.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ab01ns

by ab01ns

MyM3Coupe wrote:
samuelcfadams1986 wrote: I don't believe there is another bike made in the same productions process as the C60. The lugged construction is quite individual.

I would say Time has a far more intense process. They weave their own, and have 100% control over quality. Their quickset headset is brilliant! Colnago simply buys pre-made carbon tube-sets and just glues them together. Nothing fancy at all really. Colnago was relevant 20 years ago.

Another vote here for time.Image

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
20% cyclist/80% J.I.T