Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:13 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 715 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:31 am 

with 12/13 speed possible with the new disc wheel geometry 1x setup make a lot of sense.

for the older members on this forum 12 speed road bikes were common in the pro peloton until the mid 80's. eddy/lemond/hinault won plenty of grand tours with this limitation.

btw shimano/sram believe in 1x setup. good article READ

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/artic ... ine-50240/

2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0 DI2 9150

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:31 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:49 am 

RyanH wrote:
Is this a clincher thing or taking advantage of people that believe bigger = better? Is anyone actually running ~30mm and prefer the feel?

I know of two people with new custom roadies running Schwable One tubeless in 30 mm at 45-65 psi who love the feel.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:53 am 

In the words of Karsten, are they Paceliners?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:26 am 

fa63 wrote:
I also don't agree with the more aesthetically pleasing part; a long cage rear derailleur / giant pie-plate cassette with a 46-48t chainring up front doesn't look good to me. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I would agree that slapping a SRAM Eagle drivetrain on a road bike would be a horrorshow. As Dorothy Parker said, beauty may be skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone.

But I personally wouldn't run anything like a 10-42 cassette on this frame. Most of the time, is run maybe an 11-28 with a 46-tooth chainring. For flat races, I might run an 11-23 with a 48. The new Dura-Ace and Ultegra rear derailleurs have fairly long cages; I'd hope that a 1x12 SRAM derailleur wouldn't have a cage that's any longer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:13 pm 

My favourite design feature for an "aero gravel" bike is the lack of tire-frame clearance. You take that onto gravel with even a hint of humidity in the air and the fork/down tube and seat tube will be scratched to all hell. If there is a pebble anywhere it might actually stall the whole bike. But i guess you gotta make compromises to have the fastest aero bike on gravel.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:22 pm 

It will be interesting to see how it will be accepted by the typical cyclist who actually are in the market for a similar frameset/ bike.
I thought it was mostly endurance bike using 30mm tires and disc brakes.
Now it seems BMC also pushes this with their Roadmachine. They even use a trail of 62mm (off topic, but anyway!)
I personally find the gaps in the ratio a bit of a downsizer.

Mostly found issues with 2*11 riding in extreme mud or when it's winter (snow).
Caused real hassles with the FD (using 6870).
On the other hand, i guess no-one will ride a bike like this, in either conditions.

Gerard is a big fan of the simplicity of 1*11/ 1*12 (no FD).
Not strange that is is close to S5 and if you read about it, this project idea of his, had been rolling for about 10 years.
BTW, sure, it is close to S5, but Exploro is close to UP.

Ax Lightness Vial EVO D
Paduano Racing Fidia
Open *UP*
https://opencycle.com/showcase/the-xplo ... eelsonfire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:33 pm 

NiFTY wrote:
My favourite design feature for an "aero gravel" bike is the lack of tire-frame clearance. You take that onto gravel with even a hint of humidity in the air and the fork/down tube and seat tube will be scratched to all hell. If there is a pebble anywhere it might actually stall the whole bike. But i guess you gotta make compromises to have the fastest aero bike on gravel.

To be fair to 3T, they are not marketing this as an "aero gravel bike". This is meant as a pure aero road machine, with disc brakes and clearance for larger tires.

3T's Exploro is their aero gravel bike:

My Photoblog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:42 pm 

wheelsONfire wrote:
Not strange that is is close to S5 and if you read about it, this project idea of his, had been rolling for about 10 years.

In what way, seriously, is it close to the S5? :noidea:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:50 pm 

Though I'm excited about 1x on the road, the chainline will be a problem for racing bikes and their short chainstays. I ride a 2007 R3, which I believe has 385mm chainstays. I literally cannot crosschain, even if I want to: the short stays mean the chain angle will dump the chain off the big ring if I shift to my largest cog. It may take ten seconds, but it will happen.

The Cyclingnews article that Spartan linked to shows Shimano and SRAM patents that would allow chainrings to actively align with the chain as it moves across the cassette. Obviously, that would solve the chain line problem.

I also can't help wondering if we'll see Shimano bring back their 10mm-pitch chain and corresponding drivetrain. (Bike chains currently use a 12.7mm pitch). They could do it as a 1x14, keeping cog and chainring diameters the same as for standard gears (but with more teeth). A 65/14 would be roughly equivalent to a 53/11, and the chain would have more links in it, making it more flexible. Narrower cogs would wear faster, but they'd also have more teeth, which would compensate for that.

I believe that Gates' belt drive system uses a 10mm pitch, for what it's worth. I have a fixed-gear belt-drive bike that uses a 55/12, but the 10mm pitch means that the chainring and cog diameters are roughly equal to a 42/17 with a standard chain pitch.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:23 pm 

re: f163 "To be fair to 3T, they are not marketing this as an "aero gravel bike". This is meant as a pure aero road machine, with disc brakes and clearance for larger tires."

While they are maybe not designing it as a pure gravel bike they are certainly suggesting it is gravel capable. In the official promotional video it is seen ridden on numerous occasions over gravel roads (which are covered in gravel) and over the cobbles of paris-roubaix (which are not known for not being dusty and gritty)

Exhibit A: Official 3T Strada video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=965MSdWOkwc
Exhibit B: Lemonds face at roubaix http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_PQKTRN9N-7s/S ... ix+mud.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:58 pm 

all that work and no specially shaped waterbottle/cage???

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:29 pm 

wingguy wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:

In what way, seriously, is it close to the S5? :noidea:

Don't you think S5 is a close resemblance?
I could ask you, how do you not see they are alike?
Probably more close to Rose X-lite, but surely it reminds of S5.

Ax Lightness Vial EVO D
Paduano Racing Fidia
Open *UP*
https://opencycle.com/showcase/the-xplo ... eelsonfire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:32 pm 

wheelsONfire wrote:
Don't you think S5 is a close resemblance?

Nope.

Quote:
I could ask you, how do you not see they are alike?

I could ask you, which bits are the same?

It's got a sloping top tube, the cable routing from the gen 1 and maybe the name 'Vroomen' written on it somewhere. That's it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:27 am 

I don't think anyone is saying they are identical, however there is a similar appearance and vibe.

Also this looks incredible in the red!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:33 am 

Zitter wrote:
I've said my piece. It's not for everyone, but if you see value in the advantages vs disadvantages then you'll love it. I've been riding it and smiling all the way.

We will be coming out with our own cassette btw...

So when do we get to see this 3T cassette?

I have to admit at first I wasn't interested in this but with the possibility of a 1x13 (using XDR hub the possibility of a 13spd cassette, at some point down the line, was hinted at in BikeRumor article) I could see myself being tempted...

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:33 am 

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 715 Next