3T Strada aero road bike is made for wide tires and 1×12 drivetrains

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AZR3

by AZR3

glam2deaf wrote::roll: getting mad at marketing doing it's job....

So it's marketing's job to allow misinformation about their product to go uncorrected?

So hypothetically a cycling publication posts a story about a new Shimano product with a feature that doesn't exsist and it's not shimano's responsibility to correct that mistake?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2lo8

by 2lo8

So you've never thought an advertisement full of bull was stupid and just told yourself "they're just doing their job." Since when does doing one's job make actions above judgement? When there's a job title attached to it? Especially if you choose a job, or choose to perform your job in such a manner. Such marketing is beneath contempt. That or you're in marketing. 3T's theories are wonk, and they're full of it, if 3T wants to peddle alternative facts on forums, I can respond in kind. Obviously there was intentional disinformation, grand or not, because all the press releases indicated 1x12, the behavior of 3T staff in this thread also confirm it. If anything, 3T wanted to steal SRAM's thunder and come as close as they could to breaking the embargo if SRAM 1x12 is in the work by making the story about 1x12 about themselves, not SRAM.
Last edited by 2lo8 on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

2lo8

by 2lo8

AZR3 wrote:
glam2deaf wrote::roll: getting mad at marketing doing it's job....

So it's marketing's job to allow misinformation about their product to go uncorrected?

So hypothetically a cycling publication posts a story about a new Shimano product with a feature that doesn't exsist and it's not shimano's responsibility to correct that mistake?

Those Shimano C40 clinchers. Just marketing. Shimano was just doing their job, obviously. Especially when Shimano not just had the information in press releases, but also started posting on forums, had multiple Shimano employees posting on forums, and couldn't even pretend to feign ignorance.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

AZR3

by AZR3

Lol, that's exactly what I was hinting at, nice catch

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

2lo8 wrote:So you've never thought an advertisement full of bull was stupid and just told yourself "they're just doing their job."

I do almost everyday. I can't remember a press release/ad that I though was 100% genuine or truthful. But I can also see 3t have a cool (in my opinion) product that they believe in and are trying to get the information out there.

To be honest it was really just using fake news and alternative facts un-ironically that got to me.

But I go back to my first point. It's a month later and people are still talking about this bike, not just here, but in a lot of other places.

ps. I'm in sales and customer support, so just a small step above marketing.

2lo8

by 2lo8

The article from bikeradar posted in this thread literally calls it fake news, and it was half tongue in cheek. Not ironic as you put it, but sardonic. They seem to enjoy basing wonk theories on facts that are counterfactual.

3T certainly enjoyed the exposure from 12 speed rumors.

And I already explained, my responses aren't even to the press release, the press release is only the context for the behavior of 3T employees posting on these forums. I already explained exactly what you said, press release have hype, they're not going to say bad things about their own product. I in fact, explained all this stuff in the post directly proceeding yours. So it's a bit counter-intuitive to try to insert this as new information. If they want attention in the form of admitting their "future of bikes" thing is actually a "niche fred bike" they can take it.

Certainly sales and customer service can be just as bad, like when I'm told there are manufacturing tolerances on top of published manufacturing tolerances.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

2lo8 wrote:like when I'm told there are manufacturing tolerances on top of published manufacturing tolerances.

:lol: okay that is a new one.

I don't know, maybe I just feel comradery with these guys getting blasted online backing their product. It's a bit hard to spin product limitations in a positive light.

I'm just looking forward to throwing a leg over one, and I'm a sucker for red bikes.

AZR3

by AZR3

I've asked here and in a few other places about when 3T's mystery cassette would be shown and if it was a 12spd unit....no one answered that question in any of the forums I posted it yet as soon as the article about it not being 12spd is posted then superdave finally says something about can't make a 12spd cassette with out shifters.....SO WHY SO QUIET WHEN THE THREAD HAS "1x12" IN THE TITLE?!?! Why say anything now and not in your first post?!? He should have said in his first post that it will be 1x11 at first and when 1x12 comes out that it should support that standard as well.

I was really interested in the bike and I figured that 1x12 (or as the bikeradar article mentioned the possibility to even go 1x13 in the future) could be enough to consider switching to a 1x bike and not loose too much versatility. I'm just disappointed in the silence about a reported feature that actually isn't.

spud

by spud

I'm not a believer is this concept (aero, wide tire, 1x). But I think you guys are being way too hard on SD. I remember back when he worked for Felt, and this forum couldn't get enough of the guy for his product knowledge and assistance with regards to the then new AR frame series.

Big surprise, he wants to market a new bike. And there's likely knowledge of upcoming product lines that he can't share. draw your own conclusions, but you guys have practically guaranteed he won't come back to forum.
Last edited by spud on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marin

by Marin

I think some of you - especially 2lo8 who I respect a lot for his knowledge - are being too harsh.

I like 1x, because simple. It works for me, and the majority of my active road bikes are now 1x.
Aero as currently sold is mostly a scam, but everyone who can read the data knows this already :D
Disc brakes - please no, not simple enough, and they're for beginners.

BTW, from the 3t Strada website: TIRE CLEARANCE Effective width: 28mm, Wheel radius: 344mm (wheel radius)

So the 30mm spec is gone because Conti makes their tires too wide :doh:

https://www.3t.bike/en/3t-bikes/strada-1.html

Still, kudos to 3T for trying to innovate. I'd love to do a test ride on one of those.

AZR3

by AZR3

I don't think it's too much to ask for someone that works for the company and is answering questions to correct misinformation about their product, not simply ignore it. In all the threads I read about the announcement the 1x12 was a focial point of the conversation so to let that misleading inaccuracy continue is disappointing.

And if there is a 12spd road group being worked on that they can't talk about then that's fine but make a correction stating that the bike will be 1x11 at launch. No need to comment on future products just state the facts as they currently are.

Fiery

by Fiery

Has this review been posted? https://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/reviews/ ... eview.html

The spec sheet states clearance of “effective 28mm”, the width to which many 25s will inflate on wider rims. We put this to Vroomen. “Effective 28mm means true measurement as opposed to whatever it says on the label,” he told us. “So that depends on the model, the rim width, the pressure, etc. The Conti’s are 29mm and, to be honest, that is still within spec, we just list the spec a bit conservatively because we know people will go a bit beyond it anyway. The Conti is also 1mm beyond the recommended radius.” He didn’t comment on the scratches to our test bike.

So it seems it's not just about Continental tyres being larger than specified.
Last edited by Fiery on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marin

by Marin

Local bikeshop Veletage seems to have a demo bike. I think I'll drop by to have a look :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWIWgqFAAnQ ... y=veletage

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

AZR3 wrote:And if there is a 12spd road group being worked on that they can't talk about then that's fine but make a correction stating that the bike will be 1x11 at launch. No need to comment on future products just state the facts as they currently are.

You saw the photos of the bike at launch, no? All equipped with 1 x 11 speed.
There's a 12 speed group that is under embargo, so we'll leave that update for when there's something more to share.

Thanks for your commentary.

SD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Well, it should be so strange since it has already been done.

http://road.cc/content/news/72031-tiso- ... over-video

Anyway, who says Srams next release isn't a 12 speed road (cx) groupset since they already have Eagle
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.